Is Costco worth it for a two person family?

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, Brethren!
We have a Sam's, but it is a pretty good drive to the opposite side of Peoria. No Restaurant Depot or BJ's here. The closest Wal-Mart is overrun with Wal-Martians, so I avoid it like the plague and the second closest is a mini Super, very limited on BBQ related stuff and they made me angry once, enough so to leave 2 carts full of vacation supplies in the check out lanes, so I don't shop there anymore.
The closest Kroger isn't bad for the basics and the quality has been above average lately, but the price is a bit high for consumable supplies. Not much selection beyond the run of the mill items and the meat when not on sale is $$$!
Looks like you've convinced me! Costco, here I come!
Thanks All!
Terry

Before you pay for the membership, walk around the store, check the meat department. Verify that it is worth it to you. While I think that Costco is better than Sam's for meats, in my area, that may not be the case for you. There is a lot of variation from one location to the next.

I am also lucky that the Costco I use is a "Costco Business Center", which caters a bit more to the restaurant pro's (It is closed on Sunday though, the non-business centers are open 7 days). On another note, Sam's has recently upgraded their meat departments, the one near me is a lot better now.

Anyway, go in and walk around, they let you in without the card, you just can't purchase anything without it.

ive been a member since i was a kid but yes it is worth it.

Actually i have both Sams and Costco, believe it or not there are enough subtle differences to justify both to me.

And you have to love Costco's return policy...

If you have the balls to bring it back and ask they always say yes.

The wife and I have had the top tier membership to Costco since we were married. I spreadsheeted the price out and it pays for itself every year just on Gasoline. When you factor in the dividend at the end of each year its effectively free. You start adding big items in like new tires for the car, shop benches for my garage etc and i'm MAKING money.

I can't recommend Costco enough.

You come out a bit ahead. Meats are good quality. Electronics are not a great deal. Bottom line - membership is fully refundable, so try it

Depends on what you buy.

When our son was at home, we went for the next level (2% back). He ate enough to make it profitable.

With him gone, our savings now equals the cost of the membership, so we essentially get a free membership.

I'd go for it, especially when you're looking for prime cuts to smoke/grill.

We are smack dab in the middle of a bathroom renovation. We planned to replace the countertop on the vanity but found out it was glued to the wall. Looked all over for a replacement (big box stores, etc.) and couldn't find anything we liked. Checked Costco online and found one. It shipped from CA and arrived in 5 days (I live in MD). Super pleased with quality and price. It's just two of us in our family, we love the Rib Eyes, thick cut bone in pork chops, etc. not to mention everything else. I'm a sucker for Costco but I love it (and it's 45min from my house)!

Agree with everyone else. I also agree with being a Buffett fan. I’m going to see him in Nashville this April. My 11th time seeing him perform. Fins up!

So, we did it. Jumped in with both feet, Executive Membership and their credit card.
$120 membership fee. We got a $20 gift card on the spot and have a $60 gift card coming in the mail. We also got coupons for free paper towels and AA batteries worth $36.48, bringing the cost of membership to $3.52.
The credit card gives cash back and doubles the reward on Costco purchases. Some friends of ours use their Costco card for all of their everyday purchases and then pay the bill off every month, resulting in a nice reward check. I very seldom have a balance on my credit card, so I should be able to do this as well.
I was impressed by the selection and quality of the meat department. I can foresee spending some quality there!
Prices for their prime grade beef were roughly the same, and maybe a bit less, than Kroger’s prices for choice and select grades. Quite a few briskets to choose from, both whole and the flats. I didn’t see and loose points, but by then, Mrs. Fan was getting restless. She doesn’t get as excited about raw meat as I do.
We had a few things on our list, and managed to fill 2 carts with non-meat items mostly. A cryo-6-pack of chicken thighs was the only fresh meat we bought. 18 thighs, 3 to a package, for less than $10. ($.99/#)
They had whole lambs but Mrs. said no. Killjoy.
Picked up some Kingsford Professional charcoal and a quart jar (or maybe bigger, 40 oz?) of minced Hatch green chiles and 2 cases of some of my favorite craft beers. The rest was boring stuff and stuff that Mrs. Fan snuck into her cart. Got out the door for under $150 and we won’t be buying any toilet paper, paper towels, napkins or paper plates any time soon!
Ran into 2 former coworkers, one old hunting buddy and 3 different families from our old home town while we were there. Not a bad way to kill a couple of hours on a cold, rainy Sunday afternoon.
Almost forgot, one of the former coworkers is opening a BBQ restaurant 2 blocks from where I work. He was in a neighboring town for a while, was doing great, and his landlord pulled some bonehead moves, lost the building and has filed for bankruptcy.
I’ve eaten quite a bit of his stuff over the years, the kid’s got talent!

