MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Default First Sausage Run

Finally got around to making some home made sausage. Thank you to Sleebus.Jones for the pointers and detailed instructions.

Sleebus Jones original post.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=242074

My last post.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=266518

Made a 5lbs batch out of pork butt and tri-tip.

Soaked the natural hog casings.

Seasoned with salt, pepper, mustard powder, crushed garlic cure number one, and a little dehydrated milk powder.

mixed the seasoning in with the water.

Tri-tip and pork butt.

Hog casing on a vintage Kitchen Aid grinder. (The tube is new)

Ground with seasoning mixed in.

Stuffed and ready to hit the smoke.

Smoked between 175 and 200 for a couple hours.

I decided to poach one link per Sleebus.Jones instructions and leave one on the smoker for a while longer.

Ice bath.

Both links finished.

Both methods were good but I think I prefer the link that stayed in the smoker the whole time. The poach rinsed a bit of the smoke flavor off.

The seasoning portions was really a crap shoot. My digital scale is not sufficient for this and I will be ordering a new one that reads fractions of grams.

Thanks again for all the input and feedback in my original post a few weeks back.

Matt
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice coil! Sausage is a labor of love; it takes a lot of time, but once you make your own, you wonder why you ever bought it!

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-13-2018, 11:17 PM   #3
JDM46
is one Smokin' Farker

Goof job.
This is a Killer Recipe.
I set up a Excel Spreadsheet that calculates all of the ingredients according to the total weight of the sausage. Everything is calculated in grams. Spreadsheet takes all the quesswork out and give a exact mix every time.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:35 AM   #4
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Looking great! Nothing like homemade for sure. Thanks for the reminder.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2018, 12:52 AM   #5
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Nice work. I'm with you on the poaching. Depending on the sausage, I do steam to finish sometimes. It helps plump up the final product.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #6
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Nice Sausage mate, no going back now.
One day try Poaching then smoking, you may be surprised

Old 12-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Very nice Looking forward to seeing you do more
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #8
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Congratulations on a new hobby

Old 12-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #9
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Nice first attempt!! It'll get easier the more times you do it.

Couple of observations:

1. Needed to use mustard seeds, not mustard powder
2. I really don't use milk powder, never felt the need, but experimentation is part of the fun!
3. Did you have a separate ice bath, or did you dump ice into the poaching water? You may have, but hard to tell since it's the same pot. I always use a separate container.

As for washing the smoke off, well, that's the style of the recipe. :) If you get Polish sausage from someplace like Chicago, you'll find that it's not overly smoky, it's a light smoke. That's not to say that there isn't heavily smoked Polish sausage...some of the styles come out almost black!

So glad you gave it a try!
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
Nice first attempt!! It'll get easier the more times you do it.

Couple of observations:

1. Needed to use mustard seeds, not mustard powder
Was wondering if that made a big difference.

2. I really don't use milk powder, never felt the need, but experimentation is part of the fun!
It was an afterthought. Think I threw a 1/2 teaspoon in at the last min.

3. Did you have a separate ice bath, or did you dump ice into the poaching water? You may have, but hard to tell since it's the same pot. I always use a separate container.
I dumped the hot water and quickly replaced it what an ice bath.

As for washing the smoke off, well, that's the style of the recipe. :) If you get Polish sausage from someplace like Chicago, you'll find that it's not overly smoky, it's a light smoke. That's not to say that there isn't heavily smoked Polish sausage...some of the styles come out almost black!

So glad you gave it a try!
This was a lot of work but it was also a lot of fun. Next time it will be easier. a big part of it was figuring out things like separating and soaking the casing, getting the casing on the stuffer and managing the stuffing process which would have been a lot easier with a couple of extra hands. I had the process down pretty good about mid way through.

Thanks again for the help. You will definitely see a few more batches in the near future.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #11
G'Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

I am going to have to try this. That's why I have hanging rods in my smoker.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #12
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
This was a lot of work but it was also a lot of fun. Next time it will be easier. a big part of it was figuring out things like separating and soaking the casing, getting the casing on the stuffer and managing the stuffing process which would have been a lot easier with a couple of extra hands. I had the process down pretty good about mid way through.

Thanks again for the help. You will definitely see a few more batches in the near future.
Yup, mustard powder vs. seeds will make a big difference. You get pops of flavor rather than it spread throughout.

Casings are definitely entertaining, but wait until you try a recipe with lamb casings. It's like trying to open a piece of dental floss! They seem to exist solely to tie themselves in knots. Huge PITA. I'll only be buying tubed ones in the future...no cheap bulk packs thankyouverymuch!

Also with the poached sausage, if you had it on the same day, you may be a bit "nose blind" due to being around the smoker. On the second day, you'll probably be surprised as to how much smoke is in the sausage, and you'll probably notice it's a much more mellow, pleasant smoke than the unpoached. Or not!
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote