• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Reheating

V

volkanator

So I wanted to run this by you folks...

Is it me or does leftover BBQ that has been reheated seem way smokier then when you first took it off the grill?

I'm talking about after you've eaten your fill and put the leftovers in the fridge in aluminum foil or something. The next day after re-heating it in the microwave or whatever it tastes just way smokier and really no very good at all.

How do you guys reheat? Especially you pro's?

I feel like reheating is really an essential element here because so many items (turkey, brisket, ham, shoulder, etc) yield way more servings then I need. Does that mean I have to restrict my BBQ regimen to burgers and dogs until I have a party? No way. The un-smoked life is not worth living!

So I ask you...how do I do this so the food tastes off the grill yummy even after being frozen/refrigerated?

I have seen mention of freezing in some type of special bags and then boiling to reheat? What kind of hardware do I need to make that happen and is the reheated food quality worth the investment?

An answer to this dilemma would be huge because I feel I throw away way too much.

So I wanted to run this by you folks...

Is it me or does leftover BBQ that has been reheated seem way smokier then when you first took it off the grill?

I think it's because you kind of get saturated in smoke while smoking. By the time you go back and reheat some Q, you've had a chance to clear your senses, and your tasting what everybody else tasted the day of.

That's my opinion anyway, worth price charged.

-scott

I think it's because you kind of get saturated in smoke while smoking. By the time you go back and reheat some Q, you've had a chance to clear your senses, and your tasting what everybody else tasted the day of.

That's my opinion anyway, worth price charged.

-scott

I'll agree with that! :biggrin:

Vacuum seal and reheat in boiling water.

Ditto!

I tend to agree with the above comments; the smoke can dull your sense of it... I expect my house will smell quite delicious after working at the office all day today...

Agree with others above on all counts. You get "desensitized" to the smell of smoke when you spend all day in it. Think about the first time you walk into a room with a peculiar smell. Eventually you can't smell it at all. I believe the same thing happens with smoke.
I'm actually the opposite of you though, I think smoked food tastes better for me later on after I've re-heated it and I haven't been exposed to smoke all day.

And also, vacuum sealing and reheating in water is the way to go. I've even taken que that's in the fridge and vacuum sealed it just for re-heating because it really seals in the flavor and keeps the meat from drying out. Ruins bark though, but small price to pay.

All I know is my fridge smells better the next day. I'm going to have to try the sealed sealed bag & boiling.

Yep, what ^^^^^ they all said. When I cook, I can't smell or taste the smokiness that day but the next day it really is good! Get yourself a good vacu-sucker like Food-saver & stop wasting your goodies.

Back