• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CyberQ WiFi Web Service Info (Super Nerdy)

Curious, how far is your controller from your wifi router? Do you think it's a distance issue or maybe walls the signal has to pass through?

Rick

Guys thanks for all the help. Still not to happy with my CyberQ Wifi :tsk:. Did a dry run Sat. the CyberQ Wifi would drop from my router about every 15 mins. so had to buy and install a repeater so I could get a better signle out side. Did some ribs today and the software worked great over 6 hours low and slow. My cyberQ II worked great and the software was great. Cant make up my mind on which one to keep using. Guess I will wait for a frimware up date and a Ipad app. before I make a decision. Thank you all

The controller is less than 60 feet away. My phone anf ipad get 4 bars . I never haved trouble with them droping. So I added a repeater and now my phone and Ipad get 5 bars and no dropes from the CybeQ .

I think it is the controller when I first got it had a hell of time set it up. I had to send it back and they replaced the board. when i got it back I still had a hard time with set it up. Works a lot better now with the repeater. BTW your software Rocks:thumb:

The controller is less than 60 feet away. My phone anf ipad get 4 bars . I never haved trouble with them droping. So I added a repeater and now my phone and Ipad get 5 bars and no dropes from the CybeQ .

It's really not the distance, it's what's in between that matters. Things like aluminum siding, low-E windows, etc. all cut signal strength.

I ordered my CyberQ WIfi on Friday. Spent many hours reading (mainly here) prior to ordering. My tech skill level is somewhere between novice and advanced. I set up my home networks and "tecky" gadgets with no problem, normally. I have a very fast comcast internet connection (+/- 28mbs down and 8.5mbs up ) and a good dual band router with great signal strength. Based upon this, what is the probability of me being able to set this up to perform away from my home network?
I also have one more question (proably stupid). I have a Verizon 4lt hotspot that I would like to use at comps (when away from home network). Can this be configured to utilize the hotspot and be accessed from the web?
Thanks for any comments/help.

With regards to your ability to setup at home, you can do it. It shouldn't be that hard. Naked Whiz just did a write up on their page that might be good assistance (beyond what you might have read on these forums).

As for the hotspot, if you can log into some sort of webpage for the hotspot, it might be configurable. Otherwise, call verizon and ask for help.

I should have a working iPhone version very soon. As soon as I do, i can post some links for people to download the test version. After that Android will be available shortly after. If everything goes well with the phone version, I will also release the iPad and Android tablet versions.

Thanks for all of the feedback!!

Any update on a release?

I'm not aware of anything currently available for Android or iPhone, but given the simplicity of the interface it probably wouldn't be too much work for any developers that have made a Stoker app to make it work with both the Stoker and the CyberQ.

I may work on an Android app myself, but I'd rather just pay someone else a few bucks if there is something out there already.

I'm looking into adding Guru support to StokeMaster for the iOS devices. But I need to save up my money to get a Guru first. :-D

iPhone/Android App Update

Hi Guys,

I have talked a couple of times with the engineer of the Wifi Guru and they are supposed to be releasing a firmware update this week and I am going to be testing the app with. I have had some issues with the web server losing its connection and this new firmware is supposed to fix this. I want to test this new firmware before I send out any test app.

I can provide some more screen shots if anyone is interested.

Thanks

There will be a CyberQ Wifi firmware update coming out soon. Below are the new features/fixes.

Once I have tested the changes and the firmware update is released a new CyberQ Wifi Windows Controller update will be made available.

Note: The firmware upgrade will reset your controller to the factory settings.

The updates are:
• All webpages and XML files password protected. Username and password can be set on the WIFI page.
• HTTP port can now be modified, from the WIFI webpage or the LCD UI.
• Added all.xml - this is similar to status.xml but has more sensor info (names and setpoints). Not adding these values to status.xml, to keep the execution of status.xml low.
• Added config.xml - this is similar to all.xml but adds all user configurable values.
• WIFI key removed from LCD UI for security.
• All web pages have a reset button that will reset the CyberQ.
• TCP/IP stack, SMTP client and HTTP server updated. This should eliminate some problems people have with WPA/WPA2 (more aggressive reconnecting). This should eliminate some problems people have with routers that don't forward ARP requests onto 1/2Mpbs. This should eliminate some problems with the HTTP server locking up, or complicated web pages shutting of the WIFI module. SMTP client should look for buffer empty before closing (should and other changes should resolve issues with e-mails getting cut off).
• WIFI key (once entered) is hidden from LCD UI
• Splash screen updated. Shows connecting while waiting for connect. Delay changed to 25s. You can press a button to exit.
• To prevent any spurious alarms from getting latched, the alarms automatically reset when the alarm condition goes away.
The ramp feature has been modified to prevent the pit setpoint from rising regardless of the pit and meat setpoints

Last edited:
Based on the Guru DXII I think the best test is to get some meat on the smoker. As I would call it run a test.
· By Meat
· Season meat
· Open Beer
· Light smoker
· Turn on your new toy.
· Validate systems running
· Open next Beer
· Listen to fan running
· Once the Pit is to programmed to temp determine the number of beers left.
· Wait one half hour
· Validate systems running
· Open Pit door. Wait one minute ( wiggle probes do what ever people do when they open the pit up ( mop the meat ))
· Sit down
· Listen for the fan
· Watch your graphs
· Drink a beer.

I think you will be happy at this point

If not bill your time to some losing job and plan for the next smoking test.

Any more news on when the firmware update for CyberQ Wifi will be out? I used the Wifi last weekend and the cyberQ II this past weekend and I still like the CyberQ II better due to the software and No dropes. Cant wait for the firmware update. Wright now my CyberQ wifi is just a great $300.00 paper weight.

Hi RitchieA,

I have been testing the beta firmware and I believe they will be releasing the GA version sometime this week.

They have seemed to fix the issue with the Wifi connection dropping. The webpages also load alot faster too.

Once the firmware goes GA I will post a link on the forum.

Thanks for the info. I do not understand why They (Bqq Guru) let this controller go out whit these problems. I have two of the other controllers and love them. I don’t much care for the plastic case. I would have preferred metal case with an antenna and some software to go with it. Maybe after this firmware update we can look forward to some great software and I pad App. Thanks

I just ordered and received the CyberQ wifi. I noticed the instructions were for version 1.0 of the firmware but my CyberQ still had .8 installed.

I was able to set it up in ad hoc instantly -- will try to do the infrastructure with my router later this evening.

BTW -- is there a way to reset this thing to factory defaults in case I screw up the router config? I'm afraid of moving it from ad hoc to infrastructure and then discovering I can't communicate with it anymore. Can I reset it from the keypad?

(I had all about 10 minutes to look at it yesterday -- test the unit and fan -- but I haven't been able to spend much time with it. The web pages seem to come up very slow -- very annoying. I noticed that when I was browsing the config screens on my iPhone.)

Yeah, but they have made some great improvements with the latest firmware, such as the ability to add a username and password so that random people cannot connect to the device.

I am currently working on an app for for iPhone and Android devices. Should have iPhone version done soon, had to wait for new firmware.

If you are interested see my previous post on page

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132610&page=6

scroll to the bottom to see some screen shots of the iPhone version

Back