• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

turkey soup

clydegator

Got Wood.
Reaction score
made some turkey broth and froz it and some of the smoked meat time to make soup. not sure what to add to it thinking some vegies and egg noodles. any ideas thanks new guy here Marty

I do onions, carrots, celery, maybe a touch of garlic, broth, turkey and broad noodles. If you have any Simply Marvelous Season All, that puts it over the top for me. I like eating the soup more than I do the turkey the first time around.

DSCF0116-001.jpg

This is well worth the trouble.

After Thanksgiving Creamy Turkey and Rice Soup
Make this soup when you have some time to spend in the kitchen it takes a while to make but the results are wonderful!…
The turkey carcass may be cooked a day ahead refrigerated please see instructions, make certain to leave all the leftover meat on the carcass you will remove it after cooking the broth and chop to use in the soup
Servings 4-quarts/16 cups (approx)
Ingredients:
1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12-15 pound turkey, do not remove any excess meat on the turkey carcass)
1 cup butter, cubed (I would recommend not to reduce the amount of butter)
3 medium onions, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
1 to 2 large celery ribs, diced
4 large garlic cloves, minced (garlic lovers can use more I always do!)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
2 cups light cream (such as half and half)
1 cup uncooked white rice (rinsed over well with cold water)
seasoned salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste (or to taste, or can use white salt)
Instructions:—————————————-
Place the turkey carcass in a large pot, then cover with water filling at least 2-inches over the carcass; slowly bring to a boil.
Reduce heat then cover and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours (can simmer more if desired).
At this point you may cool the broth and refrigerate the pot until ready to continue with the recipe (do not remove the turkey carcass from the pot, it will add even more flavor to the broth if left in overnight — remove from fridge heat the pot of broth before continuing with the recipe)
Using long tongs carefully remove the carcass to a bowl and allow to sit until cool enough to handle.
Set aside about 3 quarts of the broth, a little more won’t hurt (you may want to stain the broth
When the turkey is cool enough to handle remove all the meat then chop into bite size pieces.
In the same pot or use another pot or a Dutch (large enough to hold the soup) heat butter over medium heat.
Add in onions, carrots and celery; cook stirring until tender (about 10-12 minutes).
Add in garlic; cook for 2 minutes.
Reduce heat to low then add in flour and chicken bouillon; cook stirring for 1 minute.
Gradually add in 1 quart (4 cups) broth; bring to a simmer stirring or whisking until smooth and thickened (about 2 minutes).
Add in the light cream, rice, remaining 2 quarts of turkey broth and the reserved chopped turkey meat; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer about 45 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper about halfway through cooking time

I only make turkey so that I can have turkey soup later. It is one of my top ten things to eat.... or close to it.

First off, I smoke my turkey on my Egg. The taste of smoked turkey in soup is unbelievable. After carving most the meat off I boil the carcass in Chicken stock and water until I can get the bones and crap out. I also add 1tsp of Oregano and a couple bay leaves. Then I add 1 finely diced onion, 2 minced garlic, 2-3 finely chopped celery stalks, 1-2 chopped carrots and cook till the carrots are very tender.
I add water or chicken stock to make it look abour right and let it cook for 15 minutes more. Then I take it off and let it cool and freeze what ever in portions.

I don't add pasta until I am ready to reheat and eat. I don't like mushy pasta. Cooked rice is ok before freezing though. I add salt and pepper at the end to taste.

X 2 what Marty does, except I add 1/2 cup barley, 1/4 cup of split peas and 1/2cup of rice to the mixture. The barley has to simmer for at least 2-3 hrs before it is ready. I add the split peas at the same time and the rice usually goes in 30 mins. before we are ready to eat. Having it for din din tonite.

no idea how the wife cooks it but we had turkey soup for three days in a row and i was bummed when we ran out. just love turkey.

Back