MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #286
PrinceofQ
On the road to being a farker

Talking

I am loving all the great info and pics everyone has been posting! My father is coming over tomorrow and we're going to be putting this bad boy together. Can't wait!

I am going to be using the Weber 22.5 replacement charcoal grate like JM does. I will also be using a terra-cotta saucer as a heat diffuser / drip pan.

I just picked up some Publix GreenWise Lump Charcoal to use in it. I have used it before and really like it.

Thanks again everyone for sharing all your great pics and info on the Akorn

Jay

Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #287
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I finally had the time to watch all three videos and I just wanted to say thanks for the great review.. I didn't give this product much of a second thought when I gave it a glance at Lowe's but you've almost got me sold on one of these bad boys!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #288
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Got to put together my Kamado today. The instructions were reasonably clear but did leave room for interpretation. Only two screws missing. No big deal. However I made a choice to take the time to season the cast iron grate with a method I use with my pots.

I posted this method a long while back. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=98158

I involves the use of flax seed oil. It takes time, but the results are worth the time it takes. I'll let you know how it works.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #289
Ross
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
The 225&#176; Test - Failure but I still think it's possible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZ05bsnxLM
H

I would try it again, but with a Royal Oak or another premium charcoal. Also, I have even heard from some seasoned GreEn Egg enthusiasts that doing cooks at 225 and below can be a challenge. I would make sure you take out the fire box, clean out the bottom real well. Use only brand new coals for this cook. Layer the lump so the larger pieces are on the bottom and smaller on top. I have achieved getting my kamado down to that temp, but I have also failed a number of times as well, sometimes it has a mind of its own and wants to settle around 270 or so.
Also, one way to determine if your cooker is leaking air. Fill your fire box up fairly full, cook a steak, or something else that will be fairly quick and hot. Then, when you are done, shut down all the vents. If the fire goes out and you have a good amount of coals left over in the morning, your cooker is air tight. Otherwise, you will open up a big old pot of ashes the next morning.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #290
zwylde1
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
If there is enough interest in this group of owners to do this, I'd be happy to create a blog where everyone could post their cooks, experiences, and photographs.
count me in as well JM.

[FONT=Arial Black]Of everything I have lost in this life...I miss my mind the most![/FONT]
zwylde1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #291
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
H

I would try it again, but with a Royal Oak or another premium charcoal. Also, I have even heard from some seasoned GreEn Egg enthusiasts that doing cooks at 225 and below can be a challenge. I would make sure you take out the fire box, clean out the bottom real well. Use only brand new coals for this cook. Layer the lump so the larger pieces are on the bottom and smaller on top. I have achieved getting my kamado down to that temp, but I have also failed a number of times as well, sometimes it has a mind of its own and wants to settle around 270 or so.
Also, one way to determine if your cooker is leaking air. Fill your fire box up fairly full, cook a steak, or something else that will be fairly quick and hot. Then, when you are done, shut down all the vents. If the fire goes out and you have a good amount of coals left over in the morning, your cooker is air tight. Otherwise, you will open up a big old pot of ashes the next morning.
I agree with Ross. If the coals extinguish after shutting down the vents, then it's airtight. Mine is airtight with no mods and I'll bet everyone else's CG Akorn is also so the trick to low temps is fuel type, fuel amount and precise air vent control.
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #292
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Most grills will snuff out the charcoal when all the vents are closed even if they have a small air leak. My Weber kettle will even do that and I know it is not air tight. You have a point where there is not enough oxygen to sustain a burn even though there is some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbecue View Post
I agree with Ross. If the coals extinguish after shutting down the vents, then it's airtight. Mine is airtight with no mods and I'll bet everyone else's CG Akorn is also so the trick to low temps is fuel type, fuel amount and precise air vent control.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #293
Funky D

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
Most grills will snuff out the charcoal when all the vents are closed even if they have a small air leak. My Weber kettle will even do that and I know it is not air tight. You have a point where there is not enough oxygen to sustain a burn even though there is some.
Correct. The AMOUNT of time is what's a better indicator. If the coals were sucked into space, the fire would be out immediately. That not withstanding, if you close off the air and 60 minutes later the coals are out, that's pretty impressive, as they used up the air in the Acorn and then snuffed.

Small leaks will give those coals a very slow burn until they finally die out. I'm seeing 4 hours or so like JM. I'm not complaining, and I'll try to tweak it a bit with silicone, but heat management seems ok thus far. I just have to be careful not to let those coals get overfed, or it's 300 degrees, unless I just try to shut everything down. :(

Coals: Me:
Funky D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #294
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

JM, I see that you (and maybe some others as well) sealed the removable ash pan. I guess you plan to clean out the cooker from the top side from now on? Have you, or do you have plans to use some type of ash pan? I would be interested to know whay your thoughts are on that. I have not purchased the CGK yet but I plan to do so.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #295
Gat
Found some matches.

Thumbs up

I picked up the Menards version of the Akorn last week ($250 after rebate). I put it together pretty quick and only had one issue with the hinge - I had to space it off the base by 3/8" on one side to get the top to line up when closed. I plan to call to see if I can get a new hinge under warranty.

I did a hot and fast pork butt yesterday and it turn out great! I used the temp gauge on the unit as I don't have a probe gauge yet (it's in the mail!). I was able to keep the temp down at a 250 indicated for a bit but then I bumped it back up to 300 for the cook.

I'm coming from a modded ECB and I don't see myself going back to it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg akorn.jpg (32.5 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg akorn2.jpg (91.6 KB, 476 views)
Gat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #296
rawtalent

I've had my Acorn for about a week now. I bought it to use as a grill and it works great. I have been using clay flower pot bases in place of the water pan in my WSM for years so I'll no doubt put one in this cooker and toss a on butt sometime and do a long cook. 5 cooks (grilling from 400-600 dome therm) and have used less than a bag of RO. I start 3/4 chimney of lump and let her go. Close the vents down after the cook and there is always some charcoal left...enough for another cook one time..

Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #297
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
JM, I see that you (and maybe some others as well) sealed the removable ash pan. I guess you plan to clean out the cooker from the top side from now on? Have you, or do you have plans to use some type of ash pan? I would be interested to know whay your thoughts are on that. I have not purchased the CGK yet but I plan to do so.
It's not sealed. It's still removable.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #298
Ross
Knows what a fatty is.

For what its's worth, I. too, had to seal the bottom vent of my large Vision Kamado grill from Costco after not being able to maintain a consistently long low and slow. Like you, I removed the entire vent and then I place a bead of furnace cement between it and the ceramic wall. When removing the vent, I noticed the the manufacturer had the screws holding on the vent extremely loose, like they were hardly hand tight. I tightened them pretty snug, then I was worried that the ceramic might expand and crack around the screw holes, because of over tightening. So far, I have had no problems. I do believe that virtually anything that is mass-produced, and comes 80% preassembled, needs to be thoroughly checked out.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #299
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I have created a fan club of sorts for Kamado cooking :) If you are interested, please PM me for more information.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #300
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Great thread JM!!! Lots of good information. We are picking up one tomorrow!!!

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado