BBQ Brethren "Legs" Throwdown

SmokeJumper

is Blowin Smoke!
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Legs!"[/size]
chicken_legs_front.jpg

Photo from artbysteph.com.

...as chosen by Jonny Rotisserie, the winner of the Whole Fish Throwdown!

I think you get the idea here...the entry must feature leg(s) cooked over live-fire:becky:

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 9/10 through Sunday 9/19.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 9/19.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 9/20 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 9/24. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Satay Throwdown until Sunday night 9/12 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Bacon Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Bill- Can you get kangaroo quarters (like beef) over there?... wait wrong thread.. well maybe not?? :confused:

Funny thing is a bought a fryer at lunch to cook this weekend and I'm scared to open the package now. What if the legs look like that? Should have gotten the steaks.

What if there was a throwdown and nobody posted ... would it still be
a throwdown?
Well, I feel rather exposed here showing you my legs:wink:.
There were enthusiastic comments about this throwdown too.Well, let's just hop to it and hopefully we'll make a splash.
I wanted to get something a little different for this throwdown, so I headed down to the Asian market yesterday morning.
These were a little pricey, but you can't find these in just any pond I guess.

IMG_0672.jpg

I marinaded my legs in lemon juice and evoo, crushed garlic and salt and pepper.

IMG_0677.jpg

I've been keen to try these for some time now and since my husband is
off playing with Phubar I had to do something to amuse myself.

This is just a teaser as the finished product is for his eyes only. Who can
resist fishnet stockings?

IMG_0685.jpg

These marinaded for about one hour and then I grilled them 4 min a side.

IMG_0687.jpg

I plated these on a pad of couscous done up with a little
chicken broth and parsley.

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0692-1.jpg

I have to admit they didn't taste as much like chicken as I thought they would but they were nice.
Thanks for looking.
e.

Nice tasty-looking legs Honey, but I'm not sure I like you showing them off to the whole world.

We actually eat frog legs quite often, but always fried. Never grilled them, but will have to give it a go. Those look dang good from here:thumb:

Ecode, when I saw this category I immediately thought of frog leggs. But I have to say your legs look darn good. Gore, Pun intended :becky:

Fishnet stockings! WOW :clap2::clap2:

Don't think I have time to earn another zero this week.

I have to admit I am surprised at the lack of turnout this week. Perhaps everyone is still smarting from the buzz saw SmokeJumper put on us all with the satay TD last week? I personally went from top of the world to my very first zero…I’m in!! :bow:

Undeterred, I dust myself off and try again with this week’s entry. First, though, kudos to ecode! One clarification...are “flog legs” (loved that!) legs that have been beaten or legs that are used to beat? I suppose for this TD we will find out soon enough.

Here is my humble submission from near the banks of the Savannah River, South Carolina side:
IMG_0957-1.JPG

Chicken legs cooked over pecan and some oak, tossed with some Lawry's chicken/poultry rub. The green stuff ended up getting eaten up before I could get it to the plate. My first-ever attempt at Bananas Foster in the Spitmate basket was also long gone before plating time arrived.

IMG_0961-1.JPG

Here’s my entry. Please don’t flog me.

--Jonny Rotisserie

This week I went with a Blue Front chicken leg picnic plate. Grilled chicken legs with evoo, black pepper, cayenne, and finished with Blue Front BBQ sauce. The legs were served with buckboard bacon beans, deviled eggs, blue corn tortillas, and grilled white nectarines with brown sugar and cinnamon. And a cool one to wash it down with. Thanks for looking.
raw.jpg

grill.jpg

cooked.jpg

plated.jpg
My entry.

Smoked Fried legs

I wanted to kick up smoked chicken legs so I decided to smoke them till they were almost done and then deep fry them until they were nice a golden brown. That way I would have the best of both worlds...the smoke flavor and the slap your grandma crunchy exterior. Here goes.....

Seasoned with salt and pepper and ready for the smoker....
123.jpg

I smoked them for 45 mins at 265 with applewood
Here they are just off the smoker, pulled them at 150 degrees
125.jpg
here is my frying rig all set up
126.jpg
Close up of one leg cut
128.jpg
And lastly my entry
132.jpg
Thanks for looking

Back