MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

A bit farther for you, but I saw a very pretty one near UT last fall (in a mobile food trailer) - it was built by a builder just north of Austin. Here is their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/RileySmokers. I know nothing else about them or the pit. Building a UDS is rather easy, and honestly unless you are messing with the design does not take long to actually do - without painting or shopping, probably less than 1hr. If you start with an open drum with lid - you need to drill 7 holes (3 to hold your grid, 3 for air, 1 for a thermometer). You need to get a piece of expanded mesh, bend in round, and hog ring it together (with a grate inside of it). Screw in your grid holders, cut them to length (change out the nut to an acorn if you want it pretty) and your close nipples (conduit nuts inside and outside), screw the plugs and valve on the nipples, screw in a nipple into the lid for a smokestack and your done.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
socalnewb
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm In Ontario California anyone want to help me i got the drum already!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Build it yourself, you will appreciate it that much more. Besides, they are so easy to modify if you see a better idea. Like others have said, half the fun of a UDS is building it with your own two hands.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I never thought I would hear myself say this "Buy a PIT BARREL COOKER" they are fool proof and well constructed, that was ruff I need a beer.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Many have succeeded using this thread.
If a Redneck wanted to build a UDS
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #21
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

+1 for that original redneck uds thread. May your lump stay dry.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #22
Supes
Got Wood.

I'm a namby pamby computer programmer and I managed to build one.

I used this video as the basis...

For a novice, the tricky part will be the large holes at the bottom and the charcoal basket.

If you buy a stepped drill bit, the large holes will be easy to drill. As for the charcoal basket, I'm using an old washing machine drum so no welding/construction needed.
Supes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #23
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Many have succeeded using this thread.
If a Redneck wanted to build a UDS
Funniest part of that is when someone says "you are the only redneck I know with a welder". Every redneck I know has a welder of some ilk.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

+1 for If a Redneck wanted to build a UDS!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #25
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalnewb View Post
I'm In Ontario California anyone want to help me i got the drum already!
I was all set to help, until I saw profanity in your sig......

Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #26
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I am an avid DIYer, and I built my UDS in a day. It took me a couple trips to Menards and one trip to Harbor Freight (yes, it was a LONG day). After a few beers and some dirty hands, I got it done and couldn't be happier with it. Its the talk of the party when we have people over, and I am always proud to say I built it with my own two hands.

the redneck UDS thread was a huge help for me, and I read the mother of all UDS threads, too. All of your questions will be answered.

I say do it, have fun with it, and who cares if it is ugly - its supposed to be! It'll still cook like a champ if you follow the directions.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #27
Mason Dixon Bowhunta
is one Smokin' Farker

Another vote for building it yourself. It's not as hard as it looks and it is very satisfying cooking awesome BBQ in something you made.

Some suggestions for your first build:

Don't get fancy with your air intakes at the bottom of the barrel. Just drill the holes and use flexible magnets to control the air flow.

Find a used 22.5" Weber and use the lid for your drum. Your local scrap yard should have a good supply of 55 gal drums for sale with the tops cut out. Just take the Weber lid with you and test fit it on several drums to see which one fits the best.

Good luck and have fun!
[I]Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created[/I] ~ Esther 4:14
Mason Dixon Bowhunta is offline   Reply With Quote