Tools for the beginner

J

Jumpkix

Hello everyone!

My question for today is pretty simple. I am a college student ready to begin the art of the Barbecue. So what will I need to buy to get started? I am very partial to the Traeger grills ever since my friend made a Brisket for us and the taste difference was amazing! I literally have no prior knowledge, so if someone could generate a basic shopping list or any suggestions, I would really appreciate it :) Also want to know your thoughts on buying a Traeger. Would you recommend this or an alternative? Let me know your thoughts :) Thank you!!

Smoker (whatever you decide on or can afford), pit thermo(s), meat thermo(s), welding gloves, food handling gloves (come in handy), good knives if you don't have any already, charcoal, wood, mop or basting brush, foil pans are helpful, rubs, sauces, good tongs that can hold weight, I'm sure a million other things I'll let the others fill in...

Hello everyone!

My question for today is pretty simple. I am a college student ready to begin the art of the Barbecue. So what will I need to buy to get started? I am very partial to the Traeger grills ever since my friend made a Brisket for us and the taste difference was amazing! I literally have no prior knowledge, so if someone could generate a basic shopping list or any suggestions, I would really appreciate it :) Also want to know your thoughts on buying a Traeger. Would you recommend this or an alternative? Let me know your thoughts :) Thank you!!

A Traeger is a great grill but I use mine when I don't have the time to tend to a fire and enjoy spending the day cooking some bbq. At your age without the stress of wife, kids, career etc... why not get a stick burner and learn about fire management. Or build a UDS. A weber kettle is great for grilling and smoking if set up indirect. Just my thoughts. I love my Traeger and it produces great bbq, but I only use it when I don't have time to have some fun...

Cooler full of beer to add to bigabytes list and your good

I love my trager! I've been tempted to buy a weber smokey mountain but then I have backed off from that Cause it is so simple to use.

If you get a Traeger you don't need this, but, for most charcoal units, a charcoal starter is good to have, I like to have Bear claws as well. And snacks to go with the beer.

I second Bear Claws. I also heard they are available via the website in my signature.

Just sayin:icon_blush:

My advise to you is to get a few good thermometers. BBQ isn't rocket science but there is a correct way to do it. The biggest thing to BBQ is temperature control. You absolutely have to know the temp. of your cooker and the product your cooking at all times. All the sauce and dry rubs in the world will not help if your food is under or over cooked. The other important thing is to ask all the question you have too.

Tools for the broke college student...:becky:

UDS...http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436
Beer...
Freinds...
Meat...
Charcoal...
Smokewoods...
Rubs...
Sauces...
More Beer...

That oughta just about cover it...everything else you need to know is right here for the asking...:cool:

I just noticed you're in Portland...if you're up for a 3 hour road trip to Duvall...I can hook you up with a custom UDS for $50.00 bucks...you just have to help build it! I'll even show you how to use it...:thumb:

I Appreciate all the advice :) I would totally be up for a UDS other than I have no idea how to use one, and I'm not sure how different the result would be between that and delicious Traeger BBQ :) I will get going on that buying all those things.

My next stupid question is what foods do you recommend starting out to learn? My overall goal is to be able to make good food to impress company :) Any good recipes or further advice is greatly appreciated :)

First question is, Do you want to learn fire management or do you want "plug and play"?
Personally, I would start out with a unit that required learning to control fire and temps. Learn what needs to be done to make you smoker run on cruise control without electricity. I am not knocking the Treager just saying INMO, you are better off learning what it is about before going to the more automatic units.

[/QUOTE] I just noticed you're in Portland...if you're up for a 3 hour road trip to Duvall...I can hook you up with a custom UDS for $50.00 bucks...you just have to help build it! I'll even show you how to use it...:thumb:[/QUOTE]

Great deal for $50, I'd hit that up Mr. College Student! That's a great buy with a bonus tutoring session.

I'm fine with the Traeger because of those pellets making such a huge taste difference :) I just want to learn how to cook a really good meal, so I'm fine with the plug and play.

The best meat to learn with is pork butt/shoulder. It's a very forgiving piece of meat. With that being said, if your temps bounce around it will not adversly affect your end result.
For the use of a UDS and overall learning curve of BBQ, you have a priceless knowledge base right here with the Brethren. Most questions you're asking can be researched with the search engine towards the bottom of the page.

Also, a good pitmaster doesn't plug in his pit, press a few buttons and walk away. A good pitmaster knows fire management, how to correct pit issues without unplugginh from the wall outlet. A Weber Smokey Mountain is a great beginner unit as is the UDS.

I was real high on the idea of a Trager at first too, but just some things to think about...As a young guy like myself, one thing to consider when grill shopping is the COST of a Traeger, as compared to other options.

With the Traeger you're spending $400-$800 versus the $50 you'd spend for the UDS or even the $150 or so you'd spend on a Char-Griller (www.chargriller.com).

On top of that, learning to cook on the plug-in using pellets might not translate very well to other grills if you decide to make the switch later on...

Just some thoughts...

Cheap sharp knives if your on a budget - search Kiwi knifes.
Heavy Duty wide alumn. foil found easily at Sams Club and Costo.
Good salt.

So my question then, since everyone is leaning towards another pit, is that do the other pits compare to a Traeger in flavor? Those pellets seemed like they made quite a difference...

Personally, I think it does not matter what pit you are using, it you are good at running your pit and managing your cook, you will produce outstanding food. To me, key is burning wood for smoke and getting heat from clean fire. I think there are differences in all cookers, but, I would bet if someone cooked up a good meal for you on a Lang or Klose, a BGE and a WSM and even a kettle, if they can cook, the food will be great. A Traeger is a great pit, but, you might become a better 'quer using a less 'set and forget' cooker. I would also recommend that you do yourself a favor and go to a competition, talk honestly with folks in a humble manner, get to know folks in your area that can really cook and taste their food. I bet you will find that there is some great 'que coming off of a lot of pits.

I just noticed you're in Portland...if you're up for a 3 hour road trip to Duvall...I can hook you up with a custom UDS for $50.00 bucks...you just have to help build it! I'll even show you how to use it...:thumb:

Man, that is a great offer! I would jump on that in a heartbeat. JD really knows his stuff and is a great guy to boot. :thumb:

Back