sawzall blades for cutting bone and frozen meat

Royalslover

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have a favorite sawzall blade for bone and frozen meat? I was helping a friend cut up a pig that he butchered and could barely cut through the ribs with my all purpose blade.

I use an battery angle grinder with straight cut blades, used for cutting Aluminuim.5inch.
Cuts bone great

I'd use a metal blade, thin kerf. Also might duckduckgo "meat cutting band saw blades" which should give you a good clue for tpi and just match it.

Which I just did. Looks like meat cutters use a 3 or 4 thread per inch (tpi) blade. That is a pretty aggressive blade, so maybe a Sawzall demolition blade.

Last edited:
Sawsall Blade..............

Yeah......I tried the metal cutting blade on a big ham bone.......it just made mush and did not cut well..............went to the more aggressive blade for wood and it did the job...........

I use a "pruning" blade, that works pretty good. As for ribs, a proper cleaver does a good job and fast.

Just curious were you having problems with cutting JUST through the bone, or were you also trying to cut through skin? I'm only asking because a reciprocating saw does very well against bone in general, but the way it vibrates makes it a pain to cut through skin. When I'm cutting the trotters off a pig for a whole hog cook I'll use my boning knife to cut through the skin and meat all the way to the bone. Then I'll grab my reciprocating saw (metal cutting blade..small teeth almost like a hacksaw), and it just tears through the bone like nothing is there.

I did try cutting a hog with a reciprocating saw and the skin and meat made it pretty much impossible...just vibrated and wouldn't cut.

I think the blades posted earlier (the stainless steel ones on Amazon) should do you good. Stainless is always best when dealing with food.

Good luck.

Just curious were you having problems with cutting JUST through the bone, or were you also trying to cut through skin? I'm only asking because a reciprocating saw does very well against bone in general, but the way it vibrates makes it a pain to cut through skin. When I'm cutting the trotters off a pig for a whole hog cook I'll use my boning knife to cut through the skin and meat all the way to the bone. Then I'll grab my reciprocating saw (metal cutting blade..small teeth almost like a hacksaw), and it just tears through the bone like nothing is there.

I did try cutting a hog with a reciprocating saw and the skin and meat made it pretty much impossible...just vibrated and wouldn't cut.

I think the blades posted earlier (the stainless steel ones on Amazon) should do you good. Stainless is always best when dealing with food.

Good luck.

I was trying to separate baby backs from spares(from one end to the other cutting perpendicular to the bones). It was vibrating like crazy and it was hard to hold also. There wasn't much meat on there but I still think it should have cut easier than it did.

Ask any butcher and they'll tell you saws are for bones, knives are for meat, and never the twain shall meet.
Ed

Ask any butcher and they'll tell you saws are for bones, knives are for meat, and never the twain shall meet.
Ed

I was a butcher in a small grocery store when I was in High School...... a long time ago. We had a 20" capacity meat band saw that used SS blades. i used it all the time to cut Steaks, Roasts, etc. For example, you can't cut a 1/2- 3/4" Round Steak from a full beef hind leg without using a saw.

To break down halves or quarters of Beef to a size that I could get them on the band saw, I used a 12" Butcher knife and a hand held meat saw, like a huge hack saw, that also had SS blades.

just the other day I used my oscillating tool to cut through the bones in a bone in pork loin. first time doing so and it worked great. I used a bi-metal blade. it was easy than the sawzall.

I cut a pigs head in half no problem with just an aggressive toothed wood saw blade on my sawzall. didn't get any bone fragmenting or anything either as I was warned I might :)

Back