New Year's First Brisket

cgwaite

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Decided to start the new year off right by doing my first brisket. I've avoided it for some time, worrying that I couldn't cook it properly. But with a lot of research here on the BBQ-Brethren site, I finally decided to give it a try.

Following are the results:

1) First, I picked up two flats from Sam's Club. For some reason this was all they had yesterday:

2012-01-01-Brisket-002.JPG

2012-01-01-Brisket-003.JPG

2) Rubbed the first one with Plowboy's Bovine Bold:

2012-01-01-Brisket-004.JPG

3) The second one with Plowboy's Yardbird:

2012-01-01-Brisket-005.JPG

4) Got the WSM set for 265-325 degrees, for a hot and fast cook. After about 3 hours I flipped each brisket and wrapped in foil. After another 2.5 hours I pulled them and let them rest for about 30 minutes. Here is the Yardbird one:

2012-01-01-Brisket-006.JPG

5) Here is the Bovine Bold:

2012-01-01-Brisket-007.JPG

6) Here is the Yardbird sliced:

2012-01-01-Brisket-008.JPG

7) Here is the Bovine Bold sliced:

2012-01-01-Brisket-009.JPG

All in all, they both came out very good. I should have trimmed the fat a little better, but both flats were moist and tasty. To be honest I couldn't tell much difference between the flavors of the Yardbird and Bovine Bold. Both were tasty. Thanks to Pliowboy for the excellent rubs and all the advice from the Brethren that made this cook a successful one.

:thumb:

looks like you nailed it
What flavor of rub diff you like the best

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

looks like you nailed it
What flavor of rub diff you like the best

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

To be honest, I liked them both. I didn't notice much flavor difference.

nice work! looks great for a first time! :thumb:

I agree on the fat cap, I usually try to get it thinned out to about 1/4" in most spots

Looks like some good results. I tired my first brisket yesterday. How was yours for tenderness? I didn't get it tender enough, but they can't all be roses!

congrats looks like your first briskets were a huge success. I love the color and the bark on them, great work.

Looks like some good results. I tired my first brisket yesterday. How was yours for tenderness? I didn't get it tender enough, but they can't all be roses!

I was worried about it drying out, but both were tender and juicy. That is probably due to my using foil for the last half of the cook.

two flats from Sam's Club. For some reason this was all they had yesterday
My Sam's told me that they never carry packers. Flats only. :sad: I guess there's no demand in my area.

Back