MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
lhommedieu
On the road to being a farker

Default Rememberance of Salmon Past...

When I was growing up we used to have a friend that would bring smoked salmon back from fishing trips in New Brunswick. The salmon fillet was still on the skin and would be scored in a criss-cross fashion so that chunks could be picked up off the skin and eaten or put on crackers. Generally there'd be a bowl of sour cream and chives to accompany the salmon - and lots of beer.

The texture of the salmon was not the moist pink of deli salmon, but dark and more towards the dry, flaky side. There was still some residual moisture on the inside but the outer layer was crusty and with a strong smoky flavor. I'd like to duplicate this and am thinking of an alder or applewood smoke at @ 200 degrees - although I wonder if it should be a little hotter if necessary. My best guess is that it was brined overnight and mopped with water and maple syrup.

Any suggestions re. the IT and the length of the smoke would be appreciated.

Best,

Steve

Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
pork_butt
Knows what a fatty is.

lhommedieu, I have done a few of these. I have done with skin on and also skinless. I prefer the skinless. I brine mine over night in a salt/brown sugar brine. I try to keep my smoker around 200 degrees, but the best one I did, the smoker got to around 250. It had more of the fat ooze out, but I did not care because it was so good.

I do not mop during the smoke, and I also take the IT to 160 degrees even though USDA says it is done at 145 degrees. I think it gives it a little more "crust" or bark on the outside.

The way you describe with it being darker with the outer layer layer crusty, is how it turns out. I have not put out the sour cream and chives, but have just put a hunk on a cracker.

Good luck with this and report back.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

I did this salmon not too long ago. Not sure what the internal temp was but I cooked at 225-250 with oak and let it go a little longer so it would get that good crust on the outside. Did a dry brown sugar/kosher salt overnight brine and I think it came out pretty well. So did everyone else....

Last edited by daninnewjersey; 09-05-2017 at 08:46 AM..
daninnewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

I do mine similar to daninewjersey's as far as the smoking technique. I brine overnight with 1 cup canning salt and 1/2 cup sugar to 8-9 cups water. I rinse the salmon in the morning, pat dry, pull pin bones, and then place under a fan for one hour before smoking. I then smoke at around 250 with apple wood. I pulll the salmon after the whitish opaque liquid rises up and then receeds back into the fish a bit. I then always refridgerate the fish at least a day before consuming or packaging for friends or the freezer.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
lhommedieu

Thanks guys, for your responses. I've looked at a couple "hot smoke" salmon threads and it looks like 200 is a bit low for what I want. I'm going to set a grill temp for 225 and an IT of 160 - but look for the white liquid coming up and settling beforehand. If it looks good with an IT of 145 then I'll take it off. I figure 1-2 hours at 225 should be about right. First time for me and I'm looking forward to it.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

at 225 mine is done to an internal temp of 150 in 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. after you wash it down before smoking it I blow a fan across it at room temp for 30 minutes to 1 hour to form a stickey pellicle.It makes the good crust you are after.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

This thread is perfect! I have been asked to smoke some salmon for Christmas and I haven't tried it yet. Any tips would be much appreciated. Is apple the best wood?
oifmarine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
lhommedieu

I would think that oak and hickory would be good choices for the kind of basic warm smoke that we're talking about here; apple and alder for more delicate smokes. Lots of threads here on bqb on different ways to smoke salmon - I'm going to start with the method described above as it probably comes closest to what I remember from back when. oifmarine2003, here's a vid for us newbs re. removing pin bones:

I well remember my dad smoking shad in an old metal can in the driveway after fishing on the Delaware; someone would always call the FD and they'd come and admire his build. I think my dad always told them to drop by a few hours to pick some up when it was done.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
isolated01
Full Fledged Farker

I prefer a dry cure to a brine. Alton brown on food network shows a good method. Drying after curing is essential. Like bbq it's mostly about technique even given an exact recipe you cant beat experience.
isolated01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post

I well remember my dad smoking shad in an old metal can in the driveway after fishing on the Delaware; someone would always call the FD and they'd come and admire his build. I think my dad always told them to drop by a few hours to pick some up when it was done.
That's funny. I'm on the local FD and a few snotty people bitch when I'm smoking at my house and call the police. Well, the cops obviously get hooked up when I'm cooking (sometimes they drive by circling like vultures) so needless to say I don't get hassled....