Are the Thermapens really that good?

I love my Thermapen and use it all the time.

Reasons why I think it is better than the cheaper ones, the reading is extremely fast. I can insert the probe slowly into the meat and see the temperature profile of the meat as it goes in. It works great on this pieces of meat where other thermometers do not.

I always use it to tell when meat I am cooking is done. Works great when I warm up stuff in the microwave too to ensure things are warm to the middle.

This is one item I would definitely purchase again if I could go back and do it all over again.

I use mine professionally every day. I have two. The older red model is used by the staff and I have a yellow splash proof for myself. The staff does not like it when their T'pen gets misplaced. Then they have to use an analog instant read. Talk about slow. I do wish the would backlight them. If enough of us complain maybe we can get that on the the next generation. Another problem I have noticed is that the screen is hard to read with polarized sunglasses.

I have tested most of them and can clearly tell you what color is fastest. Hands down its the жыщйюфᎿᏃ

If I was cooking for others, or running a kitchen, I would own a few of them. Nothing better than the speed and accuracy. If you have to stop and think, you will skip the temperature and bad things can happen.

I don't own one for home, but, when I cook with them, I really do like them a lot. The probe is also a good brisket tester. I do steaks by feel, but, after turning in semi-cooked chicken once, I temp any chicken I am feeding other people with.

Hopefully I'll have one by the next time I fire up the grill. :)

Until then I wait patiently.

59762_505816729473583_1630261998_n.jpg

Haven't made up my mind yet.
Bought my first in 2006.
I have 2.
Mrs Kapn has 1.
We have one spare--"just in case" :grin:

I'll let you know what we decide some day :redface:

TIM

I'd have one if it wasn't for the price that's for sure! My college budget just won't allow me to get one right now. One day though, one day..... :tongue:

From everything I've read they make grilling and q'ing a lot more enjoyable. If I enjoy it anymore than I already do though I may explode. LOL.

Well.....it shouldn't be too much longer.

FedEx tracking is saying next Tuesday.

I definitely enjoy my thermapen. Steaks and burgers I normally temp by feel. What I love it for is poultry. It is nice and fast. I also use it for probe testing on items like brisket, boneless pork butts, etc.

My roommate uses it to temp his homebrew beer as well as making sure his kegarator still maintains temps. He also uses it to temp steaks/burgers whenever he cooks.

The durability is there. I have left mine outside overnight a few times after a few too many road sodas. I woke up the next morning with the morning dew on it and it worked flawlessly.

And of course the other colors don't perform anywhere close to the World's Fastest Blue Thermapen.

Good purchas! I use mine all the time. Great for poltry, beef, pork. When was the last time you overcooked chicken breast or a whole chicken? This will never happen again with your thermapen. Nothing worse then a dry chicken breast. Get the weber app on your phone if possable. It will give you the correct temps for all meat at the push of a button. My wife discovered my new toy and now she wants her own.

I love my Thermapen, but I did find an awesome alternative at restaurant depot that registers in the same amount of time for around $25. So there are definitely alternatives.

Back