MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Building a Pizza oven & a smoker

Hey gang, in the near future i plan on building a brick wood fired pizza oven in the backyard (outdoor kitchen). Would it make any sense to build a smoker also next to the oven (not connected). A part of me thinks that i can use the pizza oven as a smoker also, but on the other hand its not really the same. Has anyone done this?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
Hey gang, in the near future i plan on building a brick wood fired pizza oven in the backyard (outdoor kitchen). Would it make any sense to build a smoker also next to the oven (not connected). A part of me thinks that i can use the pizza oven as a smoker also, but on the other hand its not really the same. Has anyone done this?
I haven't seen it done, but it's possible by using a door.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
I haven't seen it done, but it's possible by using a door.
Check this out.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f25/...prk-18030.html

I know it can be done, like you said with the door closed it basically is a smoker.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
el_matt
Babbling Farker

"A part of me thinks that i can use the pizza oven as a smoker also, but on the other hand its not really the same. Has anyone done this?"

I could be wrong, but a pizza oven would probably get ruined from all of the seasoning from slow cooked meats. By that I mean it'd get all greasey and nasty.

That being said, I don't have a wood fired oven. If I did, I don't think I'd cook anything in it but pizza and breads.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
"A part of me thinks that i can use the pizza oven as a smoker also, but on the other hand its not really the same. Has anyone done this?"

I could be wrong, but a pizza oven would probably get ruined from all of the seasoning from slow cooked meats. By that I mean it'd get all greasey and nasty.

That being said, I don't have a wood fired oven. If I did, I don't think I'd cook anything in it but pizza and breads.

Matt

Many many people cook meat/roasts in the pizza oven. Do you know how hot these things get? If there was any grease from meat the fire would burn it all out.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Off the top of my head, I imagine there's a way to build the pizza oven with a firebox below, vertical style, and have a smoker cooking chamber beside it like an offset design. Then it'd just be a matter of using exhaust dampers on both cookers so you can route the heat into one or the other.

Or you could have two cookers for simplicity sake.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Did someone say pizza smoker?
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

V-wiz I had the same plan when I built my WFO but never did the smoker part. The learning curve using the oven itself to smoke or slowcook meats is really more then I cared to invest in especially since I built my UDS. I did put in a butt once when the temp had dropped to 300 and pulled out in the morning when the temp was at 195 and it was very good, not UDS great though.

Once I fire my oven for pizza and the temps get over about 600F, the carbon burns off the walls, I can fire my oven on Doug Fir and finish with oak and maple without any pitchy flavors. Grease would burn off too.

I based my oven plans on those by Rado of traditionaloven.com. If I had to do It again I would make a shorter wall height as I made it big enough to cook a turkey and now I doubt I'll ever need that much heighth.

That said, having a pizza oven makes pizza night at our house very fun and interactive.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakers View Post
V-wiz I had the same plan when I built my WFO but never did the smoker part. The learning curve using the oven itself to smoke or slowcook meats is really more then I cared to invest in especially since I built my UDS. I did put in a butt once when the temp had dropped to 300 and pulled out in the morning when the temp was at 195 and it was very good, not UDS great though.

Once I fire my oven for pizza and the temps get over about 600F, the carbon burns off the walls, I can fire my oven on Doug Fir and finish with oak and maple without any pitchy flavors. Grease would burn off too.

I based my oven plans on those by Rado of traditionaloven.com. If I had to do It again I would make a shorter wall height as I made it big enough to cook a turkey and now I doubt I'll ever need that much heighth.

That said, having a pizza oven makes pizza night at our house very fun and interactive.

Thanks for the info. Im really tempted to build a smoker also, but i just dont want to make something that can be done in one unit, sorta stuck here.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

http://www.wayfair.com/EcoQue-Wood-f...FQeynQodk1sAJQ
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyley View Post
Anyone with first hand info on this thing????

I wonder what the pizza box working temp is..

Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

There is someone on that fornobravo site that built a WFO, with a separate firebox to use the WFO as a smoker with a door on it. Search around on that site.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

Here's the link:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...gloo-5702.html

Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
jsperk
Babbling Farker

I'm thinking about building one of these.
http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyar...056/index.html
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyley View Post

I want to build a brick oven, not purchase a steel oven. But thank you.