MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
bkyrdbbq503
Found some matches.

Default Whole Chicken Up to Temp?

First question on here so be gentle...for father's day I did 2 whole chickens on my 18.5 WSM and even after 4 hours at 225 they would not get all the way up to temp (I was shooting for 165). Ended up pulling them off and finishing on the grill quickly, everything was delicious but I'm curious if others have had a similar problem? Should I have been more patient or been running at a higher temp?

I also had 4 racks of ribs in there, is there any issue with over crowding or other tips to pull off that much food? Again everything tasted great but didn't come together timing wise like I had planned. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Well as far as overcrowding, I can't speak to that as I've never used a WSM. But as to the chickens, I think you'll find most folks on here cook them at 325-375 as the preferred temp, but had you waited long enough, yours probably would have come up to an IT of 165.

KC

Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I cook them around 275 or so

look up spatchcocking here. They will cook more even and quicker if you spatchcock them, all that involves is cutting the back bone out and spreading them open, out on the grill

they are easier to cut and serve that way too
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

155f and rest, great eating!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
bkyrdbbq503
Found some matches.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into spatchcocking for the next round. I have heard that higher temps can lead to a bit more crisp on the skin so I'll give that a shot as well. Appreciate the helP!

Old 06-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I never cook chicken below 325 cooking chicken at 225 turns the skin into a wet suit.I like bite trough skin s cook hotter If ribs are on the menus as well they get cooked at 325 too until they pass the bend test. no harm in it they just cook quicker.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

325* is the ticket
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyrdbbq503 View Post
First question on here so be gentle...for father's day I did 2 whole chickens on my 18.5 WSM and even after 4 hours at 225 they would not get all the way up to temp (I was shooting for 165). Ended up pulling them off and finishing on the grill quickly, everything was delicious but I'm curious if others have had a similar problem? Should I have been more patient or been running at a higher temp?

I also had 4 racks of ribs in there, is there any issue with over crowding or other tips to pull off that much food? Again everything tasted great but didn't come together timing wise like I had planned. Thanks!
You actually ended up doing by accident what I do purposely! I smoke half chickens at 225 or so until they hit an internal of about 115, I reverse sear them over direct heat until they reach about 140 which gets crispy skin and then I sauce them over indirect heat and let the sauce bake on until the chicken hits 165. I find that brining the bird ahead of time makes a difference in not only juiciness and flavor but also helping the skin to crisp up during the searing phase. The end result is chicken with a good smoke flavor, yet slightly charred and crispy. Good stuff!!!