MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Default Need a quail marinade recipe

Does anyone have a quail marinade recipe? Planning to grill some on the weekend but i dont know whether to treat is as chicken or if a particular marinade is needed.
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quail is so lean, I would be really tempted to do a brine on it. Have any brethren done that?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
AZCyclone
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Yummy little birds...

I brine my birds after cleaning in salt water for an hour or so prior to putting them in the freezer. ( Sometimes it takes multiple hunts to make enough for a meal) I have grilled and smoked quite a bit of quail over the years, and I always brine them. One thing I usually do is smoke it for maybe a half hour, then wrap it inside foil with a little butter, salt and pepper, and sliced onion to finish it, if I have bacon grease, I'll use that instead of butter and cut back on the salt. I clean my birds without the skin, so I have to be really careful about them drying out. They are little so they are really easy to overcook. I have made my share of quail jerky! Pretty bad if the dog won't touch it... Good Luck!
AZCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would definitely give that a 3 hour or so brine being careful not to get it too salty. Little birds will suck up that salt quickly.

My 91 year old mother used to make an awesome dove (not too far off from quail) braised dish. Brown and cook in a Dutch Oven until the meat fell off the bones. Little white wine, etc. I have asked her for the recipe..... but she doesn't ever remember cooking doves.... Oh, the joy of growing older!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Brining in a salt only solution? Or salt and sugar brine?

Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

salt and sugar. I have done about equal parts diluted in a big pot of water. Like 1/8 cup of each in 2 quarts of water along with any seasoning you may like. The brining process not only keeps your birds/meat more moist but it causes the cells to suck in the flavors of the brine. Weird as it may seem, but the meat cells kinda puff up with moisture from the brine.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
salt and sugar. I have done about equal parts diluted in a big pot of water. Like 1/8 cup of each in 2 quarts of water along with any seasoning you may like. The brining process not only keeps your birds/meat more moist but it causes the cells to suck in the flavors of the brine. Weird as it may seem, but the meat cells kinda puff up with moisture from the brine.
After the brine, are the birds rinsed, dried, then rubbed with something?

Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyo626 View Post
After the brine, are the birds rinsed, dried, then rubbed with something?
Brining does not overload the birds with salt, even though it seems like it would. Brining mainly transfers moisture into the meat.

You can rinse the birds, to get the excess salt off of the outside. But, a really quick rinse is enough.

Instead of a rub, I like to gently separate my bird and skin with my fingers, and put some butter and fresh herbs under the skin. Be gentle, and try not to tear the skin. The butter adds fat, which quail lacks, big time.

Stuff some fresh herbs in the cavity, as well.

Rosemary is awesome with lean poultry. I also use fresh oregano, and often stuff the cavity with sliced fresh lemons along with the herbs.

Quail is a small bird, so use moderation with spices and herbs. But, it is a very lean bird, so add moisture where you can, and do not overcook it. Overcooked quail is like shoe leather.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

ill give it a shot.