Looking for some ideas of what to have for a huge 50th Bday (mine) cook

Demosthenes9

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So, I turned 49 this past September and invited folks over for a "September cookout" as opposed to an official Bday party. Didn't want any gifts or anything, I just wanted to have a good time with all my friends. Being one that likes options, I ended up with 12 or so different protein offerings.

1. Scarbelly wings
2. BB ribs
3. Brisket
4. Ribeyes
5. burgers
6. Hebrew National dogs
7. Johnsonville Brats
8. Marinated chicken breasts
9. 2in thick pork chops
10. Stuffed pork loin florentine
11. Stuffed pork loin parmigiana
12. Stuffed pork loin with apple filling

Anyways, I'm planning my 50th and want to do even more. With the number of dishes I'm envisioning, I think it will be too difficult logistically to bring most of them up to be served at one time, so I'm thinking of doing more of a "tasting" type thing from 2pm til about 6, which is when "dinner entrees" will then be served. I'm looking for ideas both to up my game so to speak on my traditional offerings, i.e. different rubs/seasonings to try. I'm also looking for recommendations for apps/hors douerves / small tasting type dishes.

I'll definitely still be doing brisket, BB ribs, Spare Ribs, Ribeyes and Scarbelly wings. Recommendations for rubs/spices on each of the above would be greatly appreciated. I also plan to do some Tri Tip, London Broil, Bul Go Gi, Kalbi, and Picanha.

Equipment available.

2x 44 Smoke Hollow smokers
2.5x Weber Ranch Kettles
5 22in Webers
3 Weber Rotisseries
1 Argentinian / Tuscan (kind of a reverse Santa Maria) accessory
1 Bayou Classic 4ga deep fryer
1 BS 36"
1 BS 17"
1 Camp chef 3 burner with 36" griddle
1 BS Patio/Pizza oven
3 Kettle Pizzas
3 Sous Vide immersion circulators

My apologies for the rambling and incoherence of some of this. I've been batting this idea around in my head and this is the first time I've put it down "on paper" so to speak. I've cleared my schedule for the week of the party to do prep and cook. I'll have some limited assistance the day of, folks who can cut/slice, take food to the table, that kind of thing.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any and all recommendations on the food selection along with "go to/gamechanger" rubs/spices etc that will elevate what I've done in the past.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of photos from my last one.

I didn't get any shots of the plated meats as I was just a bit busy, and most were too busy diving in to take any shots of the serving line

adedc4c3baa309acb34dcf086b39c429.jpg
66b8572a8bf5c8ac7ed83d7da87fe20f.jpg
f33ecfc8c30c5e3723e8f336e10075f0.jpg
1bf05d2f4d5374d0fa2fd9143a36b37e.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I'd do some onion rings in the deep fryer. Slice and separate the rings. Marinate in buttermilk for a few hours. Coat in flour. Another quick dip in the buttermilk and then coat in cracker meal. These are crazy good.

A few things:

1. you're not supposed to be cooking on your birthday, let alone your 50th.
2. Welcome to the 50 club. I will be departing next year. 50 is the new 30 (until you get hurt).
3. You should add some mac and cheese, BWOR, ABTs, and a fatty.
4. I didn't see a plane tickets for any of the brethren to share/help cook in your list. I know you'll get around to it though.

I'd do some onion rings in the deep fryer. Slice and separate the rings. Marinate in buttermilk for a few hours. Coat in flour. Another quick dip in the buttermilk and then coat in cracker meal. These are crazy good.

My apologies for not replying. Somehow, I lost track of this thread.

Onion rings are a great idea! Thanks !!

A few things:

1. you're not supposed to be cooking on your birthday, let alone your 50th.
2. Welcome to the 50 club. I will be departing next year. 50 is the new 30 (until you get hurt).
3. You should add some mac and cheese, BWOR, ABTs, and a fatty.
4. I didn't see a plane tickets for any of the brethren to share/help cook in your list. I know you'll get around to it though.

Thanks SmokinJohn.

I'm debating whether to get into non protein kind of stuff like sides (mac and cheese, beans, etc) or apps like ABT's. Kind of leaning more towards "small plate" protein offerings. Fatty's would fit into that. Have to admit, I have no idea what BWOR is.

The date of this shindig is approaching (Sept 21st).

Uggggh, my mind is frazzled and I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to ask what I'm looking for.

I'm normally a salt and pepper kind of guy when it comes to meat or steaks. I'm thinking I want to both kick things up a notch, as well as do something to make each type of meat offering a bit different than the other. Whether it's a seasoning, or an actual dish/recipe

I'm definitely going to do the following and already have recipes.

Kalbi
Bulgogi
Picanha

Things I'm looking at currently (have seen interesting recipes, just have to find them again):

Pork Al Pastor
Churrasco with Chimmichuri (?)

I'm also definitely doing the following, but am looking for different rubs/seasonings to change things up.

Brisket
Baby Backs
Ribeyes
Chicken breasts

I don't know if any of this makes sense. I hope it does. Basically, every 20 to 30 minutes or so, I want to send out a different meat platter/board with a minimum of accoutrements. Like with the bulgogi and kalbi, I'll have rice, kimchi and lettuce leaves. The picanha will probably go out by itself. The pork al pastor will have small tortillas and maybe some kind of toppings / garnish like a pico de gallo ?

Anyways, I'd appreciate any input/suggestions anyone would care to provide.

Found Shadowdriver's thread again and will basically use it as a blueprint for the Al Pastor using Moose's marinade.

Heh. You do your parties like I do. I love the plotting and planning and cooking more than I do the party itself. Good luck, and happy 50th!

Thanks. This is a bit out of my comfort zone. Normally, I just do the "regulars" for larger parties. Spares, BBs, brisket, ribeyes, chicken etc. Always plenty of options.

I had a relative ask me earlier this year about Bulgogi. He said he'd heard other relatives mention it, but he had never had it. Reason is, it's kind of difficult/tedious to try and make bulgogi for 50 or more people. Same with Kalbi and Picanha. I've made it for smaller groups like 10 to 15 people, and even then it was a serious chore.

From that conversation, I got the idea to do the "small plate" / "tasting" thing. I could cook up like 5lbs or so of each dish and let everyone have samples.

As for the rest of your post, yeah, the part I like best is to do the cooking, but then to sit back and watch as folks enjoy my offerings. Best part is when someone doesn't know I'm within earshot and I overhear them say something like "Damn, that's good". Or from across the deck, you see "that look" as they bite into something that they really like.

That's a hell of a lot more fun (and fulfilling) than going to a restaurant with everyone for my birthday.

I see you are doing lettuce leaves.
Dont underestimate the flavours of chicken and steaks sliced served in leaveas as well
I serve Porkbelly pieces in lettuce and they usually go first

Thanks. Good call. Can't believe that I didn't think about pork belly. Definitely going to have to do some searches to find different ways to prepare some. Pork belly burnt ends for sure.

You are in the 50's club now. I'd throw some salmon on. Take it from a charter member of the 60's club.

More salmon, less ribs and brisket. :mrgreen:

You are in the 50's club now. I'd throw some salmon on. Take it from a charter member of the 60's club.

More salmon, less ribs and brisket. :mrgreen:

Doh. I've never been a fish eater. About the only seafood type thing I eat is shrimp.

That said, it'd be a nice change of pace for the folks in attendance. Do you have a favorite recipe / preparation ?

I love salmon just about any way you fix it.

Oakridge Smoky Chili Lime is good, so is Boars Night Out White Lightning.

I like it rubbed with olive oil or mayo, then S&P, a little fresh garlic and topped with orange zest. Always skin side down, never turn it on the grill.

I think I would make less things, having made lots of things before and realizing how much work it is. Your special day though, congrats :thumb:

I absolutely love things like this. A lot of work, but fun. Then again, I'm biased, ha ha. Try to think of a theme for each item. You have the more American for some, Asian for some, Argentinian, Mexican and so on. You seem to already be on this path, but sometimes you just need validation. I also mix up my flavors by having something savory, sweet, spicy, exotic, creative, and fusion, etc. Even if you just want to stick to the usual suspects, try adding a fruit pico/salsas to them, grill sliced bread or grill flatbread. Add a chutney, chimmichurri, mole, pesto to everything to offer variety...you get the drift.

Have fun most importantly!

I love salmon just about any way you fix it.

Oakridge Smoky Chili Lime is good, so is Boars Night Out White Lightning.

I like it rubbed with olive oil or mayo, then S&P, a little fresh garlic and topped with orange zest. Always skin side down, never turn it on the grill.

Thanks.

Back