MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
NelsonC
On the road to being a farker

Default Fine needle injector?

Hey everyone,

I normally do my injections with a standard green cajun injector, but I've been looking for something with a slightly narrower needle. I pretty much want to inject with a thin liquid (no particles) and don't want to make such big holes in the meat. Does anyone have any experience with a meat injector with a pretty thin needle? Thanks in advance.

-NelsonC
NelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

I use 18g and 221/2 g surgical needles with 50ml syringes all the time, definitely time consuming, and the needles are pretty easy to break.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Target and Big Lots have been my source of thin needles for a long time. Vet supplies, farm and home type stores will usually have them also. Thinner neekles are my choice so one doesn't leave gaping holes to leak. 1/8th inch is my choice.A spice or coffee grinder gets the seasonings down to injectable sizes also. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I second Early Mornin smokin's testimony.

I've used my wifes diabetic syringes. I think they're 28 guage or finer yet. I wouldn't recommend it. It takes all day long to inject something with any good amount of fluid. In fact, I gave up before it made any difference.

Maybe look for a 16g needle, since Early morning said that 18g took a long time too.

Let us know if you find anything worthwhile.
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Aren't the brine pumps fine needles.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Jburt
On the road to being a farker

I second the farm store. You can get luer lock syringe and a wide variety of needles for them (so you can use a small one when you want or a large one if you need to move some solids). Ask them about swine and cattle needles. Neogen (used to be Ideal) makes some detectable needles in case you break one off in the meat (http://www.neogen.com/animalsafety/A...sp?Inst_ID=200). There's enough production ag north and south of Chesapeake that they shouldn't be hard to come by. Do yourself a favor and get the aluminum hub, they hold up better than the poly hub models. PrimaTech makes a good needle and syringe as well and you could probably fashion a bottle that fits their vaccinators (primatechusa.com).