$25 Porterhouse on GrillGrates

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Birthday celebration last night. Went down to the butcher and got these hand cut beauties. Biggest filet I've ever seen on a Porterhouse. The thing almost looked perfectly proportionate. And thick too! 1.8 lbs. in total. Couldn't resist throwing a great looking ribeye into the order as well :) And yes, that is a full-sized dinner plate that the porterhouse is maxing out.

Usually I'm a reverse sear kind of guy, but I decided to do these using Malcom Reed's 8-minute method for ribeyes on hot GrillGrates. 2 minutes, twist; 2 minutes, flip; two minutes, twist; 2 minutes, pull em off! Though for these puppies I actually did more like 2:15 per stage, with about a 3:00 finisher. They were super thick steaks.

Used Royal Oak lump with a few briquettes thrown on top just for extra fuel. I've had lots of trouble with things sticking to my GrillGrates and wanted to make sure I got em hot enough in our chilly Minnesota temps. (If anyone has tips on GrillGrates that are not performing as they ought, I'm all ears. I have loads of problems with hamburgers sticking, and flareups for both burgers and steaks. Really frustrating given how much I paid for the product.)

Steaks turned out awesome, as did the creamy mashed potatoes, Rhodes' Texas dinner rolls, and Peanut Butter Texas Sheet Cake with BOTH peanut butter AND chocolate icing (we like to double dip around here, y'all), topped with Mackinac Island Fudge ice cream. Yep.

Last edited:
Man the tenderloin on that porterhouse looks amazing

Perfectly done I love my grill grates I get them searing hot Have never has a problem with a steak sticking to them I want to try turning them over and do burgers- should be like a flat top

What a feast!

"Peanut Butter Texas Sheet Cake" got my attention. Hmmmm . . . need to check it out. Have consumed a lotta Texas Sheet Cake with chocolate icing and a buncha pecans but never with peanut butter.

Perfectly done I love my grill grates I get them searing hot Have never has a problem with a steak sticking to them I want to try turning them over and do burgers- should be like a flat top

I'm gonna have to go that route too. Or just switch to my new Lodge rectangle cast iron griddle.

Wow, thanks for the encouragement everyone! Still learning the BBQ and grilling ropes but love doing it and always trying to get better. Hoping to maybe try my hand at an SCA event this summer :)

maybe get that fire hotter and yes flip them over for an overall crust.

I love to smoke but prefer the taste of grilled.

Outstanding!!

Back