Smoke in one WSM or two WSM? Help!

S

Sam_Wheat

Hello everyone! I have people coming over tomorrow and will be smoking pork butt roasts for sandwiches. I have two individual 9 pound pork butt roasts and need to start smoking tonight. Please excuse this dumb question ...

If you go based on smoking 1.5 hours per pound am I looking at roughly 27 hours for the two of them in the same WSM on different grates? Or is it 13.5 hours?

If it's going to take 27 hours (roughly) should I smoke in two different WSM's? Thanks! I appreciate all your help!

-Paul

I would use just one. Shouldn't take but about 1.5 hours per pound or less at 250 degrees (around 12 hours). Also, make sure you do a reality check on the doneness of your meat as the hours per pound is just an estimate. And don't forget...we love pics around here! Hope everything turns out well!

God bless,
Disciple

You can cook them up at 275° to get them done a little quicker too... they won't take twice as long to cook in the same cooker. They will do fine.

Your 13.5 hour estimate sounds just about right at 250F. Remember it's better to have them finish and rested in a cooler than have hungry guest farking asking for the beef. I'd toss them on 16 hours prior to your serving time.

Put them both in one, you'll be fine. It's per lb of a single unit, not total pounds in the smoker, ie two 5lb butts should only take around 6 hours, not 12.

I cook mine in a 22.5" WSM around 300* and foil after about 4 hours. I'll check temps after about 2 hours in foil (6 hrs total cook time) and pull it when it hits 198-204 or when it's probe tender. I then let them rest for half hour minimum.

Back