Popdaddy experiments with Pellets and needs input and advice

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Okay brothers, I need some well-placed, focused advice on pellet smoking. For two years I really have not had the desire or time to get excited about bbq. Harvey took everything, including my mojo and growing taco biz. But I feel a heart of recovery these days and I bought a LG 77700 (which is like the Pit Boss Copper 77700). Last weekend I threw in a pork belly, sausages and chix to get an idea of the smoke but this weekend its Brisket time. Prob do three packers.

I am not concerned about size of pits as I have the Meat Mama 3000, and the the Brazos (Vintage 1987 Klose), the Screwdriver and a PBC.

Brisket Prep Plan

Brisket prep, particularly my Tri-Level rub technique, will be a bit different from the 2000 era videos I put out.

1. Instead of the dust of Season salt I use a light rub of Knorr Tomate Soup base
2. Grace Jones Rubber Grabber seen here
3. Butt Glitter sprinkle (low Salt) - shown here
4. Post Dirty Dalmatian Flea Powder shown here.

Smoke Plan

My smoking plan is not exactly what I wanted. I like the burn but I want more smoke profile than the Completion Blend pellets I was using. (no info on what actually is in it) and my local distributor – Academy, has lost 20 bags of Red Oak pellets. So… maybe Cherry or even Mesquite - we will see. I have a large Mexican clientele so I will probably seek Mesquite. I will be using the smoke stick with Mesquite pellets in it.

A bit about Smoke Ring. I hate when someone mentions smoke ring and we go on some diatribe of how no one is supposed to judge that. I know it has nothing arguably to do with smoke flavor, although seeking one does in its best natural practices, but, well, this is about what I and my customers want and I want one.

I will be doing one packer with my quick TQ bath and the other two without.

Cook Plan

I will smoke at 200 - 220 for 2 to 3 hours with a spritz of Grace Jones Rubber Grabber thinned with ACV and Coffee - seen here, every 20 to 30 for the first three hours.

Then I will pop it up to 275 – with a wrap in paper as needed when I get my color.

So my concerns are getting the ring without the TQ on the other 2. I have listed the smoke stick, low and slow initial smoke and spritz to cool the exterior down ever 30 minutes as way to get that ring. Yes I know about the thread on smoke rings. I want Pellet user advice.

For those of you shuttering I used TQ; I used to smoke my taco meats in my UDS and for some reason hardly ever formed a ring so I used it. I am basically trying to compare whether I need it at all in this equipment.

Also any other general advice I would be more than happy to hear. Look forward to hearing from you guys and I love you all.

Last edited:
smoke ninja can say anything, even bitch about smoke rings cuz his avatar is as fine as mine

I think you will get the smoke ring on your food, cooking how you are planning. If you rub the briskets the day before, I think (not with 100% confidence) that you will help the smoke ring develop better? That is my experience anyway. I have not used mesquite, before, so I cant testify to that.

Last edited:
Some people on a few brands are adding small wood chunks on the plate over the Burn Pot........

I never got into a pellet Grill but last summer every other thread was on pellet cooker’s and pellets and it seemed a couple brands of pellets were perferred

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262099

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262419

Did any of your previous smokers survive. ?

Only the PBC got carried away. I found the lid and kept it forever... then threw it away... then found the damn full pit in a ditch.... or rather someone in the town did and brought it to me.... 3 days after i threw away the lid...........................................

YOU HEAR THAT NOAH?????

Some people on a few brands are adding small wood chunks on the plate over the Burn Pot........
THAT WAS what I did last weekend but it never caught so i moved it and propped it up to the side where the diffuser would ignite it.

Donnie,
Glad you are recovering from the hurricane.
I am 5 months into the post-Michael repairs and having some of the same challenges.

As to smoke and smoke ring.
For beef, my go to pellet is Mesquite.
If I am using "blended", I use it for the entire cook.
If I am using 100%, I start the cook with a gallon or more of the pure Mesquite in the hopper and then finish with blended Mesquite, Hickory, or whatever I have handy.

For a guaranteed smoke ring, I used to mix some TQ into the rub. By mixing it, there is no need to rinse it off and you avoid that sharp change in color that totally gives away the use of TQ. Mixed into the rub, it produces a ring that fades from the red to the meat color.

