Grilling a Tri-Tip is Continuous Flipping a Proper Way

why is that? surely memphis has these if i can, even on a rare occasion, find one in this shedhole of a state.

I keep getting a blank stare whenever I ask...I may have to go in armed with the actual USDA reference number and have them look it up.:tsk::tsk:

Is that because you can't find them locally?
Yeppers!:tsk:

I keep getting a blank stare whenever I ask...I may have to go in armed with the actual USDA reference number and have them look it up.:tsk::tsk:

down here, usually posted outside the door where the butcher comes in and out of the back of the store, there is a poster with the animals and cuts on it. i looked at one and it shows tri-tip. maybe your store has one of those posters like that.

on the flip side, winn dixie has the poster and still managed to give me two pieces of meat that looked like but were not tri tip.

down here, usually posted outside the door where the butcher comes in and out of the back of the store, there is a poster with the animals and cuts on it. i looked at one and it shows tri-tip. maybe your store has one of those posters like that.

on the flip side, winn dixie has the poster and still managed to give me two pieces of meat that looked like but were not tri tip.

Yep, my local mom and pop has that chart and they've tried to order it but it's not available to them. It's usually ground I've been told.

Unless your cows grow differently over there :wink:... Ask them for the "tip off the bottom sirloin". They should know what you're talking about. If not, go to another butcher.. :heh:

Cheers

Unless your cows grow differently over there :wink:... Ask them for the "tip off the bottom sirloin". They should know what you're talking about. If not, go to another butcher.. :heh:

Cheers
i think i may have gotten the top of the sirloin last time.....

I cook indirect on a kettle at 350 flipping once to IT of 125. I then do a quick sear, tent foil for 15 minutes or so. I have had quite acceptable results.

i think i may have gotten the top of the sirloin last time.....

... and it was the wrong thing..? The Tri tip is the tip on the lower section of the bottom sirloin. Found a diagram to help you explain it to your butcher.

Tri_tipDiagram.jpg

Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers

Top of the sirloin is also cooked in the Santa Maria and in the same way. It works fine, but, it was less common as a waste cut. In some folks mind, the sirloin head is as good a cut as any on the steer.

I cook my tri tips in my kettle for 4 minutes on each side over direct heat to sear the meat, and them cook indirect for about 35 to 40 minutes at 300. They come out awesome.

Guerry, USDA/IMPS 185c or 185d is what you want. The USDA/IMPS 185b is often sold as being a tri-tip cut, but, it is ball tip, good in it's own right, but, not as good as tri-tip. If you can get him to order a USDA/IMPS 185 then you get both.

This was done at 235F until the IT was 123F (no flip), then reverse seared at 700F for ~3 minutes per side.

IMG_7123sm.jpg

IMG_7047b.jpg

Cooking Santa Maria Tri-tip during a recent catering gig. Niman Ranch beef and our own rub. The rosemary mop adds a bit of a show.

5963401192_e011ea0d1a.jpg

5962843939_75f9f13b60.jpg

5962843521_8dcceabeb4.jpg

This was done at 235F until the IT was 123F (no flip), then reverse seared at 700F for ~3 minutes per side.

IMG_7047b.jpg

Now that looks great to me!

Cooking Santa Maria Tri-tip during a recent catering gig. Niman Ranch beef and our own rub. The rosemary mop adds a bit of a show.

5962843521_8dcceabeb4.jpg

Disposable basting brush, looks like a plan!

Back