Crockpot or Oven - Reheating Pork

Cahusky

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just finished about 9lbs of pulled pork and was planning to seal and reheat in boiling water on site tomorrow at a small party im doing. Unfortuntely, the FoodSaver just died an im staring at a big pile of pulled pork that is now going to be split into a couple of half pans and rest over night in the fridge. My question is........How to reheat in lieu of boiling in the bag which I usually do. I looked at a number of threads on this topic but answers were pretty much all over the map. My options are Crockpot (with apple juice and a little rub) or oven (also with apple juice and rub added). Is there any concensus as to which leaves you with a moister, tastier product?

One other option, can you boil ziplock freezer bags ???

Last edited:
If I were in your situation, it would be a low temp oven. Pan tightly covered with foil.

I may be over cautious & would be scareded that a ziplock would not hold the seal.

Two restaurants I eat at use crock like warmers:becky:

I use an oven to reheat, of course, I do not own a vacusealer or crockpot.

Zip locks but I use a double boiler for reheats like yours. That steam really keeps the meat moist...

I would go low heat in a pan tightly covered with foil & some liquid.... Never reheated anything in a zip-bag, can't comment on that.......

From a technical point of view, the plastic will tolerate the waterbath reheating process no problem. The ziplock seal would not fail. I'd still go for an oven and foil though...but that's just me.

I have had good luck with a large electric frying pan. I add a little apple juice, mixed with BBQ sauce, then heat on low. The large heating surface brings the meat up to temp quickly without drying it out.

I would think the crock would keep in the moisture better. BTW a good cooler will keep it hot for a long time.

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I went the over route, wrapped pan tightly with foil and added apple juice for moisture. When it reached 160 I added a vinegary finishing sauce and headed to the party. It came out really well and the party was a huge success. My first paid gig after a ton of tailgates and parties for friends and family!!!

I know you've already served your pork, but I would have crocked it. The circumstances behind that decision is probably different from most though.

Living in AZ means an oven also heats up the house (and uses more elec than the crock), which means the AC must work harder to keep the home cool.

What can I say...I'm cheap.

I know you've already served your pork, but I would have crocked it. The circumstances behind that decision is probably different from most though.

Living in AZ means an oven also heats up the house (and uses more elec than the crock), which means the AC must work harder to keep the home cool.

What can I say...I'm cheap.

Actually, the way I most commonly reheat my BBQ'd meats is to put them in a Pyrex container with a bit of water in the bottom and one side or corner of the lid slightly open. Put in microwave, then set microwave power on 5 and heat until the meat's up to the desired temperature. If you nuke it low and slow, it's moist, doesn't blow the meat apart like if you nuked it on 'High' and both flavor and texture is preserved better than if reheated in either crockpot or oven. For some reason folks who BBQ often get better at the relatively difficult task of controlling the temps in their smoker than the much easier one of controlling temps in a microwave. That's the only reason I can think of that it's so frequently overlooked as a means of reheating meats.

I take a mess of Q into work once a month. Usually some combination of pulled pork, chopped brisket, Dutch's beans, sausage, mushrooms, onions & taters, bologna. Everything reheats great in crock pots, and since our meal times are staggered throughout the day, the crocks keep everything moist and ready-to-go. It's not unusual to start warming things up at 10, and still have folks eating on it at 7. As long as they put the blasted lids on after digging out what they want, it works great!

I've always steamed mine to reheat it at home. Not sure how this would work for a party, but at home it is the bomb...

Back