MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Selling hams in GA

Question for any GA caterers or others in the know. I smoked 12 hams yesterday to give out as gifts. Now I have people lining up to order them - not my intention, but a nice compliment.

Any idea what I'd have to do re: health dept to be able to sell hams in GA? I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth the trouble, and I would've had to start the process months ago.

Appreciate any help.
JJ
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

I am not personally familiar with Georgia licensing. This might be a good place to start.

http://www.foodserviceresource.com/State/GA/GA.htm

Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, Bizz!

Old 12-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

FWIW, I spoke with the meat inspector at the Ga Dept of Agric. he said I'd have to have a licensed meat plant to package and sell the hams. Or an open mobile unit. Or I could co-share an approved facility. Or I could partner with a local retail store/grocery that has a meat license.

In all cases, I'd have to cook at the facility, indoors. So I couldn't use my smoker, unless I move it inside a facility. Also, he said I'm in violation even if I give the hams out as gifts! Apparently, meat inspection is tough in GA.

Discouraging.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

sheeze

I guess that means grandma is against the law when she gives out her chocolate cookies to the kids lol
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Yep, this is the over reaching nanny state that we have these days. The sad fact is that it has become so cumbersome and expensive to operate within the rules of the food industry that many just can't afford to. I have no actual proof to back up my belief, other than common sense and educated observations, but I believe that this has occurred due to lobbying by the large food producers in the industry and the desire of some people to control things even without any true benefit.

But there I go outing myself as a true Libertarian.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle JJ View Post
FWIW, I spoke with the meat inspector at the Ga Dept of Agric. he said I'd have to have a licensed meat plant to package and sell the hams. Or an open mobile unit. Or I could co-share an approved facility. Or I could partner with a local retail store/grocery that has a meat license.

In all cases, I'd have to cook at the facility, indoors. So I couldn't use my smoker, unless I move it inside a facility. Also, he said I'm in violation even if I give the hams out as gifts! Apparently, meat inspection is tough in GA.

Discouraging.
It's not just GA. That is the way it is in KS as well. Most states follow the Federal guidelines to construct their regs. The Feds have it pretty locked down to where you have to have specific, or multiple, licenses to operate. And in order to be in compliance with these licenses you need specific physical plant, equipment and procedural systems in place. (i.e. more and more capital investment and operating costs)

This is why there are increasing numbers of people taking more risk and operating "under the table" so to speak. We have some folks in our area that are very mobile so that they are hard for the inspectors to find. Too bad it has come to that but I understand their point of view.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
sheeze

I guess that means grandma is against the law when she gives out her chocolate cookies to the kids lol

cookies are usually not under the same rules as cooked meats.
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
cookies are usually not under the same rules as cooked meats.
I know

it was an attempt at humor
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizznessman View Post
Yep, this is the over reaching nanny state that we have these days. The sad fact is that it has become so cumbersome and expensive to operate within the rules of the food industry that many just can't afford to. I have no actual proof to back up my belief, other than common sense and educated observations, but I believe that this has occurred due to lobbying by the large food producers in the industry and the desire of some people to control things even without any true benefit.

But there I go outing myself as a true Libertarian.
I agree completely - another barrier to entry & another restriction of American freedom. That said, I understand having regulations in place to insure people aren't being put at risk by bad food. I just think it has become a bit extreme!

Old 12-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Bearadise
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
sheeze

<Gruff Cop Voice> "Drop the 'sugar-cookie' act lady! You and those other renegade cooks like yourself, make me sick!"
_

Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle JJ View Post
FWIW, Also, he said I'm in violation even if I give the hams out as gifts! Apparently, meat inspection is tough in GA.

Discouraging.

This just doesn't make sense. So when my mom bakes two ham's in the oven and gives one to my aunt for her family's Christmas she would be in violation of Georgia Health Code????
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynfulsmokersbbq View Post
This just doesn't make sense. So when my mom bakes two ham's in the oven and gives one to my aunt for her family's Christmas she would be in violation of Georgia Health Code????
It all depends on how the State Health Codes, in each respective state, are written. Most State codes are written for businesses selling/giving food to the general public. Here in KS the scenario you present would not be governed by the KS Food Code since it is between two individuals. But give them time and I guarantee you that the powers that be will attempt to regulate that as well.

Now if my KS "business" were to want to cook it's own hams and give them as gifts to it's employees then guess what. It is a business giving away prepared potentially hazardous food to the public. KS State code now applies.