Brine: Sea Salt vs. Table Salt?

NorCalTDS

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hey all,

This may be a strange question, but does anyone know if/how I should change the proportions in my brine if I'm using Sea Salt instead of regular Table Salt for a chicken brine?

Sea Salt seems to be a lot "saltier" in my experience, but it's all I have for tonight....

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I forget the ratio, but I think you use less. There was a thread on salt last week and a chart was posted on how to calculate the difference.

Michael Ruhlman's book Ratio has an excellent chapter on brines. Following his example of doing everything by weight instead of measuring cups has made a heck of a difference in how my brines work.

Yes, modify your brines, and all your other recipe cooking to weights and conversions are easier.

Here is a nice PDF I found online a while back. Lots of good info for brining.

Attachments

• BriningBasics.pdf
    274.8 KB · Views: 35
Michael Ruhlman's book Ratio has an excellent chapter on brines. Following his example of doing everything by weight instead of measuring cups has made a heck of a difference in how my brines work.

Here! Here!

I use a hard boiled egg and regular table salt,I think it's with iodine.
I can't taste the difference in brine between salt with iodine or seasalt.

Agree with the comments about weight. The size of the salt crystals themselves vary so much, that even the conversion charts aren't "exact".

Scales are cheap enough and really will help in most recipes. I got one for making pizza dough and it helped that recipe a lot.

Russ
Author Brining 101

Back