Weber Paint

el_matt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just scored a wood handled SJS. Haven't taken delivery yet, my buddy is bringing it by tonight. Previous owners painted the lid white, but left the base black. Does anyone know if JASCO brand, or similar paint remover will damage Weber paint? I'd really like to return this girl back to her original beauty, I just don't want to destroy the original paint.

Matt

the original weber coating is porcelain. purty tough stuff so a light paint remover should do fine. maybe find a test spot thats not visible just to make sure.

Just scored a wood handled SJS. Haven't taken delivery yet, my buddy is bringing it by tonight. Previous owners painted the lid white, but left the base black. Does anyone know if JASCO brand, or similar paint remover will damage Weber paint? I'd really like to return this girl back to her original beauty, I just don't want to destroy the original paint.

Matt

Weber does not "paint" their kettles. It is a porcelain enamel finish.

You CAN strip the paint without removing the factory finish. You may dull it, but you can polish that out. It is very durable.

As always, whatever you use, try it on a small area first, to make sure it is okay. But, from my experience, removing paint from an old Weber is not that hard. the factory finish really is very tough.

CD

Thanks for the replies. I took delivery yesterday. It's a "N" date code, and she is in great condition. The dust on the lid, in the photo, made it look like it was painted white. All I have to do is apply a little grease, and she'll be as good as new.

My Grandson saw it, and excitedly proclaimed, "Look grandpa, a teeny tiny cooker!!" He then claimed it as his, and well, we all know that I am no longer the owner of a 1991 SJS!

Matt

Nice score!!! i've got a SJG with a "P" date code from 1993 i picked up off of CL. Looks like yours is even older.

Mine needs to be cleaned up but here it is:

4uvupezu.jpg

She looks nice, I like the handle.

Yeah, I scored in a big way. Out of the blue, my buddy sent me a picture, asking if I wanted it. His brother didn't want it anymore, and was just gonna throw her away! I didn't even hesitat. Next thing I know, he texts back and says he'll bring it over in a day or two.

I hesitate to put her in my signature, being that my grandson(greatest grandson in the history of grandsons)called dibs as soon as he saw it.

Matt

Back