Vacuum Sealer Woes- Advice?

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I do a lot of sealing between BBQ, sausage making, and generally buying meat when it is on sale. In the early 2000's, I burned up a Seal-a-Meal and two Foodsavers in a span of about five years.

Frustrated with crappy sealers, I dropped some cash on the Cabela's Pro-Series by Weston in 2012. It has been a fantastic sealer and I have used the heck out of it. I liked it because it was serviceable and you could buy parts through Weston. I have changed the seals several times.

Recently, my Pro-Series developed a stress crack in the corner of the lid. When I put a bag in it, it draws a seal and when the pressure countdown drops to "0" the crack in the lid becomes visible breaking the vacuum.

Cabela's no longer sells rebadged Weston's, so I contacted Weston. They do not sell a replacement lid for the Cabela's model. I haven't contacted Cabela's yet, but I plan to. It used to be that any Cabela's-branded merchandise had a lifetime warranty. However, I have read that since the BassPro merger they no longer honor that warranty.

Looking at the Weston site, they offer the Pro-Series 1100, which appears to have the same lid as the model I have. Then there are the 2300/3000 models with the acrylic lid. The 2300/3000 are fully serviceable and parts are available for future maintenance. I also looked at the Cabela's site. They offer their own house brand sealers now that are a bit cheaper.

I intend to go to Cabela's and see if they will honor the old warranty. I expect that they won't, and I won't be too upset if that is the case. I did get 7 years out of this one.

My question to the Brethren is this: Assuming I have to but a new sealer, do I:

1. Dig deep and come up with the cash for the Weston 2300/3000?
2. Go with the Weston 1100 and hope for another 6-7 years?
3. Try the Cabela's Commercial at half the price of the 2300/3000?
4. Go another way that I haven't identified here?

Thanks in advance for your input.

David

I seal a lot. I bought a Weston 2300. Still going strong after 5yrs or more.

I don't have a lot to compare to besides a Foodsaver I wore out, but I replaced it with the Weston 2300 and have zero regrets. It's built like a tank and I seriously doubt I'll need to replace it anytime soon - or later, for that matter.

I would encourage you to take a look at the LEM 1000 model, we are running three of them currently and one see's hard daily use M-F packaging fresh sausage.

Hands down the best sealer I have ever used, worth the money with an impressive 5 year warranty and USA based parts distribution.

They send out some pretty decent email discount codes from time to time, we bought them last black Friday @ 25% off.
https://www.lemproducts.com/product/maxvac-1000-vacuum-sealer/vacuum-sealers-bags

I have a Vacmaster 380 with a 16” seal bar that can do 15” bags which will hold a cooked packer brisket. Both Vacmaster and Weston are top notch. The Vacmaster will hold and cut a 50’ Roll up to 15” wide. If counterspace is tight the Weston works great, just can’t hold rolls. My sausage making buddy has a Weston and I have used both many times. I do think they are both excellent and would own either. I would let counter space make my decision.

My buddy has the Weston 2300 stainless model, that’s what I’m comparing mine to.

My input to question #4 is that a $2 tube of JB Weld or 5 minute Epoxy can be your friend.

May not be pretty but will sure solve the issue if the crack is in a repairable place.

Good Luck!

Was there any warranty paperwork (hopefully that you still have) that came with the Cabela's? Hopefully, it is pretty clear and they will honor it regardless of the merger. I imagine walking in with the warranty document (as if you hadn't even thought about the merger or spoke to anyone) might help. They are still Cabela's after all.

I was thinking the same thing, but thin CA glue, which should wick into the crack.

btw CA is cyanoacrylate, or super glue. Get the thin.
If you're thinking of glueing things you'll likely need a combination of stuff to make it work.

The CA cited is a good start in the crack without a vacuum. Make sure it's cured before going on to the next step.

Rough up the exterior surface (plastic?) and get lay down some epoxy and carbon fiber cloth or strands - strands go perpendicular to the crack. You can then lay some fiberglass over that while the epoxy is still "wet". Without seeing the crack location I'll recommend you get a 1/2" minimum overlap on either side of the crack.

It's the carbon fiber and fiberglass that makes the strength and not the epoxy so just make sure everything is wetted - no need to make the epoxy thick.

Let cure for at least 24 hours or more if you're using slow set epoxy. I'd use nothing less than 30 minute epoxy.

You should be able to find all the supplies at your local hobby/modeling shop. It's worth a shot IMHO.

I have found the customer support people at Weston to be exceptionally helpful. They may not be familiar with the Cabela's unit but if you send them a photo they might be able to match it up with one of their models. Tooling for large injection molded parts is expensive, so IMO it is highly likely that the cover you need is/was also used on a Weston-branded model at one point. Maybe the 1100 as you suspect.

Re Q #2 I have an 1100 and am quite happy with it. I am not a heavy user, though.

Re Q #3 you have already re-learned one of life's important lessons: Do not buy cheap tools. (Incidentally, I re-learned that one too, having bought a FoodSaver prior to the Weston.)

Life is like school except first you get the test and then you get the lesson.

Maybe some glue or epoxy?? Depending on the size of the crack you may need to get a small syringe type needle for application (my dad used to use actual drugstore syringes to glue very small spaces when he was in the model airplane hobby).

Thanks all for the replies and input. I contacted Weston - they said that the lid is not replaceable. I thought about gluing, but the crack is only visible at full vacuum.

I may spring for the 2300 and be done with it.

David
I have found the customer support people at Weston to be exceptionally helpful. They may not be familiar with the Cabela's unit but if you send them a photo they might be able to match it up with one of their models. Tooling for large injection molded parts is expensive, so IMO it is highly likely that the cover you need is/was also used on a Weston-branded model at one point. Maybe the 1100 as you suspect.

Re Q #2 I have an 1100 and am quite happy with it. I am not a heavy user, though.

Re Q #3 you have already re-learned one of life's important lessons: Do not buy cheap tools. (Incidentally, I re-learned that one too, having bought a FoodSaver prior to the Weston.)

Life is like school except first you get the test and then you get the lesson.

Thanks all for the replies and input. I contacted Weston - they said that the lid is not replaceable. I thought about gluing, but the crack is only visible at full vacuum.

I may spring for the 2300 and be done with it.

David

An option is to use your favorite glue/adhesive/sealer and make sure it's quick set. Turn on the vac and let it seal the crack for you. I used to do this with suction side HVAC silver solder and pool pumps with silicone caulk. Was not clear on my first post.

But hey, sometimes you just want a new one. :becky:

An option is to use your favorite glue/adhesive/sealer and make sure it's quick set. Turn on the vac and let it seal the crack for you. I used to do this with suction side HVAC silver solder and pool pumps with silicone caulk. Was not clear on my first post.

But hey, sometimes you just want a new one. :becky:

^ +1 - I agree...

I would suggest an appropriately sized chamber vac. More expensive, yes...but likely the last one you'll ever buy...and higher performance.

Update: I looked at the LEM's, Vac Master's, and Cabela's new "Comercial" series. Then Weston had a sale and I found a coupon for free shipping. I went all-in and ordered the Pro-series 3000.

It arrived yesterday. Damn this thing is heavy. I made 20lbs of sausage today and used the new sealer to make ~ dozen packs.

Wow. I used to think that the Cabelas-branded Weston was a tank. Not so. It pales in comparison. The Pro-series 3000 is much heavier and much quieter. The acrylic lid is super heavy duty and helps in aligning the bags. It cycles smoothly and quietly.

I believe that the Weston will be my "forever sealer".

It is the Cadillac of sealers.

David

Update: The day I received my Weston, I received an e-mail stating that all sealers were on Sale 20% off for Earth Day. I emailed customer service to see if they would consider applying the discount to my order and they did! I got a $100 credit.

The sale is on through April 27th. If you are considering a Weston, I highly recommend you pull the trigger now:

Earth Day Savings

"In honor of Earth Day, we’re offering 20% off all food dehydrators and vacuum sealers now through April 27th with the code EARTH19 **"

Back