First post, I'm glad to see others are crazy about Weber too. I've been planning to buy a 22" kettle this year but after reading this post Sunday I checked on the local Craigslist to see if I could find one. "Weber" didn't return anything, but struck gold using "Webber".

Both for $50. Not a total steal, but I needed a Smokey Joe for my camping trips so I figure the 22" cost $30 :)

Also told my dad never to get rid of his 22" from 1975, the one I learned to grill on in the 90s.

what a great find. three wood handles ! looks in great shape also.

I rescued this one from my neighbor. FREE. He was glad to get rid of it I think he thinks I am a little nuts for asking for it. He just bought the house from an old couple, they left it behind. It needs a new ash catcher and one touch system. Ordered and on the way, will be here tommorow!

Vents top and bottom are wide open.

What year weber do you have? Do it have the one touch vent or with old style daisy wheel vents like on the lid? The old style vents don't allow much air in since they are so small. If you're having this issue all the time with the one touch cleaning system and large vents then maybe having it out of the wind is part of the problem. Heck I have no idea, just thinking out loud here.

Last edited:
Depending on how heavily oxidized the finish is, polishing or rubbing compound would work once any dirt and grease have been removed.

Brad

Its in pretty good shape, just needs a good cleaning. The lid is really dull, any body know of a good way to bring it back?

Bar keepers Friend (BKF) is a terrific product for this, will not scratch the porcelain coating.
Lowes carries it and its cheap.

bkf_cans.jpg

Its in pretty good shape, just needs a good cleaning. The lid is really dull, any body know of a good way to bring it back?
This kettle was neglected by the previous owners and must be turned over to an authorized Weber Grill Decency agent as evidence in the legal case that will soon be pending against them. Lucky for you, I am an authorized agent. PM me for shipping details.

Seriously, if the dome is dull you may not be able to get that glossy finish back. I clean my Webers with Greased Lightning and a green ScotchBrite pad. If it doesn't shine after that, it's not going to.

Also, take those wood handles off, give them a very light sanding and brush them with some teak oil (available at Home Depot). Multiple light coats. It will waterproof them and give them a very deep, rich finish.

Good score!

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna give it a shot but I don't think the shine will come back. I already tried baking soda figuring it would be a very light abrasive and that did not touch it. As for the handles I can definitely bring those back. I forgot to tell you guys i scored this one from craigs list for 10 bucks right before Christmas.

Attachments

• 3n43m43l75Td5Q15P19c3f9ddfb36ea671872.jpg
    3n43m43l75Td5Q15P19c3f9ddfb36ea671872.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 859
I found my red kettle at a garage sale about 10 years ago - never used, mint condition...until I knocked it over taking to my truck. Idiot.

Attachments

• BBQ11.jpg
    BBQ11.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 833
26.75 kettle,

Bought a new 26.75 incher 3 weeks ago, this is one fine machine. With the coals to one side I smoked 3 slabs of ribs on a rack, next day a 8 lb butt, and both were kick a$$. The temperature is easy to maintain, it took about 3.5 hrs for the ribs and about 8 hrs for the butt before wrapping. Added coals and sprayed with apple juice every hour. The smoking capacity is not as great as the WSM and the finished product may not be quite as good as the WSM (my crowd couldn't complain with their mouthes full), but you do have versitility. I grilled a load of burgers, steaks, and chickens for a crowd, all were quite tasty. If "there can be only one", this is my recomendation. I am a Kettle Appreciator.

Man that is a scary looking.......... oh yeah stay on topic, Kettle.
Congrats on the successful dumpster dive. You know those parts take less cleaning if you use them for a UDS.:twisted:

I have to make a handle for the ash thingy. I am going to enjoy FRESH bbq made that day.

Usually I never get to eat anything as every morsel of my big orders is spoken for. In addition... i never get to experiment.

Its not typical I would fire up my big pits for a one off smoke.

I finally have a nice new complete Weber to put into this thread for future posterity:

and so it shall be said, My Mini Weber Kettle!!: I told my wife now all's I need is a barrel to match it to make a Ultra Mini UDS out of.:mrgreen::biggrin::rolleyes:
100_1824.jpg

My new 22 OTS -

Needs dirty'in up:becky:

Attachments

• box5.jpg
    box5.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 897
  • box7.jpg
    box7.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 895
I cooked on the same Weber kettle from 1969-1990. That old friend moved with me at least 10 times. My wife sold it in a moving sale without asking me. I do like my current black OTG, but I still miss that coppertone.

New here and love this forum.

I've been cooking on the 22 1/2" kettles since 1973 and today I just scored a cl find for $20. A silver 22 1/2 incher used twice) with lid holder, utensil holder, side tray, briq. rails and cover and he tossed in a very nice condition 20 year old 26" with with wood handles plus the cover. This brings my current kettle stash to one 22 1/2" gold with smokenator, one 22 1/2" gold nib, one pre 1985 22 1/2" with wood handles plus the two I just came home with. All this plus the gassers (3) and the smc (not to mention my previous webers) must make me a Weber nut. I will be posting pics of creations in the near future.

Back