MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
deancox
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Coveting my neighbor's Bandera and Newbie Questions

No, I am not eyeing my neighbor's wife (not that I would admit it any way,) but he does have a NB Bandera parked on the side of his house and never uses it....and I HAVE been eyeballing that!

I have never smoked anything in my life, but I am a reasonably experienced professional cook and have been wanting to play around with smoking. I am determined to start doing it, so I talked to him and made him a deal...he lends me the smoker and I will give him slices of whatever I smoke as I learn.

I have read the Bandera 101 mod document and will make the necessary mods to his smoker. I am going to fire up my first brisket on Sunday.

I can handle the rub recipe ok on my own......any other suggestions?

For a simple first time attempt, what are your recommendations for wood variety? How much wood should I buy?

Feel free to point me to a "sticky" or other basic posts about this, I am pretty sure these questions have been asked a million times.
deancox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

There is nothing wrong with adding splits to a hot bed of coals You can have too much smoke Let the smoker settle in before you add the meat- you dont want white smoke- people refer to thin blue smoke- less chance of a rancid taste Let your wood warm up on top of the warming box before you add it to the fire- you cook will go better. You are picking a hard meat for your first time but when done right it is great. I like to cook brisket fat side down- the fat helps to protect the meat from the heat I am sure others will chime in Good luck and have fun
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

I started with a Bandera. I just bought a bundle of Hickory at Academy Sports when I started out. It would last about 2-3 cooks. I would add charcoal and a small split every 1/2 hour. I preheated the next split on the firebox shelf. Beware of the hot spot, the baffle will help with that. Raising the grate will help keep the fire burning. Those 2 mods are required IMHO. I always used a water pan and you will need to add water every say 3 hours. The temps vary pretty drastically from low to high so use that you your advantage. I never had much trouble maintaining 250 on the door gauge.

I made a lot of good Q on a Bandera, good luck with your cook. I might have suggested a butt instead of a brisket, as they are a bit more forgiving.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice deal with the neighbor...has he had much luck with the Bandera? Agree with what has been said about the brisket-first attempt.

I suggest Bigabyte's tutorial:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

Another great reference is from Bludawg:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=67

Best of luck, look forward to your results!
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

That tutorial is a great source
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

Btisket is the Hardest BBQ - Pork Butt/Shoulder is the EASIEST and Most Forgiving.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Btisket is the Hardest BBQ - Pork Butt/Shoulder is the EASIEST and Most Forgiving.
agreed, learn your pit and fire management on a pork butt first is what I would do
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
deancox
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Beginners luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
The brisket turned out fantastic. I have never smoked anything before, was using a borrowed Bandera, and was very pleased with the results, as were my guests.

Just grabbed what I had in the spice box for rub, pepper, salt, paprika, garlic.

Watched it like a hawk.....I made one of the recommended coal baskets, but could not keep the temp up much over 200, so I dumped coals onto the grate (about 3 4 inches off the bottom of the fire box) and presto! Instant 350, choked it down to about 275 using the side controls and the chimney...and away we went, waited until it was butter soft to the stab.

This Bandera used a large amount of fuel, but perhaps that is just my inexperience.....thanks for all the good advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meat.jpg (47.0 KB, 43 views)
deancox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandera, hard wood, neighbor's wife