The Life of Tri...

FamilyManBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
...began just over three years ago. A man, and his daughter, began their journey in competitive bbq cooking...at an event called Washington Spring Training, their first.

It was a good day for Daddy and Me BBQ....their first event, and their first GC!!
FriApr30103849PDT2010.jpg

(here's a link to a post with more details http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84883)

Out here in the PNWBA one-day (lite cooks) include chicken, ribs, sausage and tri-tip. On this day Daddy and Me scored in the top three in each category...except tri-tip.

a7df95dc-efa8-4542-9502-1833d923b93a.jpg

This entry earned us 6th place...must've been the taste. Soon after we promised ourselves that one day we'd walk away with a first place trophy in this category.

We then set about cooking tri-tip whenever we could. We grilled 'em, "seared" and smoked 'em, reverse-seared 'em and even smoked a few like a brisket. Many of these cooks were done on our favorite tool (mini wsm/smoker joe).

We settled on the reverse-sear on the min wsm as our comp method. Here's some pics of practice at home...
088.jpg

118.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

0afa825e-4090-4e44-8723-3768c4379df6.jpg

While we loved the tri-tip we cooked...well, the judges just didn't seem to share our enthusiasm. We continued to fight the good fight, experimenting with different rubs, seasonings and finishing sauces/oil/jus. We didn't give up...and had some success, getting several calls in the tri-tip category. But, no first place trophy.

The judges, it seems, didn't care for much pink in the meat. It was easy to brush aside comments on the seasonings, appearance etc. But, the comments on the pink always bothered us. After all, good tri-tip's gotta have a little pink to it!!??

This year we searched decided on drastic measures. Confident that our flavors, seasonings and sauces were good...adjusted our cooking method. We set the mini wsm aside, and returned to a trusty 22.5" kettle...with a rotisserie ring!!

The new Daddy and Me tri-tip process involves spinning the beef above coals banked (basketed) to one side.

Started turning in meat that looks like this...
24f0611b-158d-43f5-bec2-2763d3a6720c.jpg

49308719-0fde-4b2f-82be-de520fe6e7fc.jpg

The tri-tip cooked on the rotisserie has a more uniform color to it. Outside of the smoke ring...the color is very much the same throughout the pieces of meat. Taste, tenderness are still spot on.

This method worked. In our third contest with this method we got...the long sought after first place trophy!!! Unfortunately, the only pics I have are of me walking in the sealed box...

So, had to recreate our cook. Here's a bit of the process...
007.jpg

Tri-tip and our super secret "tri-tip slather" based on something PatioDaddio does. Thanks PD!!

012.jpg

All slathered up. Then, goes into a cooler for a few hours.

024.jpg

Then it gets a dusting of our super-secret rub...and the cooks over legal age get some homebrew.

032.jpg

Into the basket and then over the fire...

048.jpg

Let it run until it hits about 125-130 internal. Then, we begin basting with our "super secret tri-tip baste."

081.jpg

Almost there now. When it is done...gets a short rest on cutting board, tented with foil, until it's sliced.

090.jpg

104.jpg

Happily resting...next to the long sought after trophy...and the ribbons collected in pursuit of.

118.jpg

dfa41851-6ad3-4a1b-8a09-a33f6ae5a4b4.jpg

3756c17c-39b1-4432-a731-df4768da997a.jpg

Was a very satisfying journey. As our banner reads, Daddy and Me is "cooking up good food and great memories." Lots of quality father/daughter time, and many a good meal, has resulted from this quest for a little six inch trophy. Think we won a bit more than this piece of plastic.

Thanks for checking out our story.

How awesome!
I'll bet you were happy but the lil cutie there was probably on top of the world!

What was the difference in the two temps? The first one that had more of a "pink" color and the 1st place that had a more done color? I want to make some Tri-tip and want to know what temps to shoot for. Thanks

Yowza, that's some of the finest looking tri-tip I've seen! Congrats on first place, too.

Back