• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Shack Attack BBQ Sauce Recipe

To me it is not a bbq sauce or finishing sauce but more of a hot sauce. Maybe it was the Sriracha I used as the hot sauce but it is not something I would use for pork. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I will use it as a hot sauce. It reminded me on Louisiana I've used it several times since making on grilled chicken, pork skins, smashed potatoes and eggs. I will make again like before and also try with a little sweet.

I just tasted mine to double check and, nope, it's a delicious BBQ sauce,

Do you stay clear of any open fires when you drink this? It sounds hot from the original recipe. I used to love hot things :wink: when I was younger. But now my tastes are much milder, and I do like to sleep at night.

I made it following the recipe as posted. Only thing I did different was add a little xanthan gum to give it some cling. Did not get a chance to do a the pork shoulder I had planned because of my work schedule, but I did use it to mop 2 whole chickens on the egg. It was excellent, very tasty. If you are concerned about the heat you could add some sweetener to it, but if you are going to baste with it I wouldn't because it will burn if you aren't careful. It's a keeper in my book.

Had a few people over for a 4th of July get together, I smoked 4 butts, 6 slabs of ribs and 30 pounds of leg quarters. Made a batch of this and just sit a few bottles around on the tables. GREAT sauce. Had lots of compliments. Thanks for posting recipe.

Yep, making this when I get home tonight, probably for some thighs I'm going to grill.

Am I crazy for wanting to make two batches, one with regular texas pete style hot sauce and one with sriracha? Would sriracha work for it, or would the flavors clash too much?

I've made it 4 times already. The second time I made it I used a measuring cup and spoon to make sure I got the amounts correct. Turns out the first time I used closer to 1/2-1 cup ACV instead of 1-1/2 cups. Made it much less hot and better for pork than the first time around. This stuff is really good. I sometimes find myself drinking a teaspoon or so by itself. My changes are sriracha, dijon mustard and fresh coarse black pepper. Make sure you let it age a couple days for maximum goodness. Really good on pizza too.

I've made it 4 times already. The second time I made it I used a measuring cup and spoon to make sure I got the amounts correct. Turns out the first time I used closer to 1/2-1 cup ACV instead of 1-1/2 cups. Made it much less hot and better for pork than the first time around. This stuff is really good. I sometimes find myself drinking a teaspoon or so by itself. My changes are sriracha, dijon mustard and fresh coarse black pepper. Make sure you let it age a couple days for maximum goodness. Really good on pizza too.

I'm glad you saw the light! :laugh:

But, putting it on pizza sounds interesting.

Yep, making this when I get home tonight, probably for some thighs I'm going to grill.

Am I crazy for wanting to make two batches, one with regular texas pete style hot sauce and one with sriracha? Would sriracha work for it, or would the flavors clash too much?

I've never deviated from the recipe I listed as far as the types of ingredients. But, I would suppose that using whatever hot sauce you prefer would only make the sauce better. It's got a pretty good punch with the TP, so I bet Sriacha would take it up a notch.

I liked it so much I stole it, perfected it, renamed it "Purgatory" and made about 24 quarts of it.

I don't mean to nay say, I know I'm not the only one, but after eating a bit of it I started to get turned off. I put it on meatloaf and it got to a point where all I could taste was spicy cider vinegar. I like spice, and I like a little tang, but this just got a little overwhelming. However, I'm glad I tried it. It is nice for something different, I would just need to adjust it to my taste.

Ok, so I made a batch "as-is" with my favorite "texas pete" style hotsauce called Trappeys. Amazing, absolutely amazing. My wife was giving me the stink-eye for mixing up yet another jar of sauce, and then she tasted it and pretty much wanted to steal it to drink.

After that success I decided to mix it up a bit and make a batch with Sriracha for the hot sauce and a german "sweet-hot" mustard: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mustard-10-25-Ounce-Squeezable-Bottles/dp/B000EY3ON2"]Inglehoffer Sweet Hot Mustard, 10.25-Ounce Squeezable Bottles (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

The second batch is just as amazing as the first, if not moreso. I love it. Some version of this has just become a new must-have-on-hand-at-all-times condiment in our house, and I can't wait to explore more mustard/hotsauce combos.

Can't wait to mix up a batch and kick it up with a bit of ghost chili sauce(added...not as the primary hot sauce, i'm not that insane).

I used Frank's Red Hot (Buffalo) Sauce (all I had on hand). Maybe I just need to try it with a different sauce?

Back