Have Brethren box rating threads upped the ante at competitions?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
In the two years I have been a Brethren I have noticed a general improvement in presentation of the turn-in boxes we have been asked to comment on in the forum.

This got me to wondering if this Brethren spirit of sharing information with and offering hints to each other has actually influenced the turn-in presentation scores of everyone at contests by upping the norm.

It would be interesting to see what those of you who compete say.

I think you have a good point. The turn-in boxes I have judged are not even close to the quality of turn-in boxes I see displayed here. Good post Jim.

I think you have a good point too, Jim, although looking at good boxes and then making good boxes are completely different.

At first I thought that posting pictures of turn in boxes was NOT a good idea... for exactly that reason, you just upped your own competition. ?????

Then, I thought some more and, what the hell, sharing helps teams (including ours) to get better and that ups EVERYONE's competition. Plus, then competitors get a small glimpse into what some judges are thinking when they see a box and how they approach judging, at least appearance-wise.
We may not always LIKE it, but it gives us something to chew on.

I believe it has made a difference, especially in our neck of the woods.

I have to admit though, I rarely post pics of our BBQ boxes... well, maybe...
if they were 1st place... or if they were DAL. :>
I was 'advised' not to by the boss....
Grilling boxes are completely different, especially with open garnish.

Attachments

• DSC03806.jpg
    DSC03806.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 87
I think you have a good point too, Jim, although looking at good boxes and then making good boxes are completely different.

At first I thought that posting pictures of turn in boxes was NOT a good idea... for exactly that reason, you just upped your own competition. ?????

Then, I thought some more and, what the hell, sharing helps teams (including ours) to get better and that ups EVERYONE's competition. Plus, then competitors get a small glimpse into what some judges are thinking when they see a box and how they approach judging, at least appearance-wise.
We may not always LIKE it, but it gives us something to chew on.

I believe it has made a difference, especially in our neck of the woods.

I have to admit though, I rarely post pics of our BBQ boxes... well, maybe...
if they were 1st place... or if they were DAL. :>
I was 'advised' not to by the boss....
Grilling boxes are completely different, especially with open garnish.

When I see a beautifully creative garnish like that which doesn't detract from but adds to look of the meat, I often wonder why KCBS limits the garnish allowed.

As our team tries to improve. The boxes have been very difficult. When we turn in a box that “we” think is very good. Then receive less than good appearance scores. We have nothing to go on. Where as if we receive a low score on our brisket. They tell us exactly what they didn’t like about it. Tenderness, taste ect. And we can work on that. If it’s the box or appearance we don’t know if it was balance .. color of the food … more garnish .. less garnish.

I/we appreciate all the help and opinions that we can get.

Back