Your heat and time profile should work just fine on most pellet machines.

Good Luck

TIM

Donnie,
Glad you are recovering from the hurricane.
I am 5 months into the post-Michael repairs and having some of the same challenges.

As to smoke and smoke ring.
For beef, my go to pellet is Mesquite.
If I am using "blended", I use it for the entire cook.
If I am using 100%, I start the cook with a gallon or more of the pure Mesquite in the hopper and then finish with blended Mesquite, Hickory, or whatever I have handy.

For a guaranteed smoke ring, I used to mix some TQ into the rub. By mixing it, there is no need to rinse it off and you avoid that sharp change in color that totally gives away the use of TQ. Mixed into the rub, it produces a ring that fades from the red to the meat color.

Your heat and time profile should work just fine on most pellet machines.

Good Luck

TIM

Wow this is valuable. For one, my smoker has a dump where I can dump the hpper and change to something else. So excited u mention this.

I like your method above "If I am using 100%, I start the cook with a gallon or more of the pure Mesquite in the hopper and then finish with blended Mesquite, Hickory, or whatever I have handy"

Q 1: I want to start with 100 percent for about how long before you switch?

Q 2: I have used this tq in the rub but Harvey took my damn notes. I assume not in my first layer of rub but my second? Right. I typically let my first rub sit for a nite is why.

Q3: whats the ratio of rub to TQ?

Wow this is valuable. For one, my smoker has a dump where I can dump the hpper and change to something else. So excited u mention this.

I like your method above "If I am using 100%, I start the cook with a gallon or more of the pure Mesquite in the hopper and then finish with blended Mesquite, Hickory, or whatever I have handy"

Q 1: I want to start with 100 percent for about how long before you switch?
Don't know. Probably an hour or two. Nothing scientific.

Q 2: I have used this tq in the rub but Harvey took my damn notes. I assume not in my first layer of rub but my second? Right. I typically let my first rub sit for a nite is why.
I would not let it set overnight. I rub just prior to smoking.

Q3: whats the ratio of rub to TQ?
Nothing scientific again. Probably 2-3 heaping tablespoons in 20-32 oz of rub.
Just have to experiment to find the mix that works with your rub.

No need to dump and change. Just pour a gallon or bit more in the hopper and finish topping it off with other type of pellets. Good ole' KISS principle.

Hope this helps.

Donnie,

First of all, good to see ya back. The Brethren miss yer missin' mojo!

I would change your cook plan a bit. I would smoke first for two hours at 170* or the smoke setting...whatever you've got. You're not going to get as much out of it if you run 200 or higher. I don't use a smoke stick, but I understand the reasons you've stated. I think you could get away without using it, but I'll leave it to you to experiment.

So anyway, run the thing at 170* for 2 hrs, then kick it up to 275* and finish out your cook. Even if it doesn't look like anything happened from the 2 hrs at low temp, you just wait until the temp starts coming up. The transformation is almost like magic.

This is how I've been doing my cooks with great success...and it's from adapting your house temp to how a pellet cooker runs, so thank you for that! My GMGs responded really well to starting low and then going up to cook temp after a few hours.

Looking forward to the results!

I would agree with Sleebus on his method on your smoker since it holds pretty tight tolerances with its temps. Also if you have an Atwood’s around consider switching to Lumber Jack pellets. They are $8.99for a 20 lb bag and having given me the best smoke rings and flavor over any other grounds I have used.

I have the Pit Boss Copperhead and the one brisket I cooked on it has a very pronounced smoke ring. I just used a normal rub and the first hour and a half it was set to 175. I was actually surprised by how defined the ring was.

I don’t think I’ve ever NOT had a smoke ring with my yoder or Memphis never used tq in a rub

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with some of the other comments, getting a smoke ring on my Rectec has never been a problem. The actual smoke flavor can be mild but the visual evidence of the smoke is always there

My Copperhead always puts out a smoke ring. I like lumberjack pellets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Update pics

Attachments

• 20190324_083046(0).jpg
    20190324_083046(0).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 20190324_083303.jpg
    20190324_083303.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20190324_085304.jpg
    20190324_085304.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 98