MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

The FOUR AM Grind

So for the first time I bet in what seems like a decade, I wake up to check a damn brisket. I am out of my element. He says it should be ready at 4. He also says it serves me right for putting the thing on at 7 PM. Duh!!!! I am not a happy camper.
Facebook
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Meat at Four A.M.

Imma Scared...

I have been poking fun at asshats every time they come in here saying "helppppppp, my brisket is ruined." Now I get that feeling.... must be in our genes.

But is it ruined?

Internals are not quite 155. Basically, I am feeling the panic for a second or two many people do when they start blindly poking around. Parts feel burned, tough, dry.... but are they? Knowing the brisket is only at 150 helps you. I wrapped it up with NO liquid, in paper then foil (just because I was worried about the paper burning because I do not have an isolator between my meat and my fire. I ramped the temp up to run between 230 and 250. Next check 4 hours.
Facebook

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 01-20-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #33
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

8 Am Check.

Facebook

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #34
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

You'll be back to hot and fast before you know it

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #35
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Here is the Brisket. Typically people rest it on the counter or in the cooler then slice. My process (which I got from Kreuz when it was Smittys - Blacks, Taylor Cafe.. all those big legendary brisket houses) rests the brisket for a long time. The fat in between those layers is filled with a bath of three things the meat fibers love to take a bath in, fat, collagen and moisture). A brisket can feel like it has lost all its moisture then pop back.
Facebook

Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #36
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
You'll be back to hot and fast before you know it Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well.... I have not tasted or even sliced it yet. Now in this video you hear me mention the "heat."

My Rub combination is optimized for my purposes, which was full blown no wrap until its done and ready for resting.

Because of the nature of the smoker (I have not added a diverter yet) I decided it would be best to wrap it. This keep the black pepper from transforming into that earthy flavor. So, it retained a lot of its heat. Not a bad thing just different. I probably will tweak the Tri rub blends for UDS.

I can see me putting this same brisket on at 7 AM at 270, wrapping in paper at maybe noon, doing a rest/cook at 220 until 3, then 170 rest for serving at 5 or 6. But then again, the UDS is variable and not a pre-set job so you can do that. I really like my one inch pipes too.
Facebook

Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #37
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm tired just watching that painful process I hope you trip and hit your head in your weariness jar your brain and come back to your senses,,,, Nap time.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #38
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I'm tired just watching that painful process I hope you trip and hit your head in your weariness jar your brain and come back to your senses,,,, Nap time.
Actually, I think its more a timing issue. Phil let me know that... but I did it this way because I was excited about the new UDS (my first one I actually got to use) and my boys needed to see it put on before they went to bed so they could wake up and see what happened overnight.

I will next time dress the meat up at 8 to rest, probably fire the pit up at 10 and put on the meat after Two and a half men, (11:00) for a stable 230 cook, then wrap in the morning for my long rest at 170... in the pit of course. So far, my UDS cranks real well at 150 to 180 too. Must be the 1" pipes and couplings (essentially those TANDEM valves, black iron and elbows with U Bolts set me back around 95 alone. TWO inch inch hole with a refrigerator magnet would be fine too. Then there is the whole stoker thing too.

Now for a Kale shake to prep for the day.
Facebook

Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #39
Bludawg

Glad you enjoying the UDS I am still amazed at how well they cook. I call mine the Magic BBQ machine;
Meat goes in stiff and cold and comes out hot & wet & limp and all it has to do is just lie there for hrs. I fell guilty like I'm cheating every time I look at Beulah sitting there watching all cold with no meat in her box.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #40
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Glad you enjoying the UDS I am still amazed at how well they cook. I call mine the Magic BBQ machine;
Meat goes in stiff and cold and comes out hot & wet & limp and all it has to do is just lie there for hrs. I fell guilty like I'm cheating every time I look at Beulah sitting there watching all cold with no meat in her box.
The wife marvels how mine, still at my age and after my problem this week, that as you can see from the video, mine cames out stiff hot and wet. Of course, it was ready and willing to be put back in the box again. Hold it, what are we talking about?
Facebook

Last edited by Pitmaster T; 01-20-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #41
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Glad it worked out. My UDS is my favorite cooker, probably because I built it myself and it holds temps nicely. I'm thinking about naming it with a different acronym and selling them, of course mine won't be a UDS because, well, I said so!

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #42
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

i have two innovations myself, as well as the hook thing these things have had since the 1940s, that i'd like to market..... but i need purple powder coat and a local texas brotha to go in with me. none of those innovations are on this uds.
Facebook

Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #43
N8man
Babbling Farker

nice cooker you got there D....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #44
Boshizzle

Brisket and UDS look really good!

BTW - Here is a link with some really good brisket cooking tips you may want to check out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=109807

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #45
triplezip
Knows what a fatty is.

UDS's are built for brisket, but I've spent a few nights babysitting the ball-valve. I think the Guru advice on this thread is legit... Can't wait to optimize the UDS, get a good nights sleep and wake up to some perfectly cooked brisket.

Eastern Beast BBQ Team - KCBS CBJ
Backwoods Competitor
Twin black UDS's
Winco CO-301
Lang 84D
triplezip is offline   Reply With Quote