MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #8611
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Here is another question. Would anybody buy the pit barrel AP rub after using the sample? I have my tried and true rubs, so not sure about using the PBC rub. I mean is it any good? I imagine it is ok. All the videos I see, everybody with a PBC is using it. Must have to do with the free barrel they sent out for review!
AP is good but Beef and Game is better. Beef and Game used to be even better in the early days as I've mentioned before. The formula changed a little it seems but great rub nonetheless.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #8612
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

I like both but haven’t purchased more since the initial. Found others I like a bit better.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:44 PM   #8613
Twisted T's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
I have a question for any PBC'rs willing to chime in. How long do you trust your PBC to run on its own without checking it? As in, if you have to run errands, how long are you OK leaving the house, trusting that it will keep a reasonable temp? I say about 2 hours and not more than 3.
i have went 6 hours numerous times with out any problems and probably 8 hours a few times with no problems , now i will say there is no danger of me catching anything on fire or danger as far as that goes , only thing would be if the pit goes out witch never has ....
Twisted T's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #8614
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Doing my Butt today. So far so good. Temps holding better than last time. Just pulled it and wrapped it. So far looks pretty good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_a25.jpg (36.1 KB, 193 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #8615
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Little different news to report. The cooker seemed to be dying out temps dropped to 212. Butt has been on since 11am and still is not done. Internal temp is 180. Now I looked in and the coals are almost gone. I gave them a stir and temps are only getting to about 170, I mean I don’t think I am going to have enough to finish this thing. I mean WTF, why am I am having such a hard time with this thing? The coals seem to only burn in the middle and the outside coals are never touched. I filled the whole basket to the top?? This thing is going in the trash.

Last edited by Rib Rub; 04-22-2018 at 04:46 PM..
Rib Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #8616
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Little different news to report. The cooker seemed to be dying out temps dropped to 212. Butt has been on since 11am and still is not done. Internal temp is 180. Now I looked in and the coals are almost gone. I gave them a stir and temps are only getting to about 170, I mean I don’t think I am going to have enough to finish this thing. I mean WTF, why am I am having such a hard time with this thing? The coals seem to only burn in the middle and the outside coals are never touched. I filled the whole basket to the top??
At this point, I'd remove it and finish in the oven to pull. At 180 it's perfect for slicing if you wish. You've got enough smoke and flavor so you just need to bring to finish temps/probe tender.

You're only at 6 1/2 hours in judging from you posting time. You need a minimum of 6 hrs to finish a butt in the PBC. That's minimum.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)

Last edited by ssv3; 04-22-2018 at 04:53 PM..
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #8617
Av8er
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Little different news to report. The cooker seemed to be dying out temps dropped to 212. Butt has been on since 11am and still is not done. Internal temp is 180. Now I looked in and the coals are almost gone. I gave them a stir and temps are only getting to about 170, I mean I don’t think I am going to have enough to finish this thing. I mean WTF, why am I am having such a hard time with this thing? The coals seem to only burn in the middle and the outside coals are never touched. I filled the whole basket to the top?? This thing is going in the trash.
I have never had mine die out so quick! Are you using a full bag of kingsford?
Av8er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2018, 05:30 PM   #8618
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
I have never had mine die out so quick! Are you using a full bag of kingsford?
Yeah, I filled the basket to the top, pulled 40 coals, did that thing and off it went. Cooked great till I wrapped it and then it just seemed to die out at the 5 or so hour mark. This is the second time now this has happened. I only lifted the lid twice. I watched a video with T Roy cooks on his Boston Butt cook and he had the same problem, temps just died off around 5 or 6 hours. I am finishing this thing off in the pellet grill now. I have no choice.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #8619
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

So, to be clear, the fire died but there are unburnt coals still? Or fire died because the coals were totally gone?
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #8620
TheGDCQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

I've had my PBC for a couple of years now and it is has become my go to cooker for chicken and ribs. I normally do my bigger cuts on my BGE or my WSM, but I had a brisket to cook for my nephew's birthday and I was just too tired to do an overnight cook last night. I also slept through my 5 am alarm and woke up later than I needed too to pull this cook off. PBC to the rescue! I hung that brisket in the can and I was stunned at the results. Some of the best brisket I've ever cooked and in way less time. It's like I've found a new feature in an old toy. Love my PBC!
TheGDCQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #8621
pharp
Banned

Quote:

Sorry your not having the results you want.

Is the charcoal you are using all from the same batch? I know it is not probably from the same bag but is it from bags you bought at the same time? If so I would go get a new bag of charcoal.

I light mine by filling the basket as full as I can without going above the grab handle. Then I pour half of a large webber chimney in on top, half on each side of the handle, leaving a spot for my hand. I have gotten well over 10 hours on the PBC and I am always running 300+.

I get your frustration that you feel like it is not performing as advertised. I think you are in your own head now. It will put out awesome food and will run a long time on a load of charcoal.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #8622
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Man, this does sound baffling. Never had anything remotely like what you’re describing. You’ve got a few experts on the case here. Before discarding the thing you might want to give Noah a call—he’d help you. And of course immense knowledge right here if you want to walk through it on the PBCAT—lots of advice and experience at your fingertips happy to give you assistance.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #8623
Twisted T's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

@ Rib Rub man i think you must have some bad coal or something , i routinely throw a pork butt on let it run for an hour or 2 then go to bed come back 6 or so hours later to find the pbc purring along , seriously i have done this at least a hundred times probably more , probably a lot more , then wrap or pull or make any adjustments i need to make , and sometimes that means running an additional hour or 2 , so yeah i am thinking bad coal
Twisted T's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #8624
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

@Rib Rub- That's really bizarre. I've hung 5 butts, just under 40 pounds of meat, for 7.5 hours and still had @270* when they were done. (Made the local high school football team pretty happy). It was raining pork fat in the barrel and it never stumbled. I use Stubb's instead of KBB, but I doubt that it made that big of a difference. I wouldn't trash it yet. Chalk it up to "learning curve",
get a new bag of charcoal, grab an adult beverage, relax, and hit it again. All will be fine.
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2018, 01:40 PM   #8625
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Thanks for the replies guys! I was bent out of shape last night as one could expect. The grill was working great and doing its thing and then when it hit 163 I wrapped and came out an hour later and the temps dropped to 200 and were falling as I watched. I winded up pulling it off when it hit 170 as the pork internal was also falling from 180 to 165 as I pulled it out to do a little recon as to why I was losing temps.

Like I said all the coals were burnt in the middle and the outside coals were all around untouched. This is almost the same scenario as last time as it died out on me doing ribs. The only thing I can think of is that the vent needs to close a bit more. I am at sea level and I am wondering because I know I am below sea level as I have seen the elevation on my GPS. I am like -10 below. I don’t know if this has anything to do with it and I should just shut the vent to a sliver?

I have watched a hundred videos now, I have watched all the trouble shooting videos and I am stumped? Maybe I just need to add more coals?

I am using a brand new bag of Kingsford. Nothing mixed all the same bag.

With all that, the Butt turned out horrible! I managed to get a bit trimmed off to do a few sammiches, but man it was like slicing through leather. I gotta say I really liked the flavor. I am starting to dig the smokey flavor.

Anyway, just a bummer, I did allot research before I picked up this cooker, I mean I looked a 20 grills and smokers and with all the raving and simplicity with the PBC, I thought I was going to be cooking some great food, but it really is not going to well. Just sucks when the wife and family is counting on great BBQ and you bring this to the table. I mean if this keeps up, the wife is going to leave me for the guy up the street with the WSM!!!

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it