MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
Smoked six Foster Farms whole chickens on Saturday. Charcoal and apple wood. Handled them properly, pulled from smoker at 165. Not afraid of salmonella. We're eating 'em.
AK, FYI, my chickens were actually cooked into dry oblivion. I got it from the raw chicken handling it. I dont know, I'm pretty good at washing my hands, etc. I didnt use gloves though....
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
Smoked six Foster Farms whole chickens on Saturday. Charcoal and apple wood. Handled them properly, pulled from smoker at 165. Not afraid of salmonella. We're eating 'em.

Very Cavalier...I don't' think the Salmonella are afraid either...Don't' miss a step in your processes...They won't...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you cook to the old standard of 165F for at least 5 minutes, there will be no risk of salmonella from the food. However, there should be no salmonella on chickemn it comes from poor processing. Once you get it home, you can get cross-contamination from a lot of sources, spray, tools, not washing hands, board or counters, all manner of ways.

The Humane Society stickedr is just ridiculous

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
ak56
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCandy View Post
Very Cavalier...I don't' think the Salmonella are afraid either...Don't' miss a step in your processes...They won't...
Didn't mean to come across as cavalier. I agree, the Salmonella aren't afraid either. Since any poultry, Foster Farms or not, has a risk of salmonella, you can't ever miss a step in the process. Don't seem to have missed a step yet, but won't say it can't happen to me in the future.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
deguerre

HUMANELY mechanically separated.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #21
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
HUMANELY mechanically separated.
So, Ned Stark as opposed to William Wallace?
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #22
sslak
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instagator View Post
Never really understood the real threat of Salmonella. I understand that for older people and immunine compromised individuals its potentionaly deadly but if you cook it right, it won't harm you. Am I missing something?
The biggest problem is when it gets into things that are NOT designed to be cooked, usually via cross contamination.

My brother almost died when he was little from salmonella. He got it from ice cream. A truck used to haul Schwans milk had been used for raw eggs and not cleaned properly in between loads. There was a big class action law suit etc.

The most difficult thing was, we couldn't figure out what he was sick with. He had not eaten anything typically associated with salmonella, no eggs, no chicken, etc. We had all eaten the ice cream, but only once...he had it every night before bed for a couple weeks.

Most people don't cook ice cream to 165, salmonella can be very dangerous if it gets into the wrong product.
sslak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #23
martyleach

Those 250 or so cases of salmonella have occurred over the last almost 12 months, across the nation. Doesn't strike me as a big number at all. I always treat chicken like it is tainted and I always wear gloves. Don't want that sickness...

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
deepsouth

this meat won't be recalled due to a 2001 court case apparently....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...premebeef.html

http://www.meatingplace.com/Industry...llowguest=true

Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
letdasmokeroll
Full Fledged Farker

This right here is why I eat pork and beef
letdasmokeroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #26
Tom Sr
Got Wood.

Last week I bought a multi pack of thighs from the San Ramon Costco. When I heard
about the outbreak I checked the numbers on my package. Sure enough I got a number match, P7632. Took them back this morning and got a full refund. I just don't
want to take a chance. It's just not worth it.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
Bob O Q Shawtee

Default Samonella outbreak

There are some intresting short films of food prep exersises where the food is sprayed with flouresent marker that is visiable under special light. It is enlightening to watch while the food is being handeled and preped because the film editor has made it so the marker glows and you witness the moment cross contamination happens.
Bob O Q Shawtee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #28
martyleach

Those 3 numbers, 7632, 6137 and 6137A are the only ones I see or have seen for a long time here in Northern California. I was at Costco today.... 7632. Went to the grocery store....6137. I cook that stuff all the time without problems. Bogus scare!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #29
BecknCO

So my girl has been freaking out about this since chicken is about the only thing she eats, and I just noticed that we have 1 single breast in the freezer with one of the dreaded numbers on it

We bought it in one of those individually wrapped bonus packs at the local king soopers about a week ago (before the scare), marinated it in some delicious scotts Mediterranean marinade, and they came out great - possible salmonella and all. Mmmmm salmolicious!

Nobody got sick - so I guess the last one is safe to eat . King Soopers (kroger) has been freaking out and has pulled all the simple truth organic, and foster farms chickens off the shelf, put up signs all over the store, AND left us both pre-recorded voicemails 3 TIMES

Old 10-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #30
dirtydingus

Sam & Ella???? Who are they???

Tags
cdc, chicken, salmonella