• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Paprika

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have been going back and forth with my comp rub with and without paprika. I am going to have to say, it is a waste unless you are looking to stretch your rub. From my tests, all it does is down play or over take the other seasonings.

From now on, I will no longer use paprika in my comp rubs.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I stopped using paprika in my rubs a couple years ago, I don't think it can hold up to the longer cooking times needed for cuts like pork shoulder. I do like the shiny red color it sometimes lends to the bark though.

To be fair, the quality of the paprika I was using was not that great.

It's gonna change the color of your meat when done, as long as your okay with that....may not look quite the same in a turn in box.

I actually like the color a lot more without. I get a really nice bright red with no real dark spots. It has been working for me. As far as my turn ins go, they suck anyway!!!!!!:)

While I'm sure there are many people who do not use paprika in their rubs, we use it in ours and I believe it does adds a dimension a flavor that I find appealing. It is important to note that most of paprika's flavor and aromas are not released until it is heated. Further, there are many different types of paprika (i.e. sweet, spicy, smoked), mostly from Spain and Hungary, and there different levels of quality. I find that the higher the quality the more flavors and aromas are present in the spice. Finally, freshness is key--after about six months of shelf-life paprika will begin to color and flavor. This is helped by storing the spice in a dark, air-tight container a exposure to light can also degrade the spice, just like beer.

I do believe however, that a great rub can be created without the use of paprika, it will just have a different flavor and aroma profile, and different is good in my opinion.

We've done well with paprika, and we've done well without paprika. It's another one of those "go figure" things.
I do think that if used, a better-quality paprika will get the job done with a smaller quantity, making it easier to balance the rub's flavors.

I have tried them all - smoked, sweet, spicy, hungarian and spanish. There are better ones then others but I am going to try to go without and see what happens. If I have times this weekend, I will do some ribs, with and without paprika.

I've cut back on the amount that I use but not cut it out for two reasons... The first is by cutting back it's not taking over the other flavors in the rub as much as it used to. Second I still like the color that it does give. It's a fine line.

The Tri-Level Rub Technique was a direct result of my Bewilderment over Tina Turner. I Use 8 parts in my Glitter....But the tri-level process is Like Ike slapping Tina into a wall (the meat).

Translation

The Tri-Level Rub Technique was a direct result of my Bewilderment over Tammy Wynette. I Use 8 parts in my sawdust....But the tri-level process is Like George Jones slapping Tammy into the wall (the meat).

Translation

The Tri-Level Rub Technique was a direct result of my Bewilderment over Lionel Richard. I Use 8 parts in my Glitter....But the tri-level process is Like his wife slapping Lionel into a wall (the meat).

The Tri-Level gets around all the restrictions of the laws of rub ratio.

the tri-level rub technique was a direct result of my bewilderment over tina turner. I use 8 parts in my glitter....but the tri-level process is like ike slapping tina into a wall (the meat).

Translation

the tri-level rub technique was a direct result of my bewilderment over tammy wynette. I use 8 parts in my sawdust....but the tri-level process is like george jones slapping tammy into the wall (the meat).

Translation

the tri-level rub technique was a direct result of my bewilderment over lionel richard. I use 8 parts in my glitter....but the tri-level process is like his wife slapping lionel into a wall (the meat).

The tri-level gets around all the restrictions of the laws of rub ratio.

in other words??????

Shoot I must be using paprika wrong after reading this?

I use it to tell how much and how even my rub coating is, the flavor is not what I put it in for I use it for color.

Most have little to no flavor to me except the smoked versions in my experience anyway?

WS

Shoot I must be using paprika wrong after reading this?

I use it to tell how much and how even my rub coating is, the flavor is not what I put it in for I use it for color.

Most have little to no flavor to me except the smoked versions in my experience anyway?

WS

See my response above, paprika is actually one of the most heavily used spices the world over. Depending on the quality and if it is fresh and cooked it can have actually a strong aroma (it is an aromatic), even the sweet, hungarian Un-smoked varieties.

On the other hand it is also good to use just as you do, to see if the rub has evenly coated the meat.

I took it out of my rubs years ago. I use it in Potato salad though...

Willie B - Are you out there to answer this one ?

Here's a pic of when it went down (Aug 2006).. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back