MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Fried or Smoked?
Smoked Turkey 69 67.65%
Deep Fried Turkey 33 32.35%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #16
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Since you can't choose both, I'll go with fried especially after looking at Michael's thread. Gonna hafta get one of them Butterball fryers.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #17
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

Fried, baby, fried.

A fried turkey tastes like turkey meat. Sometimes a smoked turkey tastes liked smoked chicken. If you havent tried it, do it. Its easy, fast and you'll be surprised how moist and tasty the bird comes out. There is no oily taste.

The only draw backs are: 1) you have to be very careful about heating a few gallons of oil to 350 degrees. 2) the clean isnt hard but can be messy if you spill oil, 3) the price of peanut oil is about $10 a gallon - so you have to save/strain the oil and use it another time or 2 in order for the process to be economical - or fry birds for the entire neighborhood.

try it, you'll love it.

just my $0.02
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

This year my wife and I were invited to spend Thanksgiving with some friends. He was frying two 12 lb.birds. I e-mailed him the Frank Davis, N'Awlins fried turkey Recipe the night before. He was all for it. He said he injected the birds with Creole Butter Sauce that day so they can marinate all night. The next day we brought a couple of homemade desserts,a pumpkin bread pudding, w/ a bourbon sauce, and a Kentucky walnut pie.
We fried off 2lbs. of bacon till crisp to flavor the oil. When the oil came back up to temp. he lowered the first in. We snacked on bacon while it fried. yumm..When done, he brought the bird in, and imeadiately began to whittle away with the electric knife! No rest! No picture. We did taste it. It was tender, moist, and favorful as usual. The skin had a nice bacon flavor to it, although not as strong as I had expected but still noticeable. Next time maybe 3 lbs.. We lower the 2nd bird into the oil and we snacked on turkey & bacon. I had my camera ready when it came out of the oil. I did get a few pictures. I also got picture of the table setting but no full plates. Please ignore the date on the pictures , I changed batteries last month but forgot to reset the date. So here are my pics of Thanksgiving Day feast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0577.jpg (51.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0578.jpg (81.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0579.jpg (84.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0573.jpg (69.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0581.jpg (63.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0583.jpg (57.7 KB, 66 views)
nolaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #19
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Everyone was worried about me smoking the turkey this year instead of deep frying like I have done probably the last 4-5 years. I told em not to worry. I followed Dr BBQs idea on the creole butter and creole seasoning. Smoked it in the WSM with apple/cherry chip mix for about 5 hours or so. Basted em with butter/mixed with creole seasoning. Man he came out pretty, and tasted even better. Everyone loved that turkey. Said it was the best yet.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #20
Danny
Got Wood.

Hey Wayne,
I vote SMO-FRIED. If you guys will go to my old web-page (www.dannysbbq.com), then to "the restaurant" down lower on the page, you'll see pics. of a smoked and smo-fried turkey, plus which one won out for best flavor. If you want to do a smo-fried turkey the right way, put it in the smoker cold, smoke it with good smoke till around 140-150 degrees internally, take it out, let it rest for 15-20 minutes, then fry it to 185 degrees in the thigh. It'll knock your socks off and have a great smoked -fried flavor at the same time. I personally guarantee it.

Danny
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #21
Infamous Dave
Got Wood.

Danny's method sounds awesome but since I have never smoked a turkey but have fried many, I had to choose deep fried.
Infamous Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #22
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Smoked turkey, looks awesome. Something about brining and than frying doesn't seem like it would go together to well. Water and OIL?

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #23
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Smoked turkey, looks awesome. Something about brining and than frying doesn't seem like it would go together to well. Water and OIL?
Yeah, you need to dry it well. I patted it dry then set it up in front of a fan in a cool place for 30 minutes or so.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #24
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

i've done them both ways and liked the smoked bird better. also thought that when serving cold as left-overs the fryed turkey wasn't nearly as good as the smoked

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #25
chasmosis
Knows what a fatty is.

Fried Turkeys the last couple years. Smoked my 1st Turkey this year. I actually spatchcocked it. I'm not a big turkey fan but this one turned out great, very moist.

I just used my usual rub (Dr. BBQ's big time rub) right before putting it on so I thought the breast was a little bland. Next time for sure gonna brine it or do something to get some more flavor, but couldn't have been happier with the way this one turned out.
chasmosis is offline   Reply With Quote