MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #16
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Yes, the vid I saw was the same one you posted earlier. I'll be sure to check out the second one you linked above!

It really seemed her sauce was something special, too, which you confirmed. I also like you get the choice of having the meat on the sammich pulled or chopped.

Do you have a pic of the sausage sammich?
Unfortunately, no, it was a sloppy mess. Charred sausage on a hot-dog bun with coleslaw and BBQ sauce. As I recall the sauce was somewhat reminiscent of Arby's sauce. My wife doesn't like sweet and I don't do sour. We both liked the sauce, not too sweet or sour, I guess. There are a lot of ok sausages, but this one was the best sausage we've had in a long time, not sure what kind it was, if local or what. It was of the reddish variety if that is any help, but had a beautiful char mark going down it. The coleslaw and sauce were great. We were eating in the car and just finished the pork sandwiches and this was dripping wrapped in that same paper that you see in the videos and our hands were covered in bbq sauce and coleslaw. Would've been a chore to get out the camera for another pic, and after one bite, taking a picture was the last thing on our minds. Guess you're just going to have to go there and check it out yourself.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 10-29-2020, 01:41 AM   #17
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Wow, I'm surprised to see many familiar places on that list!

One of my cigar chat buddies recently mentioned Ridgeway, specifically during a blue cheese discussion.

The Big Bob Gibsons trophy part had me literally laughing out loud (we ordered their baked potatoes when we went, and looooved them)

I had a similar experience at Rendezvous as your first trip, and when she went with her friends last year, it mirrored mine. I'm glad you found out they actually can make edible food.

Central is an interesting place. I went to the one on Central (I think there are 3 locations?) with a coworker, and we loved it. I sent another coworker later, and then a family friend. They both said it was the words BBQ they had ever had.

Mostly, I'm impressed you could eat that much Que. I sure love making it, but meal after meal just isn't that exciting to me. Glad you had a safe trip! Thanks for the fantastic post.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #18
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Wow, I'm surprised to see many familiar places on that list!

One of my cigar chat buddies recently mentioned Ridgeway, specifically during a blue cheese discussion.

The Big Bob Gibsons trophy part had me literally laughing out loud (we ordered their baked potatoes when we went, and looooved them)

I had a similar experience at Rendezvous as your first trip, and when she went with her friends last year, it mirrored mine. I'm glad you found out they actually can make edible food.

Central is an interesting place. I went to the one on Central (I think there are 3 locations?) with a coworker, and we loved it. I sent another coworker later, and then a family friend. They both said it was the words BBQ they had ever had.

Mostly, I'm impressed you could eat that much Que. I sure love making it, but meal after meal just isn't that exciting to me. Glad you had a safe trip! Thanks for the fantastic post.
One thing we all know is that getting a consistent product is a huge challenge, especially when you're cooking for the masses. Last night I was rewatching that second video highlighting Helen's BBQ (a couple posts up). It is a tour and the last stop was at Rendezvous. In the video you can see them adding a liberal amount of seasoning on the ribs afterward. That is what I'd had the first time I'd visited. This most definitely was not what I had this time, and it was so much better. Perhaps, a new chef who didn't know what he was doing?

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #19
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Unfortunately, no, it was a sloppy mess. Charred sausage on a hot-dog bun with coleslaw and BBQ sauce. As I recall the sauce was somewhat reminiscent of Arby's sauce. My wife doesn't like sweet and I don't do sour. We both liked the sauce, not too sweet or sour, I guess. There are a lot of ok sausages, but this one was the best sausage we've had in a long time, not sure what kind it was, if local or what. It was of the reddish variety if that is any help, but had a beautiful char mark going down it. The coleslaw and sauce were great. We were eating in the car and just finished the pork sandwiches and this was dripping wrapped in that same paper that you see in the videos and our hands were covered in bbq sauce and coleslaw. Would've been a chore to get out the camera for another pic, and after one bite, taking a picture was the last thing on our minds. Guess you're just going to have to go there and check it out yourself.

I understand the "after taking one bite" syndrome where everything else in the world ceases to exist because it tastes so damn good.

They are rare, unexpected moments, meant to be cherished and savored. Now that I understand how good it REALLY was, I'm glad you didn't try to take a picture.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #20
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Outstanding BBQ crawl!

Just texted my nephew Glenn (Gatordawg here) in Jackson, TN that I expect to go to Helen's the next time we're in TN.

I've been to Martin's, Puckett's, the Rendezvous and Central BBQ but would love to check out all the others mentioned.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #21
Gore
Phizzy

I know this is way late, but the image showed up from Due South BBQ in Christiansburg, Virginia. It was hiding in the cloud somewhere.

The smoked potatoes were outstanding. I did finish the pulled pork we picked up to take home. I will say that it was some of the worst pulled pork that I ever had. Lots and lots of fat. Huge blobs of fat mixed in with the pork, I'm talking tablespoon size. My daughter and wife were disgusted. I thought it couldn't be that bad and made myself a bowl. It was that bad.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #22
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Next time, please take pictures

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote