Dry aged Prime beef question

BearSmokeBBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hi all, I dry aged a 22lb prime grade bone on ribeye roast that I got from Costco in one of those umai bags. So far the only thing I have cooked from it after I butchered it down has been tomahawk steaks about 3 inches thick, which were awesome! I sou vide them at 129 degrees let them sit for about 15min then seared them over a smoking hot mesquite and oak wood fire about 1-2min a side. the flavor was out of this world, however I noticed that the steaks color seemed to be more on the medium side, than the rare to slightly medium rare results I have gotten from using the same cooking process on the non dry aged precut prime tomahawks that Costco offers. My question is does dry aged beef cook differently than non dry aged? Should I be using the same temperature and cooking guidelines as non aged beef? I have some friends and family coming over sunday night and Im cooking an 8lb standing rib roast that I cut from the 22lber that's been dry aged and I really want to nail it, so any advice, tips, or recipes to make a killer prime rib would greatly be appreciated. thanks in advance!

Dry aging removes moisture, less moisture will result in the coloration being darker but a more intense beef flavor. We dry age meat for work alot and use thermocouplers to ensure proper cooking temp since the color can be misleading.
129 on dry aged meat might be a little high even in Sous vide. I would try for 121-123 rest for 20 minutes or so. You might have to dial it in a little more but we can always cook it longer.
Biggest mistake most people is not letting food rest. On a big roast I like to let it rest 60-90 minutes wrapped in a cooler.
Rub that big steak with some good olive oil (Queen Creek perhaps?) and season the heck out of it with (Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder and Garlic SPOG) and cook away.

Dry aging removes moisture, less moisture will result in the coloration being darker but a more intense beef flavor. We dry age meat for work alot and use thermocouplers to ensure proper cooking temp since the color can be misleading.
129 on dry aged meat might be a little high even in Sous vide. I would try for 121-123 rest for 20 minutes or so. You might have to dial it in a little more but we can always cook it longer.
Biggest mistake most people is not letting food rest. On a big roast I like to let it rest 60-90 minutes wrapped in a cooler.
Rub that big steak with some good olive oil (Queen Creek perhaps?) and season the heck out of it with (Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder and Garlic SPOG) and cook away.

good to know, thanks! im thinking I might have try those temps on a couple of the standard cut ribeyes from the roast this week, make a test run of sorts before the prime rib sunday!

In my world, you cooked the steak to med-rare BEFORE you seared it.

Everyone wonders about, does dry aged meat tastes better. Yes it tastes better when it gets dry. All fresh eats are aged for few days to allow naturally present enzymes in to meat, break down the muscle tissue which results in improved taste and flavor of meat.

Click dry ager for more info.

I would also watch carry-over temp on a 3" steak depending on how you do your sear. You could be getting more radiant temp cooking than you think from the sear portion of the cook with a piece of meat 3" thick.

Back