Consistent Taste

Thanks BBQr's Delight. I will be in Wynne for sure, and more than likely Fort Smith. I will take you up on the offer to taste! There is going to be a contest in Russellville in August, it was added later than most of the others, but I am hoping for good turn out in my hometown!

PHarp,

Quick tip for injection testing on a brisket. If you don't want to cook two briskets to do a side by side, then try injecting just one half of the brisket. That way you can taste the injected versus the non injected and make your determination.

Good luck,

Robert

Thanks Robert, I will try that this weekend. I just bought a cheap packer from Wal-Mart to practice on. The package says 3/4 a cup of injection and 2 cups of water fro two briskets. I am wondering if a lot of people use that amount for just one brisket.

I just finished a brisket using SGH and Butcher injection. Do you guys typically follow the recipe for butcher's injections? I didn't notice much difference but I know it must be me since it is such an widely respected product.

I thought maybe, some of David's sponsored teams would step up and help you, oh well.

While I'm not a sponsored team, I do use his prime brisket injection in comps. I mix it at the rate of 1/3 cup to 12oz of bottled water for one brisket, hope this helps a little.

I thought maybe, some of David's sponsored teams would step up and help you, oh well.

While I'm not a sponsored team, I do use his prime brisket injection in comps. I mix it at the rate of 1/3 cup to 12oz of bottled water for one brisket, hope this helps a little.

That's a little more diluted than the 3/4c to 2 cups of water on the package.

Seems like that could be a bit underwhelming in flavor for injection. Interested in your thoughts on that.

I don't do well in brisket so I'm soaking up all knowledge about it!:icon_blush:

Thanks BBQr's Delight. I will be in Wynne for sure, and more than likely Fort Smith. I will take you up on the offer to taste! There is going to be a contest in Russellville in August, it was added later than most of the others, but I am hoping for good turn out in my hometown!

I'll be repping with Ralph at that one. Going to be tough being a stand-in for Karen though! See you in Wynne!

That's a little more diluted than the 3/4c to 2 cups of water on the package.

Seems like that could be a bit underwhelming in flavor for injection. Interested in your thoughts on that.

I don't do well in brisket so I'm soaking up all knowledge about it!:icon_blush:

Fair enough, basically I'm putting in 2 2/3 ozs in the brisket instead of 3 ozs. I'd say that's not a big difference. By using more liquid, I'm able to penetrate/soak more area, it's all being used into the brisket in either case.

As far as flavor, I'm using it more for the phosphates, I get my flavor from the wrapping/juices.

I think the biggest thing you should take away from this lesson, is the sooner you wrap the more of the flavor you'll get from the injection as opposed to wrapping later...this is something you'll have to decide on what you want in your brisket.

Remember I'm not a brisket expert, I just ocasionally get a call.:thumb:

I've used just about all the injections on the market over time (though I'd pay close attention to what Robert said above, that's the way to test one). I love Butcher's stuff and that's my go-to pork injection, but I use 2 tablespoons for 16 oz water or juice. Had an unfortunate experience where full-strength pork injection made like mucus pockets in the meat. It was at the Butt-to-Butt in 2007 and one of the judges told me about it. Checked my meat, yep, it was mine. To this day I check pork for suspicious emissions before it goes in the box.

I'll be repping with Ralph at that one. Going to be tough being a stand-in for Karen though! See you in Wynne!

I don't think I knew you were a rep now. Do you like to travel to upper midwest? We could use some good reps up in these parts.

Russellville will be my 3rd rep job -- I'm still in probation! And I still like to cook. Problem is I'm a solo rep and you got to have a pair unless there's more than 50 teams entered at a contest. Married couples (or pairs who can travel together) will always get first pick of assignments. It's cheaper for the organizers. Let's face it, rep expense is just that an expense. Necessary to run an event, but it needs to be done as cheaply as possible.

I just picked up a sponsor for the Fort Smith Contest, so I will be at that one as well!

Back