• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Thanks for the reply Pappy. I'm going to drill some of the holes a little larger to help with the airflow and also to help the ash fall through the bottom. I do think the diameter may be a problem though once the thermometer is in there.

I'm still not sure about the ridges on the bottom though as I won't be able to drill any holes through those.

Weber has stainless grates for the 22.5" kettle grills (part #3070784) They are a bit pricey but they're great (no pun intended)

http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1117

I made 2 grates out of a sheet of the same expanded metal used for the basket. Probably cost me 16 total for the two and after 2 smokes they are nice and seasoned.

If you want those grates in the link, WEber.com has free shipping through the end of the month using MAYBBQ2012 at checkout.

How long are y'all getting out of your barrels?
I've been noticing that my barrel is about to need replacing soon. I think I biult this thing a little over 2 years ago. It stays in the garage, but have to admit...it's taken a few heavy rain showers unfortunately when I was too "tired" to drag it back in the garage.

My uds is about 20 months old and sits outside on my front porch. I have a cheap "wally world" cover on it, and it shows no sign of rusting out. I don't let the ashes stay in it more than a couple of days after a smoke.

When I seasoned it, I used a good coating of Pam spray on it. It has a good coating built up on it and I don't think it would rust. I have never cleaned it out as it doesn't seem to need it. I occasionally spray the pipe nipples to keep them from rusting up.

Most moisture seems to gather in the briquets so the drum stays dry all the time and none seems to puddle up as some people have mentioned. I do save the un-burned coal for the next smoke.

I see a lot of discussion on thermometer placement for height, but not where in relation to the intakes. I am building a UDS with 3 intakes. Is is best to install the thermo directly over one of the intakes so that the other 2 intakes are evenly spaced from it or between 2 intakes so an open intake is directly across from it? I plan on having the exit chimney above the thermo or possibly directly across from which ever intake I have open. I would be interested to hear any thoughts.

i was reading some past posts about new ways to use a 55-gallon drum to get the best smoke/heat draw, and then i saw a post regarding la caja china hog roaster. the question was how to get smoke into this indirect-heat-only method of cooking. so i came up with a design. i would love to hear what folks think. would this work?
smoker.jpg

i was reading some past posts about new ways to use a 55-gallon drum to get the best smoke/heat draw, and then i saw a post regarding la caja china hog roaster. the question was how to get smoke into this indirect-heat-only method of cooking. so i came up with a design. i would love to hear what folks think. would this work?
smoker.jpg

Thats an awesome design. I believe it'd work good.

smoker.jpg

I'd love to see this in it own tread as a build.

GRAVITYGUY the barrel looks good but It looks like you still need to get that tan liner coating out of there.

I'm making this for my Dad for Father's day. He's a Purdue grad and loves his boilers hoops. I had a blast making this one; only my second ever but I think it came out good. Need to add handles and a bottle opener but I'm basically done. Found a vinly car magnet on ebay that looks sharp.

P1010676.JPG

P1010675.JPG

P1010674.JPG

P1010673.JPG

I'm making this for my Dad for Father's day. He's a Purdue grad and loves his boilers hoops. I had a blast making this one; only my second ever but I think it came out good. Need to add handles and a bottle opener but I'm basically done. Found a vinly car magnet on ebay that looks sharp.

Your Dad is going to be quite happy me thinks.... :clap:

That's a beauty of a drum Mark!

I want to thank everyone for posting ALL this info about the UDS. I have seen bunches of you tube videos on the topic, and over time have read thru most of the postings in this MASSIVE thread, so now its my turn to post the "almost finished Harley Davidson themed UDS. I still have a few more things to do, but it was memorial day weekend, and it just HAD to be used. I need to repaint the lid with high temp orange yet, and dial in the controls, plus add a thermometer to it. I used one on the rack for the weekend cooks, which makes it a bit hard to dial in the temps, but overall it performed very well in both rain and HAIL...LOL. Here are the pics of Harley Davidson Ugly Drum Smoker, the food, and the hail:

DSCN1728.jpg

DSCN1732.jpg

DSCN1739.jpg

DSCN1744.jpg

DSCN1749.jpg

DSCN1741.jpg

DSCN1756.jpg

GRAVITYGUY the barrel looks good but It looks like you still need to get that tan liner coating out of there.

Dont think there's any liner in there. Mine came out the same after a sand blast. Just has a coarse finish that's all. Is that right GRAVITYGUY???

Outstanding work, RB! Food looks great too!

thanks chris! it was a bit of work building it, but a lot of fun too. There wasnt many post cooking pics because the food didnt last long enough to get pictures....LOL

:thumb:

Another DRUM is Born.....

Here are a few pics of my recent UDS build. I started working on it last weekend and finished it a couple days later. I was able to use it yesterday and with a few tweaks it worked flawlessly. Cheers!!!

The Drum. No liner...
DSCN2865.jpg

The burn...
DSCN2869.jpg

Burned out. The leaf blower did miracles...
DSCN2871.jpg

The finished Drum...
DSCN2874.jpg

Disassembled for easy cleaning...
DSCN2876.jpg

Getting seasoned & then a few Brats & Country Style Ribs...
DSCN2883.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

Back