Taylor Thermometer

Taylor makes good products. I'd trust that before I'd go with Maverick, especially for $15.

I bought this unit a while back and now use it as a backup, but never had any issues with it. Definitely worth the $15. I never put the batteries in the wireless pager that comes with it so I can't speak to that.

There are many quality products made in the USA before you consider a made in China product IMO

YMMV

Not to be captious Teleking, but, which ones would those be? I have no idea which thermometer products in a low to moderate price range are made in the USA, if you know of them, could you post them?

Here is an interesting site, where you can look for American made products...

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/

As for thermometers, I found that Weber makes one that is part of the "Wever Style" line that is made in USA, and sells for $33 at Meijer.

CD

I have been using that thermometer for a few months. it seems to work well. the programming of a target temp is clunky and when the unit goes into power-saver mode you lose the programmed temp. Both the unit and the remote beep (the remote will beep, buzz or both) They give a warning beep at 20* before target, 10* before target, and at target. If you crossed one of those threshholds and then dropped a few degrees and then went back across the beeping drove me nuts. I have gone to just powering on the unit only when I am actually checking a temp. The remote had enough range to beep from 50' + through the walls of the house. For $15 I would grab two so I could monitor meat temp with one and grate temp with the other.

I purchased mine about a year ago for about $30. The bright blue backlight is nice and the thermo has all of the meet temps stored along with a timer. The things I didn't like were the remote pager worked well within 100' but would drop the signal shortly after. Also I had to insert the probe almost to the bend to keep it from reading the pit temp instead of the food temp. The last thing I didn't like was while I was doing pulled pork loin it shut off probably 5 times. No warning just shut off. Changing the batteries didn't help. Maybe it was user ignorance or maybe a faulty unit but I wouldn't buy another one...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

$15 looks like a bargan - Amazon has them for $33. At the price you can get them for, I would buy two just to give them a fair shot.

I have been using that thermometer for a few months. it seems to work well. the programming of a target temp is clunky and when the unit goes into power-saver mode you lose the programmed temp. Both the unit and the remote beep (the remote will beep, buzz or both) They give a warning beep at 20* before target, 10* before target, and at target. If you crossed one of those threshholds and then dropped a few degrees and then went back across the beeping drove me nuts. I have gone to just powering on the unit only when I am actually checking a temp. The remote had enough range to beep from 50' + through the walls of the house. For $15 I would grab two so I could monitor meat temp with one and grate temp with the other.

I 2nd this! all the major points i would have with it, plus mine doesnt like the cold, if its sitting outside when its chilly the buttons get stiff and dont work right, i have to rest it on the smoker to keep it warm.

Lots of little things that annoy me, but its the one of the most longest lasting ones ive had and still takes a good temp. for $15, why not?

Not to be captious Teleking, but, which ones would those be? I have no idea which thermometer products in a low to moderate price range are made in the USA, if you know of them, could you post them?

I could be wrong but I believe Ashcroft and Teltru are made in USA and moderately priced for those willing to spend $70 bucks on the Mav. 732 that they can’t even make waterproof…really
I’m positive that my super fast BLUE Thermapen is made in Utah.

I got my Teltru for $40 bucks and a Thermapen for $100 and pretty sure they will outlast 10 of those $15 made in China thingamagis. Does Made in USA mean anything anymore?

Granted I got a house full of chit from China but with all the complaints on the Mav’s people still line up to buy them. I just can’t figure it out.

YMMV

Thanks Teleking, I do want a Thermapen, but, it is too much for me to pay right now. I had a Tel-tru for my oven and it was great, the Taylor I had worked as well for 6 years, until I left it in someone else's BBQ unit, dangit. I do believe we should try to buy American where possible, I question whether or not many American products are better than foreign made products. But, supporting American workers does count. That being said, Taylor and Maverick products are cheaper than their American equivalents.

Back