MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Price

I got the butts yesterday for the BBQ at the County Fair. Packing house price from Smithfields was $1.37. So, as a guide line this is what the big boys are paying.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

RD by me (NY) - PORK BONE IN BUTTS $1.59
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Yep. Blame it on the dang ethanol increasing the corn demand and high fuel costs, I guess.

I bought my last two butts on sale for $1.48, and the same store would put 'em on sale last summer all the time for $1.28, and even sometimes $.98 a lb. Sam's sells two at a time for the fantastic price of $1.59 lb, if I recall, at least .20 higher than last year.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I think I paid $1.89 last time I bought butts individually. Case price at the local BJ's is $1.62 last I bought them by the case a couple weeks ago.
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Whitfield
Knows what a fatty is.

I wish I could sell butts for less than $2. Wholesale pricing won't let me do it. I'd be out of business if I tried.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
btcg
Babbling Farker

On a side note... I bought 2 racks of St Louis ribs yesterday @ Whole Foods: $5.99 a lb. I nearly choked when I saw the price: $32

Got even though. As the butcher there was weighing them, I said:

"oh... can you remove the membrane for me?"

Wish I had a camera to capture his expression.

Him: "I'll try."

Me: "C'Mon dude, you're a pro. You can do it."

Took him a good 5-7 minutes. Nice to know that some butchers are no better than we are at removing that foul tissue.

The butts were $4.99 a lb there. Think I'll stick with Costco from now on.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Whitfield
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
On a side note... I bought 2 racks of St Louis ribs yesterday @ Whole Foods: $5.99 a lb. I nearly choked when I saw the price: $32

Got even though. As the butcher there was weighing them, I said:

"oh... can you remove the membrane for me?"

Wish I had a camera to capture his expression.

Him: "I'll try."

Me: "C'Mon dude, you're a pro. You can do it."

Took him a good 5-7 minutes. Nice to know that some butchers are no better than we are at removing that foul tissue.

The butts were $4.99 a lb there. Think I'll stick with Costco from now on.
Any butcher worth his salt should ask if you want it removed. I volunteer to remove the membrane from every rack of ribs that leaves my store. VERY few folks don't take me up on that. As a result, I have gotten pretty quick at ripping those suckers off.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
Any butcher worth his salt should ask if you want it removed. I volunteer to remove the membrane from every rack of ribs that leaves my store. VERY few folks don't take me up on that. As a result, I have gotten pretty quick at ripping those suckers off.
If you ever decide to open a store in Maryland, I'll be your customer. I totally agree with you.

I understood, but the guy was less than friendly when he was done. Not good for business, either. Costco from now on. No more impulse buys.

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
jalon
On the road to being a farker

Service like yours Whitfield, I'd be back 2-3x a week. Glad to hear customer service is alive and kicking!

Jalon
jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

The grocery store here in town has butts for $2.19 a pound.

I can get em at Sam's for $1.79 but if I get em by the case they are $1.59.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Bone in butts at my local store today are $2.49/lb. Last year I could get them closer to $1.50.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Butts in my local stores go from anywhere between $1.89/lb and $2.49/lb unless they are on sale. I have bought Smithfields butts on sale before as low as .99/lb but more commonly at $1.29/lb...
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
If you ever decide to open a store in Maryland, I'll be your customer. I totally agree with you.

I understood, but the guy was less than friendly when he was done. Not good for business, either. Costco from now on. No more impulse buys.
I'd have told him, and the manager that I'd never shop there again, and why. Poor customer service is the quickest way to lose my business. I still won't set foot in a Lowe's, and it's been 5 years since my wife and I were treated poorly.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
Funky D
On the road to being a farker

Kroger last week had butts for .97 a pound. We wound up buying 9, 12# butts. (Garage deep freezer FTW!)

That wasn't the interesting buy though... my dad in Pearland told us the HEB near him had beautiful thick cut bacon for $1.50 a pound. That's a great deal in my book. I hadn't seen prices that low in ages. I had him pick up 15# for me, and then when I went to pick them up, we decided to stop in for a little more.

Debbie's and my jaws both hit the floor when we noticed the packages were (for some reason) ringing up for $1 each. 30 more it was!

The humorous part was driving home, she looked over and me and said "Baby, if you wanted to get 100 pounds of bacon, before they catch the mistake... I wouldn't stop you. It'll keep in the freezer!".

That phrase alone made me feel happier about having her, than a trunk full of bacon.

Our problem now is, the freezer is just about full, and we have a competition coming up in a few weeks. If ribs go on sale, they are gonna have to wait in the indoor freezer. :(
Funky D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Bone in butts @ Rd was 1.67 if you got more than 50lbs then it was more like 1.47/pound.

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote