MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #106
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkissell View Post
I placed my order for a PBC yesterday and it has already shipped. Estimated arrival is 1/22, and that's with the free shipping option. So far I'm very happy with the customer service.

I'm looking forward to my first test cook next week!

CANNOT wait to hear an honest comparison of BGE vs. PBC!!
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #107
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
... Anyone know if Noah has plans for making 55 gallon versions?
No, there are no plans for any other sizes.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #108
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
CANNOT wait to hear an honest comparison of BGE vs. PBC!!
I think PBC vs akorn would be a more fair review.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #109
pizzakngjr
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Another positive that is being missed, is that this thing is hot and ready to cook in 20 minutes. I can come home from work, fire it up, and have dinner on the table by 7 o'clock. My big smoker would be just getting warmed up!
Just curious, and please don't take this as being derogatory, as I am seriously looking into purchasing a PBC.

Your statement is kinda vague. What time do you get home from work? It's one thing if you work night shift and get home at 7am vs. working 9a-5p. Just curious as the reasonable timeframe for a cook. Obviously it will be different depending on the cut of meat. 20 minutes to fire it up + ??

And FYI for all interested, yes the offer is still valid. I registered last night and recieved the $100 off code

Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #110
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

The youtube demo shows 5 oz or so of lighter fluid being used...i would guess using an accelerant and lighting all the briqs at once allows one to be "cooking in 20 mins"!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #111
jfletcher84
Full Fledged Farker

I looked at a pbc today at the butchers shop. I fail to see what all the hype is about. it is just a small uds.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #112
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzakngjr View Post
Just curious, and please don't take this as being derogatory, as I am seriously looking into purchasing a PBC.

Your statement is kinda vague. What time do you get home from work? It's one thing if you work night shift and get home at 7am vs. working 9a-5p. Just curious as the reasonable timeframe for a cook. Obviously it will be different depending on the cut of meat. 20 minutes to fire it up + ??

And FYI for all interested, yes the offer is still valid. I registered last night and recieved the $100 off code
It's 20 minutes flat to be cooking, regardless of the meat. I can walk in the front door with whole chickens and have perfectly cooked halves on the table in two hours. Or, I can have a perfectly cooked tri-tip on the table in just under an hour. Oh, and there's zero tending for either.

John

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #113
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfletcher84 View Post
I looked at a pbc today at the butchers shop. I fail to see what all the hype is about. it is just a small uds.
I suspect that it's the same "hype" that surrounds the UDS. Get one and you'll know.

John

Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #114
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Gonna be doing to "non-hanging" cooks this weekend on the PBC, and I am already anticipating they will be 2 of the best I have ever done (not to mention the easiest). Gonna grill chicken kabobs on day 1, and hot-smoke a meatloaf the next :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #115
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzakngjr View Post

Like John said, start the coals at 5, rub the meat and hang after 20 minutes. Chicken halves have been taking me about 1 and 1/4 hours. I have cooked chicken halves on it 3 times since purchasing and it seems to be consistent. 2 of those cooks came after work, as stated, this week

I'm not sure if it the charcoal I am using, the altitude, or the setup of the air vent, but mine seems to run a bit hot (350). I could probably adjust it but the results have been perfect and I don't want to mess with a good thing.

I plan on doing a tri tip this weekend as well.

I have no dog in this hunt. I bought this thing purely based on price, the brethren debate and my lack of fabrication skills. I wanted a uds, saw this deal, figured I couldn't lose and pulled the trigger. I was pleasantly surprised with the results and now plan on cooking my competition chicken on it.

My unbiased review is that it works as advertised and you can't go wrong for the money. Of course, the exact same thing can be said about the wsm. Obviously you can modify a uds to hang meat and get similar results and if you are in to that sort of thing, go for it. If you are like me, however, and don't have the time or the skills to build anything more complicated than a sandwich, this is a good buy.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #116
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
It's 20 minutes flat to be cooking, regardless of the meat. I can walk in the front door with whole chickens and have perfectly cooked halves on the table in two hours. Or, I can have a perfectly cooked tri-tip on the table in just under an hour. Oh, and there's zero tending for either.

John
How do you light your briqs?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #117
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
How do you light your briqs?
With lighter fluid, per the instructions.

John

Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #118
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post

I'm not sure if it the charcoal I am using, the altitude, or the setup of the air vent, but mine seems to run a bit hot (350). I could probably adjust it but the results have been perfect and I don't want to mess with a good thing.
Why don't you try just using less coals, or lighting less of them and doing some kind of partial minion method?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #119
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Why don't you try just using less coals, or lighting less of them and doing some kind of partial minion method?
You pretty much end up with a minion burn. The coals on top are lit and it slowly burns down.

I personally don't do anything different because I like the results I am getting. I am just giving full disclosure that my cook times are shorter because the pbc has been running at 350 for me instead of the 290 as indicated by the documentation and others on this thread.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #120
sampsogt
Got rid of the matchlight.

If you want to DIY, but not real handy, this is for you, as long as you can drill a few holes.
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...rum-smoker-kit
Add a couple pieces of rebar...voila!
sampsogt is offline   Reply With Quote