MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #46
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

My favorite California "story" was the one where the lawmakers wanted to ban automobiles that were black, or dark in color because they were more harmful to the environment. hahaha
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #47
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

On the other side of the coin, there's folks in CA who believe some really ridiculous chit about the rest of the country as well, esp. the South. I'm guessing that sort of thing goes on all over the world like that.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #48
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I was kidding about that. I actually live with very little fear of anything. I am greatly frustrated by my local and state government at times, and I find the politicians maddening at times. Largely, I love living here and think most of the country really does not understand this state very well.

We have never gotten close to a ban on burning wood for cooking, indoors or outdoors. And I think it would surprise most of you to find that our state has had as many Republican leaders and Democratic leaders during my lifetime. MY biggest issue is that due to it's size, the cost of elections and campaigns being what they are, big business has far too much influence on the state and the manner in which much of how the state is run ends up being to their advantage.

For cooking...but the state regulates/bans fires in home fire places in some areas...right?

Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #49
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
My favorite California "story" was the one where the lawmakers wanted to ban automobiles that were black, or dark in color because they were more harmful to the environment. hahaha
I liked the bill to mandate new construction in CA had to conform to Feng Shui principles. Or the time the guy (now Obama's energy secretary) wanted to paint all of the roofs in CA white to reflect sun back into space...therefore fighting global warming...

Old 02-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #50
landarc

Yes, that is true, But, it is nowhere near as random as people want to make it out to be. There is a measure air particulate value that has been established, and it is based on people with impaired breathing (largely asthmatics). Once the barrier has been reached, areas that have show particular tendencies to trap the smoke are banned from the use of the wood burning fireplaces. While it sounds bad, it makes a lot of sense. A lot of these areas are in bowls and valleys, that trap the bad air in weather inversions, the air will become sour and so badly polluted that it affects breathing. We also have so many cars and commuters, who must drive, the limitations on wood stove use ended up being the easiest way to control the issue.

In my lifetime, I have to say that areas that once represented the worst pollution, and I mean, red air, you could see the red air as you looked down the block, no longer have the problem. I hear many folks who are under 40, and who have no personal reference complain about Spare the Air days, but, if you grew up in the Los Angeles of the 1960's and early 1970's, or the Sacramento and San Jose areas, or the areas around the interior valleys, you know how much better the air is now. And so a few people who thought they could save money by burning their garbage can't now, too bad. BTW, a lot of the people that whine about the burning bans, were not burning wood, they were burning garbage and free fuel as they called it.

Many of these places do still allow pellet stoves, as long as they are purely pellet burning, but, that is not what people largely want to use.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #51
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
I liked the bill to mandate new construction in CA had to conform to Feng Shui principles. Or the time the guy (now Obama's energy secretary) wanted to paint all of the roofs in CA white to reflect sun back into space...therefore fighting global warming...
Well, there is no bill requiring Feng Shui that I know of. Of course, I am just a landscape architect who has worked on hundreds of building projects over the last 30 years. I will say, if you build an office building in CA and do not consider Feng Shui, you are going to lose half the real estate market.

As for white roofs, yes, almost all of our commercial and public roofs are now white or light gray, it is hard to argue with lowering your cooling costs by as much as 60% by using reflective roofing. Further, the white elastomeric roofing is proving to be almost 100% leak proof over the past 15 years, saving huge amounts of cost in maintenance.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #52
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Yes, idiots.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #53
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I was kidding about that. I actually live with very little fear of anything. I am greatly frustrated by my local and state government at times, and I find the politicians maddening at times. Largely, I love living here and think most of the country really does not understand this state very well.

We have never gotten close to a ban on burning wood for cooking, indoors or outdoors. And I think it would surprise most of you to find that our state has had as many Republican leaders and Democratic leaders during my lifetime. MY biggest issue is that due to it's size, the cost of elections and campaigns being what they are, big business has far too much influence on the state and the manner in which much of how the state is run ends up being to their advantage.
Yep, no one could believe my dad (A UPS man) won House of Rep here in Alabama since he was running against a well backed 16 year incumbent. The small guy almost never wins anymore.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #54
landarc

I honestly can't remember the last time a truly 'small guy' won out here for a state office.

I will say, I had an acquaintance this year, a very liberal woman, who decided to go to the Alameda County Democratic Caucus to see about becoming a part of the process and to move the process to support local independent thinking. She was stunned and dejected to find that the entire process was controlled by one or two people, insiders and that they systematically cut out anyone who did not fall in line. She then checked into the County Republican Caucus and found it was exactly the same, and that the few power brokers were the same group of people.

When I laughed at her at the coffee shop, she got so angry she was spitting her words at me, I told her that a 50 year old woman should have known by now, the groups in charge all share one trait, they all love power.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #55
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
For cooking...but the state regulates/bans fires in home fire places in some areas...right?
They are trying. IIRC, every new home going up that has a fireplace is a gasser. The wood burners are grandfathered in.

If you live in an apartment, you cannot have a bbq/grill/smoker if the base of the patio or the cover is flammable (apparently, some careless crackheads burned up the apartment they were staying in with their rig, and everyone else has to suffer), unless said bb/grill/smoker is electric or gas (but not the 5 gallon type).

My rig was dormant for 18 months after that law was passed.

I am so glad that I moved to a house with an older fireplace.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #56
landarc

and no, she has not spoken one word to me in over a month.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #57
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

One of the best smells in life, is a good ol fashion leaf pile fire in chilly October.
It's a shame some folks will never know.

Regarding that gal not talking to you......it doesn't sound like you're sad. haha

Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #58
gtr

If this was WP I'd ask of she was hot. But it's not, so I won't.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #59
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

I'll ask.

Was she hot?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #60
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I will say, if you build an office building in CA and do not consider Feng Shui, you are going to lose half the real estate market.
lol...too funny