How big a pot

bam

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
To deep-fry a 22 lbs turkey how big a pot in qts. do I need?

When I brine my 20 lb + birds, I use a 5 gallon bucket and usually only need to make 2 gallons of brine. That means it displaced 3 gallons or 12 qts..
I don't deep fry my birds but based on the math that would mean at least an 8 gal pot. Plus a safety factor. So I would think you would need at minium a 36 qt pot.

standard sized turkey pots will be plenty big enough. I want to say they are in the 30 quart range. A little taller and thinner than standard pots, which is a good thing.

My 30 quart turkey pot has plenty of room for a 22 lb turkey, although I only do <15lb. birds. Seems I read somewhere that the big birds aren't adviseable. Something to do with in the danger zone too long and the bird might dry out by the time the inner parts are up to temp.

Yes, very low and very slow. Dangit, misread the OP. I use an 8 gallon pot. Redheart threw me off and I am sticking to that story.

Holy crap!!! Deep frying a 22 pound burd??? Wow... The biggest I have ever tried was about 16... Kudos on your cajones!!!

Back