MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
SinginBob
Full Fledged Farker

Wink Excelsior Springs, MO--BBQ on the River Fly-In

Starting the roll call for this one--who's in?

This is a new one for the Meatheads. Anyone have comments on last year's contest (aside from the rain)? Looking for info on setup of teams, water availability, etc.
UBC, WSM, Weber Kettle

Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them!
~Oliver Wendell Holmes
SinginBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

I did this one last year. It's pretty cool. All the cookers are spread out across the downtown streets of the city. They recently went through a downtown revitalization process, so there are some neat businesses and stuff to see. Turn in location is centrally located though - you won't be more than a block or two from the turn in.

Here is a shot down the street we were set up on...

Water is delivered via atv's with water tanks, so it's a little tedious at times - but they do their best to keep up.

Looking forward to seeing you there...we were set up next to you and Wayne in McClouth - stop by our spot if you get a chance.
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
SinginBob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal
I did this one last year. It's pretty cool. All the cookers are spread out across the downtown streets of the city. They recently went through a downtown revitalization process, so there are some neat businesses and stuff to see. Turn in location is centrally located though - you won't be more than a block or two from the turn in.

Here is a shot down the street we were set up on...

Water is delivered via atv's with water tanks, so it's a little tedious at times - but they do their best to keep up.

Looking forward to seeing you there...we were set up next to you and Wayne in McClouth - stop by our spot if you get a chance.
Good info, Neal, thanks! Looks like most spots are on the street? Any grass locations?

We'll definitely find you and have a few beers together!
UBC, WSM, Weber Kettle

~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Old 08-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

Not as far as I know...I think they are all on the street.
You could try and e-mail the organizers...here is Sheryl's e-mail: [email protected] and ask about a spot on the grass.

They are at 41 teams last I heard. They are trying for 60 (they had 50 last year).
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Reminds me alot of the way Frisco CO does theirs.... same shot minus the mountain backdrop :)

Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
SinginBob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo
Reminds me alot of the way Frisco CO does theirs.... same shot minus the mountain backdrop :)
I gotta believe the weather in Frisco is a little better also!
UBC, WSM, Weber Kettle

~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Old 08-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
Bubba
Full Fledged Farker

We had a great time had our best finish 2nd in brisket this year and perhaps the worst when we were DQ on our chicken for a FARKING TOOTHPICK. Jeff and me both missed it, i knew when we saw the KCBS rep packing the turn in box what was going on. It could have cost us a top 10 finish. Congrats to the other Brethern teams

Toothpick Bubba
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Damn Bubba, you guys really DID learn a lot from Team Q!

Seriously, congrats on the brisket! That's outstanding! You and Jeff and making a TON of progress in your first season! You know, if you had a video of you guys at Warsaw and you played it now, you'd chit! Y'all know what your doing and what judges seem to want and you're scoring some good results! Keep up the good work! See ya out there soon I hope! I didn't know you were cooking Excelsior...

Bob, I hear you guys did pretty good in ribs again... congrats!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Thanks to everyone for the hospitality on Friday evening.... We had blast just hanging out at the "Fly-in". We'll be cooking it next year - What a fun contest. Congrats on the calls everyone.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #10
Bubba
Full Fledged Farker

Jeff it was a last minute thing we had fun except for the toothpick......lol....
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote