Does bandera firebox have adjustable grill rack?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello all!!

I'm about to take the plunge into indirect smoking...I've been using a Weber barrel water smoker for years.

I've been looking and reading online about the bandera smoker, and it looks just like what I want to get into. I can't seem to find out, though, if the firebox has the ability to adjust the fire or cooking grill on it, for when I just want to grill some burgers/steaks.

If it does...I can get this model, and clear room on my deck for just this unit, and get rid of the old barrel smoker and my charcoal grill.

I've seem models similar to the bandera that did and some that did not give you the ability to change the height of the firepan closer to the grill in the firebox.

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Yes, the Bandera does have shelf tabs in the fire box, but they are not easy to height adjust when hot, you have to move the cooking racks vs the fire rack. My old grill has a fire shelf with handles that allowed the fire to be right under the steaks, then lowered to finish 'em off. I just finished rebuilding it for that reason.

Now if I just had a job, I might be able to buy some steak :oops: :!:

Liek Alk says,l the adjustments are done by moving the racks to differnt levels over the coals, and thats done from the side door. a bit of a hassle when its hot.. ya need some good mitts. Grill area is also kinda small, 16x20 i think. If its only for a few burgers or steaks occasionall its ok, but not as a standard grill for all the time use. If i only had the bandera and still did grilling, I'd grab up a Hibachi or even a kettle to use for serious grilling.

Or a Hasty Bake.

Welcome to our world Cayenne. Look in the pictures at Bill's family. You'll see that you don't need to get rid of any of them.

cayenne, in your search make sure you find a Char-broil or New Braunfels Bandera. I have a Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe. Just as good a unit, in a few cases a bit better, but the cooking grate adjustment your looking for is not on the Brinkmann Model. Best of luck on your search, and welcome.

Thanx!!

kcquer said:
cayenne, in your search make sure you find a Char-broil or New Braunfels Bandera. I have a Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe. Just as good a unit, in a few cases a bit better, but the cooking grate adjustment your looking for is not on the Brinkmann Model. Best of luck on your search, and welcome.

Thanks for all the greetings and advice. I think I've found one for $199...which seems to be the best price I could find. Is there any difference between the Charbroil and the New Braunfels models? Are they made by the same company and rebranded? I saw one that was a Brinkman on display, and it didn't seem to have the adjustable firebox 'tabs' for moving the heat to different levels like the charbroil model I had.

Also, because I had originally had been considering the side by side double barrel type indirect smokers. Can anyone give the the plus/minus of them versus the Bandera model? Is it hard to cram a whole brisket in the vertical model without cutting it up?

Thanks for the welcome...I'm about 99% there on getting this..and just would like a little more input from those of ya'll that are in the know on this smoker.

I'm quite impressed with this forum...and the mods section is great...I'd have never thought of this stuff...

I am looking to conserve room on my patio with just using this unit to replace my other bullet smoker, charcoal grill, etc. I'm currenly single..so, the smaller grill is ok, and my old charcoal grill is portable...guess I could just store it away and bring it out as needed. Of course I'm buying this unit predominately for smoking...but, I do like a quick grilled steak during the week...

cayenne

Cayenne,
I have the CharBroil version of the Bandera. I understand the best quality is the NB if you can find any still in the system. Academy in the central TX area has an excellent buy on the real NB thing till they run out.
I know very little about the Brinkman, but some of the guys have one and it has its "pluses", so I hear.
I saw one that was a Brinkman on display, and it didn't seem to have the adjustable firebox 'tabs' for moving the heat to different levels like the charbroil model I had.
This can be fixed by buying the shelf mounts from CharBroil and bolting them into the Brinkman. Part #25601012. Mis-labled in the CharBroil literature as "adjustable shelf", but it is really the 4 mounts with a hardware bag. Costs about 10 bucks or so. You would also need to be sure that your smoker shelves will fit the firebox as they do on the Bandera. I bought an extra couple of shelves for mine.
Good luck in your pursuit!
Welcome to the forum.
Lots of knowledge and, sometimes, a bit of humor here.
:D
TIM

Brisket does not have to be cut to fit in the Bandera, just slide it in at a angle if it is a packer (full) cut, 12-15lbs.

CharBroil bought out NB and the newer Bandera units with CharBroil name plate are made in China. There has been a lot of discussion about the China units having 'thinner' metal, but I don't remember anyone comparing the units side by side.

The Brinkman cooking grate fits into the top lip of the fire box, is one position only and the width of the opening is smaller that the Bandera.

Re: Thanx!!

Thanks for all the greetings and advice. I think I've found one for $199...which seems to be the best price I could find.

Now find a place that has it for more, that will beat the price, and give you another 10% off!

Back