Thanks to all for the good advice, I’m pretty sure we’ll be happy with the decision.

EDIT: As an added bonus, As SonVolt said, there is no PeopleofCostco.com website!

Last edited:
Congrats on the decision. At my Costco, they occasionally do brisket points, just on meat where the cryovac was damaged while opening. They just chop the packer in half. I buy every good looking point they have out on those days.

Just remember those stores make their money on you impulse buying. Everything on an endcap is designed for it. If you can control the impulses you will save money.

I don't see a downside to a Costco membership other then
crazy impulse buying. I have both Costco and RD, depending on what we
are doing determines where we go.

I have kids and they like to stop by Costo just for a hot dog and soda.
At a $1.50 each you can't beat it. The whole thing works for us.

Good Luck with your decision.

as soon as my Sam's expires I'll join Costco, and I'm single. Their meat selection is way better. Foil pans and catering stuff seems to have a good selection too.

I don't see a downside to a Costco membership other then
crazy impulse buying. I have both Costco and RD, depending on what we
are doing determines where we go.

I have kids and they like to stop by Costo just for a hot dog and soda.
At a $1.50 each you can't beat it. The whole thing works for us.

Good Luck with your decision.

Hi Costco Business Center in Hackensack, has better bbq meat selections.
Prime Brisket & Beef ribs.
DanB

We come out ahead at Costco on the gas, wine, seafood, and meat. Really good prices on wine, mussels and clams, mahi, and nice meat (prime beef). I just hate going because it’s like trying to shop in a bumper cars ring most of the time here. I go when it first opens or at night before they close.

We are executive members and always come out ahead (assuming we would buy the same amounts elsewhere). The wine prices are very, very good and of course the meat prices are tough to beat. Plus it’s always good to get 500 vitamins at a time!

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm a Costco member and I absolutely love it. That being said, Costco membership is absolutely not worth it for a family 2. We are a family of 5.

The problem is not the $50 you will spend on membership. If you fully use everything you buy at Costco you will absolutely come out ahead, the issue is whether you really want to do that. You will end up buying things in such huge quantity, you will have to eat the same food for weeks or using the same hand soap for years. That gets old real fast. I'm not going to put myself thru that torture just to save a few dollars, plus if food spoils before you can eat it, any potential savings go out the door with it. Now with 5 people in my household, I find I go thru things so fast there is really very little waste. Actually now I go to Costco because I can buy things in big packs.

The meat selection is ok and decently priced. Price will be lower at a regular supermarket when things are on sale and quality is much better at a real butcher shop. Your perspective may differ depends on what other options you have. I live in a nice area with at least 10 other very nice supermarkets within 5 miles, not to mention various specialty shops. I get much better fruits and veg at the Korean supermarket, seafood is much better at the specialty seafood shop, etc. I don't find Costco quality all that amazing.

Costco shopping experience is subpar as well. The ambiance kind of sucks and the check out line is almost always super busy.

In reply to Yiplong:

My nearby choices are limited to Kroger, Aldi and Wal-Mart.
If I'm willing to drive a little bit, fight the traffic and the crowd, I can go to Schnucks or Hy Vee. I'm usually not willing to do either.
I avoid Walmart like the plague. when I go to Aldi, I still have to go to Kroger because Aldi doesn't carry everything I usually buy.
I do have a great seafood shop and 3 great butcher shops in the general area, but none as close as Costco and from what I've seen, Costco's prices are much better than the "boutique" shops. I can't comment on how the quality compares yet, time will tell.
It is on my way home from work, so it is very handy and will most likely become my go-to for gas as well. I need to fill up tonight, so I'll see what I think of their gas station.
As for the large quantities, I typically buy in bulk when items are on sale now and vacuum pack for the freezer. as for soap and such, I'm pretty well set in my ways anyway and usually buy the same thing every time, unless something else is on sale for less. I'm not overly picky or brand loyal on most incidentals.
We've only been to Costco once, but I think we're going to be happy we joined. If not, I've blown a lot more money on dumber things!

Thank for sharing your input, I always like to hear both sides of a story!

Back