Buying commercial rubs and sauces

SchoonDawg

Reaction score
Commercial rubs and sauces are not easy to come by up here in the Great White North, fortunately my folks are wintering in FL this year.

Can you buy good commercial rubs and sauces in standard grocery stores?

Any recommendations on things I should put on my wishlist?

Bass Pro shops is a great place to get rubs at. they got stores all over florida

Why not make your own? Don't tell me you live that far out in the woods. After that, like it was said, buy online.

It's worth it to buy the good stuff online. I have tried every kind of rub/sauce my local stores sell, and a really large number of rubs/sauce from online or acquired through trades. None of the best stuff is commercial.:thumb:

I'm a big fan of making my own rubs & sauces. I haven't looked around this site for those recipes yet, but I guarantee you'll find some great concoctions around here.

I think the OP was looking for suggestions on specific rubs and sauces. I wouldn't mind seeing what other people like, too.

I make my own rubs and sauces, but like to try new things, so I occasionally try a commercial rub or sauce that has been recommended to me, or comes from a BBQ joint that I like.

On my last pork butt, I used a rub from The Salt Lick down in Driftwood, TX, because I love their ribs. I'd recommend it to a friend.

CD

I think the OP was looking for suggestions on specific rubs and sauces. I wouldn't mind seeing what other people like, too.

I make my own rubs and sauces, but like to try new things, so I occasionally try a commercial rub or sauce that has been recommended to me, or comes from a BBQ joint that I like.

On my last pork butt, I used a rub from The Salt Lick down in Driftwood, TX, because I love their ribs. I'd recommend it to a friend.

CD

I guess I should have been more specific. Caseydog is right. I do make my own but would like to have some suggestions on what people use "off the shelf" I've looked at online but once you add in shipping it gets pricey, that and I've heard customs horror stories.

Here are some of my favorites:
Plowboys Yardbird
The Slabs Birds & Bones
Smokin' Guns Hot
And of course, my own Mister Bob's Blue Ribbon Spice Rub

For rubs, I think you can not go wrong with Plowboy's, 3-Eyez, Simply Marvelous, Smokin' Guns or Smokey Okie's Rooster Booster. For sauces, BigButz, Rubbed Smoked & Sauced, StickyPig, and Blues Hog are all good.

You know i was at the Plant City Pig Jam today eating ribs and listening to Johnny Trigg share the gospel and one of the things he said was since so many people have spent so much money on rubs why try, just find one or tow you like and go with it. I'm sure you can order just about anything from our friends at http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/, I'll bet they can figure out a way to get it across the border, not far from them. Oh yea, Simply marvelous, just sayin'

I like the one's mentioned above plus Dizzy Pig products. Bass Pro can provide you with some good rubs, especially the Plowboys.

I will add, that I use Simply Marvelous rubs, which I get locally, but can be mail ordered from them. Also a Brethren and a good guy.

Back