freezing pork

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Due to a miscalculation on the number of people at a recent event, i ended up with 10-12 pounds of chopped pork leftover. We are having it tonight for dinner but will still have a ton left. I recently got a foodsaver, and was planning on vac packaging the meat in 1-2 lb packages. I was wondering if i needed to sauce the meat before packaging, or if the vacuum was good enough. I had even considered adding a little apple juice/vinegar mix. I didn't want the meat to get freezerburn. Thanks for the help.

I have always had to sauce before freezing in order to prevent freezer burn. ( i have always used freezer bags, or the cheap vauum bags from reynolds) Will the foodsaver prevent that from happening?

I have always had to sauce before freezing in order to prevent freezer burn. ( i have always used freezer bags, or the cheap vauum bags from reynolds) Will the foodsaver prevent that from happening?

Are you using a deep freeze? I have no problem with freezer burn with my meat when using a Foodsaver. Just can't keep it forever.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1421281 said:
Are you using a deep freeze? .
It will be stored in the deep freeze. Thanks for the help. I pulled out 2 lbs of pulled chuckie to thaw for some soup. It had only been in there a month or two and was badly burned and i would hate for that to happen with all this pork.

It will be stored in the deep freeze. Thanks for the help. I pulled out 2 lbs of pulled chuckie to thaw for some soup. It had only been in there a month or two and was badly burned and i would hate for that to happen with all this pork.

I try to keep anything from touching the sides of the freezer. Mine is an older chest model I picked up for a song, no racks or bins. I use cardboard boxes and a milk crate to keep things organized and away from the sides.

Freezer burn is primarily caused by air - if there is no air, no burn.

throw a little apple juice or pan drippings in before you vac seal it, and just throw the bag in boiling water to reheat, works like a charm!

Don't put too much A.J. or Sauce on the pork; when you vacuum out the air it will
pull the liquid out too and make it harder to get a good seal.

As mentioned above....air is the primary cause of "freezer burn"...so vacuum packing
is the best way to go.:thumb:

Last edited:
I went without the AJ this time, just meat. It went great! I have been using a POS resealable bags from reynolds that have a vacuum, but have never been happy. The foodsaver is great. I did 8 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lb bags of chopped pork in no time. While i was playing with it, i portioned out a 10 lb box of sausage patties i got recently into manageable portions. I love that thing. Can't believe i went this long without one.

I am thinking that for the next comp, i can pre-trim chicken and ribs at home, and then vac pac them, and don't have to worry about water getting in the bags like zip-loc.

Back